Q-36 Space Modulator

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
Enyo
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Q-36 Space Modulator

Post by Enyo »

I wouldn't worry about it at all snarf... Anonymous gets upset if anything drags his FPS below 200, lol. I've had zero problems with the Modulator, but I also don't care if my FPS goes from 85 down to 80.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

I haven't specifically checked my fps when playing with/against that vehicle...but I haven't noticed anything slowing down either. I am only running a 1080 GTX and don't have any issues.
I'll check next time we play a map with it.
Anonymous.

Post by Anonymous. »

It's not a GPU bottleneck, nothing in this game can bottleneck a modern GPU. Everything comes down to the CPU. Emitters in this game cause massive performance drops, which is what I'm seeing here.

I made a video to demonstrate this. On the FPS counter I show steady state, fire a few shots, then wait until the FPS returns to steady state. This is just one Q-36, with two or more I imagine it would get pretty bad. I'm not doing this to be a dick, I just genuinely believe this is a valid performance issue which should be addressed.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M5IfO2 ... sp=sharing
pooty

Post by pooty »

Can you open access on the video?

Moon Mines has multiple Q36s...not sure we've noticed.
Anonymous.

Post by Anonymous. »

pooty wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:44 pm Can you open access on the video?

Moon Mines has multiple Q36s...not sure we've noticed.
Sorry, try now.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

I'll see what I can do. I think it might be too many alpha channels. In your video, since those projectiles are on top of each other and also transparent, the engine has no choice but to render them back to front resulting in multiple render passes.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Ok, I do want to nitpick something though, that's a very high framerate. By default the online fps is capped to 85 fps. To get a faster framerate you have to up the netspeed which then puts more stress on number of packets/second.

At 290 fps, you're over 3x the default frame rate and does your monitor go that high? And now the packets/s has tripled....so any network issues will be much more apparent. (I am guessing your video was done running locally?)

Even as it degrades its well over 85fps down to a measly 120 fps. :shock:

I think before we go working on it, up to you snarf, but I'd test it online with a few of us to see if it affects most of us at the 85fps mark. As a side most of the time I play with that, which I can get easily, occasionally I'll up the netspeed to unlock it, but doesn't seem to make too much difference (even with GSync and 144hz monitor). I bet most of the Omni players wouldn't notice it. Worth looking into for sure.

Point is, we are probably pushing the engine here with those super high (for 2004 game anyway) frame rates.
pooty

Post by pooty »

spinning is the problem?
Made me think of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBlhgAkJBos
pooty

Post by pooty »

So I tested it locally and on the server (by myself).
My nominal fps were ~150 on both, flying about with constant firing, I saw a bit of a drop into the 110 ish range, but couldn't get it to go lower. Also curiously enough its goes lower if I fire continuously in straight line, vs spinning/flying around spraying everywhere...
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

I'm seeing the same issue as Anonymous. I never noticed because, well, I'm not that good lol. I go from 120 to around 70. That sucks.