Moon Mines.

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Moon Mines.

Post by pooty »

Would it be easier to copy the Marlboro boxes from Ganja and just change the Mesh?
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Pretty sure that would work, but would that make a dependency on ONS-GanjasRoom ? That, I'm not sure of. I think you are more familiar with embedded vs reference than I am :)

When I originally made it, I created a separate 'GanjasRoom.u' file and then followed the embedding instructions. Then in the editor a changed the mesh from the barrel to the marlboro box. Also in GanjasRoom.u are the custom 'GanjaNode' power nodes.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

captainsnarf wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:05 am
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:49 am Cool I didn’t know you could have movable terrain/objects in this game
Me either! :) I was playing around with the Q-36 saucer on the original DM-Ganjas-Room and was very surprised to see the abduction beam suck up all the marlboro boxes. But then it didn't work on the server. That's when I found the replication stuff for KActors and got it working online also.

You can have a pretty large number of KActors in a map, but it will need to be restricted for maps that work online since they are all sending network updates about their positions. I think there is about 30 on ONS-GanjasRoom.
I'm sure every dev for this server already has a huge shopping list, but some actually movable landscape vehicles could be cool. I always thought it was silly that the destroyed cars/vans on Nevermore don't budge when hit by anything. Whether or not this helps gameplay, I doubt it though.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

One idea was to take the KActor thing and make a bunch of rectangular blocks like the marlboro boxes. Then use a cement texture and scale them up larger. Then build a destroyable level out of them.
pooty

Post by pooty »

If its embedded in the map aka obj load file=gangaroom.u package=myLevel puts the whole .u in the map. If you copy it to another map it will embed it there as well. So that should work. But I think maybe we should make a higher level package we can import and re-use, and if we tweak it will update on all maps if its not embedded.

Maybe you could put the code on the git repo?

I have an edit of this almost done, and I replaced the link flyer with linkatron, but I think I need another flyer (or put goat sucker back). With the Avrils replaced by Batteries I don't think the GS is as much a OP threat.

I have added low grav, quad jump, mutwheeledvehiclestunts (this lets benders and scorps jump). I need to add a few EONS Scorp (super boost?) and raise the ceiling a bit.

I think I'll export those and make the boost longer, and/or recharge slower, plus up the damage a bit. As a side, thoughts on making a few variations of this Scorpion? Mostly people don't use them, but I think adding boost to a few of the other Scorp variants might be fun, and give them a more useful aspect vs. just big damage. Imagine a boosted Hyena? boosted webcaster?
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

pooty wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:27 am I have an edit of this almost done, and I replaced the link flyer with linkatron, but I think I need another flyer (or put goat sucker back). With the Avrils replaced by Batteries I don't think the GS is as much a OP threat.
Yeah, I may have been a little premature on suggesting removing the GOAT. After playing the map with SK10 and a couple other good rail tank and heavy tank snipers, they were picking off every flyer with ease. Hopefully raising the ceiling a bit will help - when they had their sniper tanks spread out, you couldn't even flank them, you couldn't fly at a high enough angle to ever be able to close in on them, and with this map being much more open, there's not many obstacles you can fly behind.

Put the GOAT back in if you think it's not hurting anything.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

Another idea would be to elevate some of the nodes off the ground, like on moon-base style tower/antennae structures or something, with warps or jumps to the tops. So many maps have all the nodes just on the ground, why not take advantage of the fact there's 3 dimensions? And on this map, having some nodes elevated up and some down on the ground won't be as confusing as other maps that do that since this one is so wide open. I know this map is structured as you found it, just an idea.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

The 'csganjaroom' package is added to the repo.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

Enyo wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:50 pm Another idea would be to elevate some of the nodes off the ground, like on moon-base style tower/antennae structures or something, with warps or jumps to the tops. So many maps have all the nodes just on the ground, why not take advantage of the fact there's 3 dimensions? And on this map, having some nodes elevated up and some down on the ground won't be as confusing as other maps that do that since this one is so wide open. I know this map is structured as you found it, just an idea.
Tanks could then hit the high nodes too
pooty

Post by pooty »

ONS-MoonMines-)o(-V1-Beta4.ut2

Changes: Low Gravity, QuadJump, MutWheelVehicleStunts, Added Linkatron, kept Goat Sucker. Raised Ceiling a bit. Added some Boost Scorps. Misc Fixes.