ONS-AlienHop-Flooded

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: ONS-AlienHop-Flooded

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

Played this solo tonight. Random observations for whatever they're worth:

1) The fire tank is cool. I like the arc of the fireball... that'll be handy with all the boulders on the map.
2) The heavy goliath is cool too. Maybe the backwards font can be mitigated by using symmetrical letters "H V Y"? If you want lower pitched tank engine sounds let me know.
3) The water issue is weird but I know you are all working on it
4) The Skaarj Viper gets ignored by the ion satellite (which I like)
5) It's nice to not have a mino
6) Maybe more shield tanks would be fun on this map? For node building but also for their huge knockback to send enemies into the water
7) Good stuff under the water at center node
pooty

Post by pooty »

Thanks.

2. The Texture gets Wrapped/Mirrored. So on the texture everything is correct but during rendering it gets flipped.
3. Which water issue? There was one I hopefully fixed in V5, and the Gator should work fine now based on Snarf's changes. The one I thought to fix was when underwater near the center, the water starts to "flow" up and down -- way too high and too low.
4. Interesting... not sure why that would be?
6. Yes I considered adding either another Aegis/EONS Crusader or maybe even a BattleBender (Bender with Shield, be actually useful crossing a bridge).
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

I think there should be fewer mantas. The water and bridges are great additions and then everybody ignores them by hopping in a manta.

Make the players take the bridges and use the boats.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Yes I thought about that.. Mantas bypass the water. Maybe reduce to 1 manta at the core, and another ground vehicle (scorpion) in their place. Makes the 1 manta at the core pretty valuable especially at the start, and important to kill the enemy manta quickly.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

Yeah I was gonna say that too... flyers kind of kill the bridge concept. I'm down with one flyer at the core. Any type of flyer, really. Maybe this could be a map for the Omniheliux to shine? I could see people actually utilizing it with more than just a pilot Hide a link raptor above it and that thing could wreck an entire quarter of the map.
pooty

Post by pooty »

OmniHelix could probably hit every node/core if it was high enough...its 2nd seat fire is probably too OP for this map.
But I do like your idea of the link flyer above it... once I get the randomizers updated again the link flyer will be on there, so we can get that combo. The link flyer is on Alien2 but I replaced the Helix with the now working DropShip (which fit more with the map).
TotalBurn

Post by TotalBurn »

Pooty I noticed a small issue. The cables from some of the bridges are higher than the ground. Some are sunk into the ground. But the ones that are above cause some vehicles to get hung up. The goliath type, cobra and pal do alright driving over the cables but other vehicles get snagged. Maybe we can lower the problem bridges a bit or raise the terrain under the cables?
Shot00229.jpg
Shot00229.jpg (245.26 KiB) Viewed 1699 times
pooty

Post by pooty »

Thanks, probably have to raise the terrain, but I'll take a look.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Was it my imagination, or did I see tanks driving underwater and not dying? Normally when a tank goes into the water on most other maps, they die quickly
pooty

Post by pooty »

Yes the tanks CAN go in the water and not die, it depends how the water/map is set up. All the tanks, except the swimming Gator, will get significantly slowed down and often stuck in the water though...but you can still shoot. The Boosted Scorps can get through the water too.
I chose on here to make the water just an obstacle rather than destructive...