LinkVehicles 3.0

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: LinkVehicles 3.0

Post by pooty »

@Snarf, I think we could build this package and add the link scoring from ONSPlus vehicles to the LinkTanks, LinkBadger (maybe have to go in CSBadgerFix), GoatSucker. This might ease a bit of the scoring -- it one obvious hole, if you spend nearly the round in the Link Badger healing stuff you don't get lots of points which isn't right.

We do need to standardize the link tank(s), upon closer inspection there's at least 4 variations.
I propose
LinkBadger - 600 Health, Like it is now (Sorry but 1000hp Link Badger is way too OP. We can leave the one as is on Mega, but the rest of the maps needs some balance), this is the "fast" ground linker.
LinkTank - 800 Health, Single Seat Link Turret only, increase the speed a bit. (Similar to the one on Nevermore)
HeavyLinkTank - 1200 Health, Primary Link Turret, 2nd Plasma Turret, 3rd seat plasma lasers (this is pretty similar to the current Link Tank 2.0 on some maps, but more health).

The LinkFlyer, aka GoatSucker is pretty much covered in the other thread. I don't see a need for the link scorpion or additional vehicles. The other three vehicles that provide link are Wraith 2nd seat, Odin 2nd/3rd seat, Hospitaler (6th/7th seats). So I think we are covered.
pooty

Post by pooty »

As a stretch this weekend I'll try to get the LinkTanks together...
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

The way ONSPlus works is kinda weird. We can probably make a new package with a 'VehicleLinkHandler' class with a static helper method e.g.

Code: Select all

static function ScoreHeal(Vehicle v, int HealDamage)
then just need to call it in each vehicle's HealDamage function.

I still believe this will do nothing for the balancer issues. Some players will do a lot better on the scoreboard though.

Where is the balancer code?
pooty

Post by pooty »

captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

I see. It's entirely based on points per hour. It looks like your stats are cleared out if you haven't played in 30 days (or whatever the setting is set to).
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

captainsnarf wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:36 am I see. It's entirely based on points per hour. It looks like your stats are cleared out if you haven't played in 30 days (or whatever the setting is set to).
Right, PPH based, which is entirely based on scoring, which is currently not rewarding similar events the same, i.e. the link vehicles not rewarding pts. There's still an issue going on of sporadically rewarding only 1pt for kills regardless of vehicle, even MAS or mino. Termi's also noticed it and has mentioned this in game and on the forum too. He reminded me last night that sometimes building/destroying nodes solo only rewards 1 pt. I've seen that happen too. Therefore, PPHs are skewed.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
Terminator

Post by Terminator »

Enyo wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:58 am
captainsnarf wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:36 am I see. It's entirely based on points per hour. It looks like your stats are cleared out if you haven't played in 30 days (or whatever the setting is set to).
Right, PPH based, which is entirely based on scoring, which is currently not rewarding similar events the same, i.e. the link vehicles not rewarding pts. There's still an issue going on of sporadically rewarding only 1pt for kills regardless of vehicle, even MAS or mino. Termi's also noticed it and has mentioned this in game and on the forum too. He reminded me last night that sometimes building/destroying nodes solo only rewards 1 pt. I've seen that happen too. Therefore, PPHs are skewed.
Yes, I noticed this for a while, even on the old omni server. I seem to notice the scoring glitch more when you join mid game and play, everything is fine that game. Then the following map is when I often notice the scoring glitch; no damage points, no points for building / destroying nodes. I haven't noticed anything with linking nodes. I remember joining mid game and next map was Dria - Randomizer and pooty said, "do something termi" because I was there for 10 minutes and had 18 points. I was in the Pallas, and I look at my score, I had 18 points and 15 points were player kills. I was deployed by the center wall, destroying the lake node / keeping it down and killing enemies in vehicles but I was not getting the points for damage and node destroying thus the scoring glitch. I must have shot that node 6 times with the Pallas deployed primary ppc and nothing. I wonder if my other 3 points were from building the primary. I always check the node on any Randomizer for a MAS (Leviathan, Kraken, Tiamat, Shocker, Pallas, Hospitaler) and if none there then I go to primary nodes to help build as often one will spawn there. Maybe that is where my 3 points came from. But I know I didn't get any from destroying lake node or damage points. Pooty I was helping, you just didn't see my Pallas by the wall.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

pooty wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:51 am @Snarf, I think we could build this package and add the link scoring from ONSPlus vehicles to the LinkTanks, LinkBadger (maybe have to go in CSBadgerFix), GoatSucker. This might ease a bit of the scoring -- it one obvious hole, if you spend nearly the round in the Link Badger healing stuff you don't get lots of points which isn't right.

We do need to standardize the link tank(s), upon closer inspection there's at least 4 variations.
I propose
LinkBadger - 600 Health, Like it is now (Sorry but 1000hp Link Badger is way too OP. We can leave the one as is on Mega, but the rest of the maps needs some balance), this is the "fast" ground linker.
LinkTank - 800 Health, Single Seat Link Turret only, increase the speed a bit. (Similar to the one on Nevermore)
HeavyLinkTank - 1200 Health, Primary Link Turret, 2nd Plasma Turret, 3rd seat plasma lasers (this is pretty similar to the current Link Tank 2.0 on some maps, but more health).

The LinkFlyer, aka GoatSucker is pretty much covered in the other thread. I don't see a need for the link scorpion or additional vehicles. The other three vehicles that provide link are Wraith 2nd seat, Odin 2nd/3rd seat, Hospitaler (6th/7th seats). So I think we are covered.
I'm not sure what the fix is here? I tested and all the link vehicles give you points for linking nodes.

If you want to split healing points for all the linkers linking a vehicle that is going to be a bit more work. The ONSPlus linkguns have an extra array of linked pawns that it uses to keep track, but that won't work for the link vehicles as they have a different design (weapon vs onsweapon). It looks like we would need to modify each vehicle's heal damage function instead.

Is that really an issue in the scoring? I rarely see people link the link vehicle that is linking the node.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

captainsnarf wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:59 am
Is that really an issue in the scoring? I rarely see people link the link vehicle that is linking the node.
Unfortunately this is true... I didn't even realize how much faster link vehicles link nodes when they're being linked too until you showed the math on it. It's WAY faster than linking foot soldiers. Link your link vehicles people, it's the most effective way to link anything.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Enyo wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:13 am ...
I didn't even realize how much faster link vehicles link nodes when they're being linked too until you showed the math on it. It's WAY faster than linking foot soldiers. Link your link vehicles people, it's the most effective way to link anything.
Whoa, wut? Are you saying linking the link vehicle that is charging the node is faster than the link vehicle linking the players linking the node?

Linking in series test cases:
1. Link Vehicle -> Player -> Node = Slower
2. Player -> Link Vehicle -> Node = Faster?