github for omni

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
captainsnarf
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

github for omni

Post by captainsnarf »

It's probably time we had a place for our mod source. We can setup a free private repo for our stuff. I tried briefly setting up a team on github but 'omni' and 'omnipotents' are already taken. 'omnip)o(tents' translates to 'omnip_o_tents' which sounds like camping equipment. I think maybe pooty should be the one to set it up as they will end up as the owner.

The bombers, the mechs, and the link nuke are 100% my source. We can do with those whatever as I don't care. They are MIT licensed as far as I care. The rest of my stuff are mods of mods. We can't host them publicly without the original author's permission also, so the repo needs to be private. I have 24 different packages I've made, a few with multiple vehicles per package.
pooty

Re: github for omni

Post by pooty »

Sounds good. I'll take a look. If someone already has omnipotents I might have to send them a cease and desist letter (j/k).
pooty

Post by pooty »

I have @OmnipotentS on GitHub. Under my omni email, not my personal one.
How do we want to set this up... I don't use git much.
I used it to set up
https://github.com/OmnipotentsONS

So anyone that's interested feel free to PM me your github name and I'll add you (So far I think that's me, Snarf, ItsMeAgain, TotalBurn and ??)
pooty

Post by pooty »

I pushed all the source code I've modified.
I didn't push all the dependecies, the .u files are all on redirect/server.

I do wonder if we should have a directory for the current compiled .u for all the source?
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

pooty wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:33 am I pushed all the source code I've modified.
I didn't push all the dependecies, the .u files are all on redirect/server.

I do wonder if we should have a directory for the current compiled .u for all the source?
Nice!

Generally you shouldn't put binaries into the repo, the exception being content files that you do want version controlled.

Unless we rewrite the git history (unusual), every file that goes into the repo is there forever. If you delete a file and didn't mean to, you can rollback to the the original file. That only works if the original file is stored forever. That means each iteration of .u files would blow up the size of the repo.

For my own stuff I don't mind zipping it up and putting it on my one drive (1TB).