EvenMatchOmni

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
McLovin
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: EvenMatchOmni

Post by McLovin »

YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:18 pm Yeah really what’s the goal here? Nail-biters every time? I think it’s good how it is with minor adjustments as found fitting. It was fun to suddenly wreck the other team on Red Planet the other night.
YES I do prefer nail-biters. Else I get bored and start sand-bagging, donating my mino to the enemy team and other BS (and gawd forbid doing douchey stuff to the enemy core).

Sure it's fun to have a blow-out and rape the enemy core, but it's sadistic, not my preferred mode. The funnest games are the ones where you are hanging on by your fingernails or the ones where the underdogs make a Hail Mary and win. Those are the best.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

McLovin wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:01 am The funnest games are the ones where you are hanging on by your fingernails or the ones where the underdogs make a Hail Mary and win. Those are the best.
I think it really depends on the map, and not so much player skill balance. Maps like MB, MTMU and Djunk naturally have a lot of back and forth even when teams aren't totally even, because there's multiple node paths and they're just well balanced maps. They often end in nail biters and comeback wins.

That's why they're so popular, the frequent back and forth, as opposed to DM style maps with choke points that seem to drag on forever, and require a visit to the rheumatologist the next day. But, it's nice to break up the same maps getting played over and over, at least for some of us.

And then consider the asymmetrical maps where the map itself is imbalanced to favor one side, what sense does it make to try and get balanced play out of those maps anyway? Original Dria anyone? That's why Dria Randomizer is better IMO... the multitudes of fast flyers that pop up help mitigate the map's own imbalance.

So, maybe instead of focusing so much on player balance, the focus should be mostly on map balance?
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

New version, download here EvenMatchOmni_2.8.zip

changes
- More customscore updates to try and fix the 0 score rounds
- add logging around PPH calculation, new joins
- Fix the node energy sphere not always showing
pooty

Post by pooty »

On server.
pooty

Post by pooty »

We are still getting zero score rounds. Last night on RedPlanet
https://www.omnipotents.com/utstats/mat ... match=4768

We killed them quick second round (red), blue had 1-0 lead. Only seems to happen within the 2pt time.

I also saw where the adds are still going to the wrong team... it was 3v3, blue had the lower score, it added me to red.

All that aside, there's still usual grumbling about the balancer... last night on Minus blue (my team) steamrolled them..during the second round I went to spec red -- I won't name names -- but talk about no teamwork, driving around just deathmatching, bypassing node, no team linking etc. Bottom line it is what it is, we can fix the glitches, but there will always be players that hurt their team/don't work together well.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

pooty wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:07 am Bottom line it is what it is, we can fix the glitches, but there will always be players that hurt their team/don't work together well.
Some time ago it used to be those players were the minority, now they're unfortunately the majority left in this game. I'm afraid this game may finally being nearing its end of life. It's just not very fun anymore when you hardly ever get any teamwork at all, even on a full team of 16 players.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

I did add more logs. You should be able to find in logs where you were added. Also we've had plenty of wins within 2pt time that did not glitch out. I'm really not sure why it glitches out sometimes.

I've followed the event system all the way backwards to where the initial event is triggered that eventually calls EvenMatch -> CheckScore function. It is only called once when the power core is destroyed by takedamage. As far as I can tell it's not getting called twice.

I still think it's an issue with replication between Level.Game, Level.Game.GameReplicationInfo, and Level.GRI. They all have net replication around the score. Not sure who is winning.

Initially I followed EvenMatch mulligan code where it resets the score by changing Level.GRI. To make 1 pt scoring work I change Level.GRI also. But we had some 0-0 glitches. I then changed the scoring to only change Level.Game score. That also works, but we still had some 0-0 scoring.

I then tried changing both Level.Game and Level.GRI to match. That didn't work at all. Score was always 0 - 0.

I think in the latest version we update Level.GRI but also make sure Level.Game.GameReplicationInfo matches Level.GRI (these are assigned in the ONS initialization code). I was hoping that would fix it but we still have 0-0 sometimes.
pooty

Post by pooty »

A simple solution might be to just reduce the regulation time, currently 4 minutes, and about 10 mins core drain. We could just set 1 or 2 min regulation which should all but eliminate it as is...

Or perhaps turn the mulligan back on within the 4 minute window (which really only happens rarely with real mismatched teams anyway). The Mulligan would reshuffle the bad teams, which I think its good, I'd be in favor of turning it back on vs. changing the timings.

WRT to new player adds, it seems to be working based on what I saw in the logs, except in the one case I observed, which sadly we didn't have the log as it got overwritten (we only keep 1 log back).
pooty

Post by pooty »

Maybe this has some hints about the scoring glitch: https://github.com/CrushaKRool/ut2k4_mu ... normalizer
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Nice find. Unfortunately I don't see anything different that we are doing. He's changing Level.Game.Score like I did in my second/third attempt. The latest version we are using is changing Level.GRI like EvenMatch does for mulligan.

His comments in code are a bit off as this is never called for a power node, only a power core. I can understand the confusion as powernodes are also powercores but I've traced this pretty thoroughly. The delegate is only assigned to cores not nodes.

The only thing I see different is checking the bGameEnded variable. I can add that check also. He does some logic in case Scorer == None but I assume that never happens in our version and will throw errors if it ever did. Pretty sure that never happens and Scorer is always available.