ONS-AlienHop-Flooded

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

ONS-AlienHop-Flooded

Post by pooty »

Its here: http://www.omnipotents.com/mapdev/ONS-A ... ded-V3.ut2

There's an issue with the Alligator...it drives fine in the water UNTIL you change seats, or exit the vehicle... then the gator is stuck and will not move at all.
Anyone who wants to test or suggest changes let me know.
TotalBurn

Re: ONS-AlienHop-Flooded

Post by TotalBurn »

So far so good. I havent come across any issues. Im going to spend more time on it this weekend. Great job on putting a new spin on things!
pooty

Post by pooty »

Just need snarf to fix the stalled out Alligator...
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

sorry have had my hands full with mech poo
pooty

Post by pooty »

I poked around a bit and didn't see anything.. turns out ALL ground vehicles seem to work like that..not just the gator. If you drive another tank or scorpion into the water switch seats (which usually takes damage now) the vehicle is then stuck...

So it seems for all vehicles in a Water Volume the following apply:
Upon Driver Exit, (either leaving the vehicle or switching to a gunner seat) the vehicle is now stuck and immobile.
If sitting in a vehicle in the water in a gunner seat, (and driver empty..haven't been able to test with a gunner) the vehicle takes rapid massive damage, if bDestructive is set to true.
And if its a WaterVolume, there's a timer (built in) that after so many seconds, the volume becomes bPainCausing = True.

I think I am going to leave bDestructive off, that's what causes the second seat damage...but as far the the exit/immobile thing. I think that's either an engine bug,maybe in gameplay another vehicle could give you a push and get you going?

But for this map, I think I'll leave pain causing off..vehicles CAN go in the water, and won't take damage (just be really, really slow). Players outside a vehicle take damage after 30? seconds underwater.

The water on this map will be more of an obstacle than killing...
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

I haven't had a chance to look yet but I believe the immobile thing is due to the engine changing the Physics of the actor when you enter/exit the vehicle. It's probably setting something like PHYS_Swimming which isn't being handled by the vehicles.

For the bPainCausing thing, it looks like I can alter this function for alligator to fix it:

Code: Select all

function bool IsInPain()
{
	local PhysicsVolume V;

ForEach TouchingActors(class'PhysicsVolume',V)
		if ( V.bPainCausing && (V.DamageType != ReducedDamageType)
			&& (V.DamagePerSec > 0) )
			return true;
	return false;
}

I can make it return false for watervolumes. bDestructive seems like it's handled by native code. Not sure what to do with that. Maybe trick the game out to think there is still a driver when you switch seats. I think omnihelix does that so it stays flying while you shoot.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Alligator doesn't seem to take the damage as long as Damage Type is Drowned.
Turning off Destructive seems to be a good thing..doesn't make sense switching seats causes damage. And at least here, I don't want pain causing on..otherwise players can't swim without taking damage...

I'll probably load up the version of the map today, I don't think we're going to solve these engine physics issues entirely. Just know stalling your vehicle in the water is going to leave you stranded (even in the Gator).
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

I couldn't find the gator? I thought it spawned at the primary, but that had a fire tank.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Gator spawns at the core.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Ok, I found the gator. My hunch was correct. If you open the console and run the 'showdebug' command you can see it happen. It will show the physics as 'karma' while driving, but when you switch to passenger seat it changes to 'swimming' and then you die. I think it's fixable. Good thing is we have the mutator so it can be fixed without needing a map update.

*edit* this is fixed now