Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: LinkVehicles 3.0

Post by pooty »

Yes. For the most part.

The only few that are really of any use:
EONS (Boost) Scorpions - can speed you across the map
Link Scorpion
Webcaster - Full Web does a large amount of damage to Mantas/Tanks.
Sometimes
Tyrant (not the 2.0) which the cannon does 250pts.
FireAnt - Very fast ground speed.

Rest are some what useless too. I think between tanks (which pick them off easily) and badgers which fill the small nimble ground vehicle category, might not be worth bothering with Scorps.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

pooty wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:11 am Yes. For the most part.

The only few that are really of any use:
EONS (Boost) Scorpions - can speed you across the map
Link Scorpion
Webcaster - Full Web does a large amount of damage to Mantas/Tanks.
Sometimes
Tyrant (not the 2.0) which the cannon does 250pts.
FireAnt - Very fast ground speed.

Rest are some what useless too. I think between tanks (which pick them off easily) and badgers which fill the small nimble ground vehicle category, might not be worth bothering with Scorps.
I think we could pare it down to your list above and scrap the rest. EONS and Tyrant are the only two I ever bother getting in, and only when nothing better is available. The Link Scorpion should either be sped up or have an EONS-like boost. I've tried using the Link Scorpion several times, but find I usually never make it to a node because it's nearly impossible to get it through the gauntlet of tanks and flyers.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
Tater

Post by Tater »

The EONS one has the special property that forces people out of fliers if you hit them 3 times, which is helpful. I wish the boost was faster than the other scorp variants, its top speed I think is the same as the fast ones.
This, the Mantis (laser), Nova (suicide bomb), and Hyena (flak) are the only useful ones, all the others can be scrapped how I see it.

Also since this is in the LinkVehicles thread... linkraptor (cerberus I think it was called, or... goatsucker?) might need a nerf of some kind if it's gonna be used in regular maps. Dominates on Nevermore pretty good, might need health reduction or so.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

The fact that it can heal itself is pretty broken. You should have to get out and use your linkgun like every other vehicle.
Terminator

Post by Terminator »

Tater wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:39 am The EONS one has the special property that forces people out of fliers if you hit them 3 times, which is helpful. I wish the boost was faster than the other scorp variants, its top speed I think is the same as the fast ones.
This, the Mantis (laser), Nova (suicide bomb), and Hyena (flak) are the only useful ones, all the others can be scrapped how I see it.
The Mantis is not a laser scorpion, it's a twin beam scorpion like the Hellbender rear turret. Problem with the Mantis is that it only does 200 damage when fully charged. Cerberus & Hellhound do 300 damage. So even the Mantis is ineffective at times.
Tater

Post by Tater »

Terminator wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:18 pm Problem with the Mantis is that it only does 200 damage when fully charged. Cerberus & Hellhound do 300 damage. So even the Mantis is ineffective at times.
I think that's a pretty good balance, in Mantis you can drive and shoot + it's faster. the hellbenders you have to switch seats, can't move on your own.
Only a matter of time though before the railgun starts getting attached to scorpions and fliers lol
pooty

Post by pooty »

The fact that it can heal itself is pretty broken. You should have to get out and use your linkgun like every other vehicle.
Yes, we need to remove/reduce that big time. There's a couple of other vehicles, notably Wraith and Odin that have link/healing capabilities... but Wraith is 2nd seat, so you need a gunner or you're stationary. Odin is tank, slow moving target -- although it has two link/heal turrets, so fully loaded up close it would be formidable -- but its not going to race across the map.

The GoatSucker/Chupacabra/LinkFlyer - doesn't have really any weakness... its fairly fast, manuverable, and can easily heal to 450hp. In air combat, it wrecks most flyers as the link locks on damages/heals. It can dance around most tanks. Things that kill it are Twin Beams, Lasers and Avrils.

All that being said, its a priority target. I think just reducing the heal, to maybe 1 heal per 10 damage would be ok. Or maybe reduce damage from the link beam... we should be able to reduce the damage without changing the link effectiveness (healing nodes/other vehicles).
infinitecat

Post by infinitecat »

In the early UT2K4 days the Scorpion was fun. The sounds the blades made when then opened/broke, the way you could fuck up a tank quickly, the cool green web it spat out, and it was a lot faster than walking.

It'd be a shame to junk it so I think the answer might a Stealth Scorpion with increased armor. Which makes sense as they're normally sneaky and hard to kill in real life.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

Goatsucker (Chupacabra) does have a distinct weakness against flyers with long range weapons. It's practically useless on MassDestruction with all the flyers on there, it's no match for the Starbolt.

However, on maps like Nevermore it's a bitch to kill with the vampire drain and it has lots of obstacles to dodge and hide around. I've had it several times where I don't die in it for a much longer period of time than any other vehicle I get in.

So, I think it partly depends on the environment it's in and what other flyers are on the map to counter it. But, even centaurs can't kill it before you swoop in and heal back up with the centaur's health. The heal rate should probably be reduced a little before reducing its damage. See how it does first, it will definitely die a little easier.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

Goatsucker (Chupacabra) does have a distinct weakness against flyers with long range weapons. It's practically useless on MassDestruction with all the flyers on there, it's no match for the Starbolt.
Except, as seen last night, its generally fast enough, and nimble enough to keep up with other flyers, and get close to drain them quickly. Last night I was getting killed in < 2s in things with 500-900hp. I couldn't escape from it in a Predator. I think other than Wyvern or Starbolt, its as fast as the other flyers.
I do think the beam damage needs to be nerfed. This would solve the healing, as part of the reason in a dogfight its so hard to kill is that its damaging and healing at the same time (its beam also has a wide angle/area than the beam on say the wraith (only good under it)). Even the almighty Predator falls pretty fast to it. If we reduce the beam damage, the power of the vehicle would move to healing vehicles/nodes vs. wide spread beam that kills pretty much everything.
BTW: I used it on MassD if you can get past the anti-air its pretty good in the tower.. kills stuff coming in while healing...