Any interest in non-symmetrical map?

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
TotalBurn

Any interest in non-symmetrical map?

Post by TotalBurn »

How does everyone feel about a non-symmetrical map? I was playing with a DM map converting it into ONS. Has some cool visuals and provides to good tactical situations. But the issue is that one side would have a slight advantage. If the match went into a second round then both teams would have that advantage.

Far from finished, it has 7 nodes with a cut off. I think the map could support badgers, mantas, couple of tanks (rail etc), pali and 2 flyers. I put the goliath on the map for scale. There is also a cut off point. The center node is on a lower level, inside a train car.

So what do you guys think? Worth further development or does the map look too small?
Shot00210.jpg
Shot00210.jpg (233.03 KiB) Viewed 1551 times
Shot00211.jpg
Shot00211.jpg (210.94 KiB) Viewed 1551 times
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Any interest in non-symmetrical map?

Post by pooty »

I like it. I've been toying with the idea of non symmetrical maps and/or vehicle loadouts. Likely just going to take bit more play testing to get it right..but often on here, if the map isn't "good" right away it tends to fall out of favor quickly as most want to go back to usual power dozen.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

I like it too. Especially because it's a smaller map. So many of our maps are not good when you have less than a 6x6 playing, for example DJY.
TotalBurn

Post by TotalBurn »

Thanks for the feedback! I am going to go ahead and keep moving forward with this and I hope to have a version for you guys to try out this weekend. Its playable now, but needs lots of tweaking and cleanup.

Ive always been in favor of smaller maps because they have allot of action. I also like the night time theme of this. I thought of some ideas to give the weaker side some advantages to balance the game play. I'll post updates and downloads in this thread.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Looks awesome :) I wouldn't worry about the asymmetry. Everybody loves Dria. If the imbalance is only slight you could probably compensate by adjusting the node health values.
TotalBurn

Post by TotalBurn »

captainsnarf wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:13 pmLooks awesome :) I wouldn't worry about the asymmetry. Everybody loves Dria. If the imbalance is only slight you could probably compensate by adjusting the node health values.
Great suggestion! Where the inbalance comes in to play is the location of the bridge. Im looking forward to get a more playable version uploaded here so you guys can check it out. I really value your opinions.
pooty

Post by pooty »

I wanted to make a David vs. Goliath map where one team had a bunch of smaller vehicles and the other had big one or two (think EONS scorps vs Tiamat) or such. The map terrain would also have to play a factor.
infinitecat

Post by infinitecat »

pooty wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:47 pm I wanted to make a David vs. Goliath map where one team had a bunch of smaller vehicles and the other had big one or two (think EONS scorps vs Tiamat) or such.
Years ago I ran a Battletech game which pitted two 100-ton King Crabs against ten 20-ton Wasps. I didn't think the Wasps would just fly in and Punch the Crab cockpits into guacamole.
TotalBurn

Post by TotalBurn »

pooty wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:47 pm I wanted to make a David vs. Goliath map where one team had a bunch of smaller vehicles and the other had big one or two (think EONS scorps vs Tiamat) or such. The map terrain would also have to play a factor.
That sounds like it would be allot of fun! People would learn how to use the additional seats. Could become a fav on the server.

Initial testing release for ONS-Hanger-18
Download link
For anyone not familiar with G drive, there is a DL icon in the far upper right

The todo list for this map is very long. I wont bother listing everything lol
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

pooty wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:47 pm I wanted to make a David vs. Goliath map where one team had a bunch of smaller vehicles and the other had big one or two (think EONS scorps vs Tiamat) or such. The map terrain would also have to play a factor.
This sounds awesome. Could randomize it too. OP vehicles as Mantas, Tiamats, Minos vs scorps

I like the non symmetrical map idea too. It'd have a bit more of an assault vibe but I think that can be some good variety.