CSMech

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
Enyo
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: CSMech 1.0

Post by Enyo »

pooty wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:29 am I didn't get time to do the update. I'll be travelling for work (Las Vegas!) this week, so I won't be able to update anything, but yes I planned on adding at least snipertron to Torlan.

I've added them to AJY Randomizer. Probably add them to a couple of other maps too. The only difficult part on some of the randomizers is the Mech don't usually fit in the buildings (eg. Minus). I'll probably add a few to less played maps too.. Mechs do well with open spaces and less stuff to get caught up on.
Understood... I knew about the issue with them not fitting in buildings. I was thinking Dria Rando might be fun with mechs, and maybe MassD.

I noticed on Torlan the mechs do get stuck on sharp hills very easily, assuming it's the hit box corner or something snagging the hill angles? Not sure if there's any way to fix that, maybe there's a way to make the hit box a little smaller toward the bottom where the legs are? Could make the "body" box stop at the bottom of the torso and make a second box that's more narrow for the legs. Would that potentially help with getting stuck on terrain? Seems similar to the issue we had with the updated Hurricane.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Enyo wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:32 am
pooty wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:29 am I didn't get time to do the update. I'll be travelling for work (Las Vegas!) this week, so I won't be able to update anything, but yes I planned on adding at least snipertron to Torlan.

I've added them to AJY Randomizer. Probably add them to a couple of other maps too. The only difficult part on some of the randomizers is the Mech don't usually fit in the buildings (eg. Minus). I'll probably add a few to less played maps too.. Mechs do well with open spaces and less stuff to get caught up on.
Understood... I knew about the issue with them not fitting in buildings. I was thinking Dria Rando might be fun with mechs, and maybe MassD.

I noticed on Torlan the mechs do get stuck on sharp hills very easily, assuming it's the hit box corner or something snagging the hill angles? Not sure if there's any way to fix that, maybe there's a way to make the hit box a little smaller toward the bottom where the legs are? Could make the "body" box stop at the bottom of the torso and make a second box that's more narrow for the legs. Would that potentially help with getting stuck on terrain? Seems similar to the issue we had with the updated Hurricane.
I messed with it for quite a while trying to make that work as best I could. I think part of the problem is people are going up hills thinking they are a player not a vehicle. Most vehicles would get stuck trying to go up those same hills. I can try making multiple hit boxes and see if that helps but I know they get a bit wobbly if the box is any smaller. I had to make the box bigger for snipermech due to the different mesh.

I've played Dria with the bots a bit. There are a couple arches that they don't fit in. Unfortunately the path nodes go under it so the bots all get stuck trying to go through the arches. It's only a problem with bots though. Also on Dria the mechs won't fit in the spawn points with cover like at node 5 in the middle.

I'm not sure they would be able to get out of the base in MassD. They would need to spawn outside or on top. It's a good map for them though being pretty much flat.

They barely work on BGA Core. They are kind of stuck in the spawn points but you can move forward, jump then exit and kind of fling the mech out the door. The weird thing about the mechs (and vehicles in general) is that when driven, 'karma' physics is active, but when exited, 'engine' physics are active. The hit box that doesn't fit through the door is karma physics.

They work pretty well on halloween. Minus... yeah, they work OK, just not at the base. Also they can get stuck in the canals. There is a crossbeam on the bridges that use to block them, but I specifically resized the mechs just so they would fit. It's minus, everybody want's their minus so I tried to make it work.

pro-tip - If you double jump and then exit, you'll be standing on top of the mech that is mid-air. You can double jump, exit, get a couple snipes off, then reenter before hitting the ground. Also since you are standing on it you don't take damage when falling with the mech.

Linkmech really should be specifically placed imo, similar to link badger, since the link gun has a special place in the game mechanics.
Last edited by captainsnarf on Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
infinitecat

Post by infinitecat »

Do the 'mechs have to be so large? I'm assuming you've scaled them to fit a player inside the torso but they still seem a bit oversized. I view them more as waldos rather than Gundams.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

infinitecat wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:28 pm Do the 'mechs have to be so large? I'm assuming you've scaled them to fit a player inside the torso but they still seem a bit oversized. I view them more as waldos rather than Gundams.
They could be smaller. During development they were initially twice as large as they are now. One idea was to make 'badger' versions of the same mechs where they would be tank sized. I do think smaller mechs would fit the rest of the game better.

It's that time of year and free time is fleeting. It might be a little while before I have more updates.
pooty

Post by pooty »

I do like the larger ones though for the bigger wide open maps.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

Alienhop and RedPlanet might be good candidates too. I'd be interested to see how a mino stacks up to a couple of mechs... may eventually need a bio mech.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

Mino can basically one shot the Mechs. Anything <~1600 health.

Mechs that surprise a mino - can kill it pretty quick two shockatron combos = dead mino.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

pooty wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:20 pm Mino can basically one shot the Mechs. Anything <~1600 health.

Mechs that surprise a mino - can kill it pretty quick two shockatron combos = dead mino.
Yeah, one on one and at a distance the mechs don't stand a chance. But I imagine the mino goes down pretty fast from a surprise mech gang bang.
― Mark Twain
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

I just had a dreadful thought... a Mino Mech
― Mark Twain
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Enyo wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:45 am I just had a dreadful thought... a Mino Mech
Or a Kraken Mech, gotta keep Termi happy. Any of these mechs fly yet?