Q-36 Space Modulator

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
McLovin
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Q-36 Space Modulator

Post by McLovin »

Put it on Panalesh, I wanna see what's behind those big doors, LOL

On Dreamus you could access the underground tunnels.

Oh wait. It's a portal coupled to the 2nd portal hole. I get it now. I thought the portal was a hole to the other side of the object.

Once, decades ago, playing a game on a TRS-80 (early 1980s), I got so frustrated with a map I edited the walls and put a hole so I could get to the treasure on the other side. LOL
pooty

Post by pooty »

So a couple of items:
It seemed not to handle tank projectiles shooting through it. Hit Scans seemed fine, but Tank projectiles got a litte screwy.

When I placed a portal on a Static Mesh, (Santa in XmasHomeSH), it shrunk. I wonder is it picking up the DrawScale from the Mesh?

Interestingly, I'd place a portal right in front of the core exit, on the floor so all the vehicles would fall through it and then get teleported to some remote part of the map.... I think there has to be a portal closer.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

pooty wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:36 pm So a couple of items:
It seemed not to handle tank projectiles shooting through it. Hit Scans seemed fine, but Tank projectiles got a litte screwy.

When I placed a portal on a Static Mesh, (Santa in XmasHomeSH), it shrunk. I wonder is it picking up the DrawScale from the Mesh?

Interestingly, I'd place a portal right in front of the core exit, on the floor so all the vehicles would fall through it and then get teleported to some remote part of the map.... I think there has to be a portal closer.
Hmm, I found the opposite. For me, projectiles worked ok but not hitscan.

The portals start at a small size and then grow to the expected size. If there is something in the way of it growing it stops, and it will resize the other side to match.

I'm not convinced we need a portal closer, but if we do what should it be? I was thinking maybe shooting portal with another portal could destroy it.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

New version! Download here CSMarvin_1.1.zip

Changes

- Shooting someone else's portal with your portal destroys it
- Add second weapon (original saucer gun). It's still a one-seater but it has two weapons now.

Once you created the portals there wasn't much to do but pancake the enemies. It needed another weapon.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

I'll probably have a new version by this afternoon, heh.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

New version available! Download here CSMarvin_1.2.zip

changes in 1.2

- Shooting other teams portal with a projectile destroys it
- new weapon to replace the original saucer weapon
- swap new weapon / portal weapon positions
- graphics and sound updates

video here
pooty

Post by pooty »

Stable enough to put on a test map? This has huge potential to dramatically change the game play. I do think it might be kind of fun on HomeSweetHome-XMAS to get quickly to 1/4 via portal though.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Yeah, I think this one is ready.

The portal code is not mine but seems to work ok offline and online. I think the biggest thing you can fit through it is a tank. Mechs and levis are too big.

The primary weapon is similar to the original saucer, except projectiles are faster and have more splash damage. The secondary is similar to the pallas/arbiter yellow secondary, except it becomes inescapable like an avril after 6 seconds. It does not home in on players, only vehicles.

It's super easy to kill an enemy portal. Hopefully that doesn't make them useless. We might need an alternate portal closer. No way to know without putting it out there though.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Its on the server in ONS-Torlan-VehicleTester-V3.ut2 but I couldn't get it to open portal?
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

pooty wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:02 pm Its on the server in ONS-Torlan-VehicleTester-V3.ut2 but I couldn't get it to open portal?
Did you switch weapons?