Mechs

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
captainsnarf
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Mechs

Post by captainsnarf »

YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:41 pm Looks sweet!

If you want some sound effects let me know. I could make you some bigger footstep and weapon sounds.

How does the hitbox on this work? Hit the torso and feet?
It's all faked.

As far as the game logic is concerned you *are* the pink box. The bot is just for show.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:41 pm How does the hitbox on this work? Hit the torso and feet?
Basic weapons training... aim for center mass.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Enyo wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:34 am
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:41 pm How does the hitbox on this work? Hit the torso and feet?
Basic weapons training... aim for center mass.
Good advice on vehicles. I'd like to add to this about nodes tho. I've been coaching people to aim for the ground just before the node. I've spected so many people aim dead center for the node bubble X at the top. They miss completely and shoot an air-ball without any damage to anything. I liken it to when golfing, shoot for the cup, but not to overshoot the green.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

more progress

more animation updates, sound updates
made it smaller
some work on the weapon

Stats
2000 health

primary fire 360 dmg, 1 sec fire interval
secondary fire = 3x360dmg, 3 sec fire interval

todo
damage types
skins
more mechs
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

more progress

It's almost there! I still need to play test it a lot and test net code. Also need to add them to a map properly to test the custom vehicle factories. They are too big and the regular vehicle factories don't work. For testing I hack them into the map via mutator.

There are four now. Not sure what to call these.

Rocket Mech
Flak Mech
Link Mech
Shock Mech

Ideas?
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

captainsnarf wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:49 pm more progress

It's almost there! I still need to play test it a lot and test net code. Also need to add them to a map properly to test the custom vehicle factories. They are too big and the regular vehicle factories don't work. For testing I hack them into the map via mutator.

Rocket Mech
Flak Mech
Link Mech
Shock Mech

Ideas?
Those look great, I'm pumped! That shock mech will be devastating!

As far as names, I think what you have works well. They're not super exciting but they're to the point, easy to learn, and most importantly easy to call out in-game... "Flak mech coming to node 5"

You want some help with those sounds? I'm chomping at the bit to enhance those a bit. I can definitely make them sound more "giant". Otherwise if you like them then that's cool too. You're the artist!
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:54 pm Those look great, I'm pumped! That shock mech will be devastating!

As far as names, I think what you have works well. They're not super exciting but they're to the point, easy to learn, and most importantly easy to call out in-game... "Flak mech coming to node 5"

You want some help with those sounds? I'm chomping at the bit to enhance those a bit. I can definitely make them sound more "giant". Otherwise if you like them then that's cool too. You're the artist!
Sure! Here are the sounds. It doesn't always sound the same in game, where the engine is turning those mono samples into 3d sounds.

The 'EngIdle' sound is the primary sound. It's played all the time at various pitches depending on what animations are doing. The step sound was sampled straight from robocop, then doubled up and processed a bit. The EngStart/EngStop is a random sound clip.

The other sounds are the existing weapon sounds but played at a lower pitch to sound bigger. Those should probably stay.

Bonus points for multiple sounds :) The mechs don't all have to sound the same.
Tater

Post by Tater »

It seems too easy but you could go the simple route with...
Rocketron, Flakatron, Linkatron, Shockatron. The ol' -atron technique.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

captainsnarf wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:49 pm more progress

Rocket Mech
Flak Mech
Link Mech
Shock Mech

Ideas?
Is it possible to make it so when you do a dodge jump they backpack rocket boost into a much bigger jump and maybe descend a little slowly as the rockets shut off? Not sure if you're doing a dodge jump in the video, but looks a little wonky if you are. Would be a bit of a different dynamic and movement with a bigger but slow descending jump.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

It doesn't have dodge/double jump. Only single jump. It's a vehicle so it jumps like the vehicles do e.g. manta. Maybe a future update will have double jump or e.g. jump jets. That would be fun.