Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Next Map Edits for 2021

Post by pooty »

Follow up to the previous thread...
Here's what I am working on.
1. Updated SlatedWorld. This will be a bit bigger and more complex than current Slated (which will stay untouched). Will probably have vehicle teleporter to the "islands"
2. Expanded OperaHouse, more nodes, will be combination Tanks/Trucks Foot. This needs the most work getting boundaries and node setup right.
3. IslandHop - Flooded version (really back to the original) of AlienHop. Have Gators and Boats. (Having an issue with the WaterVolumes at the moment)

Likely there will be one or two edits of less popular maps as the inspiration stikes. Map edits for vehicles are usually fairly quick whereas the above three require more dedicated time.

I will also review periodically the "archive" and post like Bramideon, Acerbus, TwoFences, maps from the past to see how they work. (There's an updated Bramideon on the server BTW). Acerbus is huge, might be a fun one for Mechs.
pooty

Re: Next Map Edits for 2021

Post by pooty »

So I have a first pass at IslandHop: https://www.omnipotents.com/utmisc/ONS- ... )o(-V2.ut2
However, there's a couple of weird issues: Sometimes in the water near the center volcano, the Alligator rolls (like the bio goo bug). Also, I've found when the vehicles are in the water, if you're in the driver seat no damage; switch to gunner (2nd/3rd) seats vehicle starts taking damage like mofo. Not sure why. There's like 50 water volumes on there...which I can't see in the editor for some reason. Some of them have Damage set at 999/sec, Engine.Burned (which to me makes no sense in water, since there's a Drowned).
If anyone want to take a look I'd appreciate it.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

I finally had a chance to open this thing and play with it. That's some strange behavior! Camera roll glitch is super annoying :(
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

I added some logging to Alligator to see why it blows up.

It's taking 'Fell' damage. This seems to be caused by a 'xFallingVolume'. That's the only class I could find in UT source that causes 'Fell' damage specifically. I'm not sure where in the level since I can't use the editor on my machine much.

Oh hey, found something else:

Pawn.uc: (vehicle is a pawn)

Code: Select all

function TakeFallingDamage()
{
	local float Shake, EffectiveSpeed;

if (Velocity.Z < -0.5 * MaxFallSpeed)
	{
		if ( Role == ROLE_Authority )
		{
		    MakeNoise(1.0);
		    if (Velocity.Z < -1 * MaxFallSpeed)
		    {
				EffectiveSpeed = Velocity.Z;
				if ( TouchingWaterVolume() )
					EffectiveSpeed = FMin(0, EffectiveSpeed + 100);
				if ( EffectiveSpeed < -1 * MaxFallSpeed )
					TakeDamage(-100 * (EffectiveSpeed + MaxFallSpeed)/MaxFallSpeed, None, Location, vect(0,0,0), class'Fell');
		    }
		}
		if ( Controller != None )
		{
			Shake = FMin(1, -1 * Velocity.Z/MaxFallSpeed);
            Controller.DamageShake(Shake);
		}
	}
	else if (Velocity.Z < -1.4 * JumpZ)
		MakeNoise(0.5);
}

So it's either the xFallingVolume doing it, or this code here, meaning the Alligator is falling out of the level for some reason.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Thanks I'll poke around at it maybe tomorrow. Sucks because its pretty much done except that....
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

I modified Alligator's TakeDamage function

if(DamageType == class'Fell')
    return;
And now it no longer blows up at that spot.

It's not really the Alligator that's broken though. I next tried driving the FireTank through there and it blows up too. I think the tank mesh might poke through the floor right there causing the engine to do fall damage to it.
pooty

Post by pooty »

I wonder if just blocking that spot with a big rock fixes it...easier than trying to dig through all the volumes....
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

I was blowing up leaving the water in a lot of areas unfortunately.

From the behavior, my hunch is they did something weird like this

Everything in the land volume is in an 'xFallingVolume' and everything below the line is in a WaterVolume. I bet the level's gravity is turned off. This way things will always float/fly in the water but behave normally above water.

That's not needed though. The engine already has buoyancy to make stuff float/fly in the water. That fallingvolume could be deleted and gravity turned on for the level instead.

It's all just a guess though.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Yeah, I finally gave up on the IslandHop, the volumes are just a freaking mess....I want to find that map maker and smack him/her.

I am going to start with our current AlienHop and add one Water Volume (the whole map is basically level)..I have this working. Now i have to add the bridges and such. The Island hop has these cool wave things, but they don't work right either--sometimes they disappear and you have to move them in the editor and they then are fine... ugh.

One question, I think the alligator should take no damage types Drowned (more? Corroded? DePressurized?), if I add damage to the WaterVolume the alligator takes it.
And strangely in any water volume I've noticed if you drive in it, you're fine -- no damage, but swtich to a gunner seat (pawn) and you take lots of damage fast (like an empty vehicle). (Nevermore works like this..and its WV have damage set to 0, None). Seems like its a water volume thing.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

To make the alligator not take water damage I did this:

defaultproperties
{
	WaterDamage=0
}
(the default from ONSVehicle is 150). This causes 'Drowned' damage when it has a value.

The gunner seat should be an easy fix. Just need to add the same thing to the gunner pawn.

There is a separate method for this also: TakeWaterDamage(). Seems to be a little different than TakeDamage. I can modify the TakeDamage to ignore drowned also just in case.

I just put out a new vehicle pack this morning with fixes for the mino. Let me make this fix real quick and I'll put out a new version.