UTComp

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: UTComp

Post by pooty »

All good its installed on the server. With 15 minutes to spare lol.

Node points at 8. This works--fully linking it the whole time gives you 8 pts. I didn't check the destroy though but easy enough to see.

One thing on the minimap when you teleport or spawn, the colored dots are showing up, but on ONS plus if you hovered over the dot it showed the vehicle name--is it possible to get that in? Its useful to see if the Mino has spawned etc.

Lets see how play goes tonight if there's any issues.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

It seemed to go pretty well, at least for me.

- Leon complained of lag initially. I looked in the scoreboard where it shows P and L and he did have some L > 0 sometimes. It seemed like it was only him though.
- Once I saw nautikal was on the blue team, but he had the red bright skin. I only saw that once though.
- Azazel said he couldn't dodge once, but didn't hear any complaints after that.
- Sometimes you can move after the game is over. It seemed to happen a lot more tonight.

Any other issues spotted?
DrScrotey

Post by DrScrotey »

My game crashed 4 times, but a cleared cache fixed it. Anyone who's crashing I advise do the same.
Anonymous.

Post by Anonymous. »

captainsnarf wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:10 pm It seemed to go pretty well, at least for me.

- Leon complained of lag initially. I looked in the scoreboard where it shows P and L and he did have some L > 0 sometimes. It seemed like it was only him though.
- Once I saw nautikal was on the blue team, but he had the red bright skin. I only saw that once though.
- Azazel said he couldn't dodge once, but didn't hear any complaints after that.
- Sometimes you can move after the game is over. It seemed to happen a lot more tonight.

Any other issues spotted?
The lag issues were definitely real, symptoms like tank turrets not loading in, missing guns/link beam, etc. Azazel saying he couldn't dodge was most likely due to the lag as well, since he has high ping you tend to rubber band more at high FPS - this is exacerbated by the server lagging (at 250 FPS the server's performance becomes the deciding factor on whether or not you'll be able to dodge, double jump, etc.).

The hit sounds were really nice and very revealing on how the vehicle guns actually work (e.g. lasers showing up every fifth shot when in reality the fire rate is much faster). I'm not too upset about the lag since the enhanced netcode and hit sounds are unbelievably amazing quality of life changes, especially for high ping players. Other than the end of game issue and additional lag, I haven't noticed anything obvious.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

I wonder if the lag issue can be fixed by changing the MinNetSpeed and MaxNetSpeed settings? The original UTComp defaults were 15000 and 25000. I think Pooty set them to 10001 and 20000. I doubt anybody has anything higher than 10000 set in their configs (other than some death match players like anon ;) ). 10001 uncaps the fps, so maybe everybody was uncapped tonight.
Anonymous.

Post by Anonymous. »

captainsnarf wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:42 am I wonder if the lag issue can be fixed by changing the MinNetSpeed and MaxNetSpeed settings? The original UTComp defaults were 15000 and 25000. I think Pooty set them to 10001 and 20000. I doubt anybody has anything higher than 10000 set in their configs (other than some death match players like anon ;) ). 10001 uncaps the fps, so maybe everybody was uncapped tonight.
You can actually set it to something like 5000, that's still enough for the default 90 FPS. That's half the theoretical bandwidth assuming everyone uses the default of 10000.
pooty

Post by pooty »

I doubt anybody has anything higher than 10000 set in their configs (other than some death match players like anon ;) ). 10001 uncaps the fps, so maybe everybody was uncapped tonight.
So I set it to 10001, 15000, there's another area in the UT2004.ini that caps the server MaxInternetRate at 15000. But it does mean that every player (at least it did for me) gets set to 10001 netspeed, which uncaps the fps. I was the 115+ fps all night, there was some occasional lag, and a few "missing turrets" especially on HomeSweetHome (probably one of the more demanding maps). I didn't notice any significant PL, but my internet was pretty crappy yesterday based on my earlier TV streaming interruptions.

Server shows CPU did spike to around 60% at ~20:00 Central, with about 24 players, (HSH Map) and compared to the previous night 28 players (DJY) and 42% CPU. Something spiked it, I suspect the faster netspeed. I propose changing the lower value to 9000, not sure if that overrides the client settings? If you set your client over 10000 it caps at 10000, and you have to manually netspeed it to higher -- clearly UTComp is allowing that. I've noticed in the past if the CPU reported by NFO goes much over 45% we start to see some lag issues. And this % is a ganglia normalized CPU, not directly a process CPU % since I don't have direct access to that on the server since its managed.

Interesting that this: https://www.omnipotents.com/utstats/mat ... ?match=825 shows netspeeds of 10000, when I am 100% I was at 10001 based on fps. I think that's a bug in UTStats or how the game's reporting it.

That being said,to me lag was infrequent and intermittent.

I didn't notice any skin issues, although sometimes at spawn with spawn protection they looked different.

Issues:
- End of game shot repeating
- End of match delay with 5 to 1 countdown, didn't seem to happen all the time.
- Couldn't tell if we got healing points.

Node scoring, we were definitely handing out 8 pts a node, which was good, but it seemed that the primarily linker still got the lion's share. At one point snarf started the node and we both immediately linked, he got 6 pts I got 2. Not sure what the logic is for the increased scoring? Ideally it'd be something like this: 2pts for starting a node that finishes, and 6 pts for linking divided equally amongst linkers. Now we know there's some "rounding" errors so we need to test it.
I did notice getting points more often on destroying half built nodes.

It does change the scoring dynamic:
https://www.omnipotents.com/utstats/mat ... ?match=824
https://www.omnipotents.com/utstats/mat ... ?match=829
https://www.omnipotents.com/utstats/mat ... ?match=826

Node builders/destoryers getting big time points, which I think was one of the primary goals.

Might be nice to have a testing session at some point with 2-4 players.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

I think the UTComp net speed settings are best explained with the code behind it -

Code: Select all

event PlayerTick(float DeltaTime)
{
    if (Level.NetMode == NM_Client && RepInfo != none) {
       if (Player.CurrentNetSpeed > RepInfo.MaxNetSpeed)
            SetNetSpeed(RepInfo.MaxNetSpeed);
        else if (Player.CurrentNetSpeed < RepInfo.MinNetSpeed)
            SetNetSpeed(RepInfo.MinNetSpeed);
    }
 }
Since this is in the PlayerTick method, it happens after the match starts so it won't be recorded in the game stats.

There is another setting related to net speed, 'Desired Network Update Rate'

The default is 90 and the max allowed is 250. It's only used by the player input code. It determines how quickly new player movements are sent to the server. This might be why azazel had the dodge issue. Players with high ping might need a higher value here.

The lag issues on HSH might be the mechs also. They are not the most optimally written mods for sure.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Yep, I'll set the minimum to 10000 not 10001 and see if that helps.
I really don't think over 10000 is necessary unless you're keen on seeing your fps go over 85. I mean that's 8.5 frames a sec, 1 frame .125s is faster usually than average human reaction time of .15 and .3 s
pooty

Post by pooty »

Ok set the minimum to 9300, I saw a few players in the StatsDB that had it set lower than 10000.

I did connect and it set me to 10000 (my .ini file setting). So lets see how it goes, this should reduce game load unless folks manually set their netspeed.