UTComp

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
captainsnarf
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: UTComp

Post by captainsnarf »

So the checkbox 'Enhanced Net' turns on/off the Enhanced Net weapons.
The 'DesiredNetUpdateRate' changes how player movement input is registered. It has nothing to do with enhanced net weapons. They are separate features. Players cannot turn this value on/off like the weapons, but they can change the value until it works OK for them. The only way to turn it off is to turn off NewNet code on the server for everybody.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Code: Select all

add this from utcomp 1.8c:

Add DesiredNetUpdateRate Client-Setting

Allows clients to control how many updates they send to the server persecond.
Additional updates are mostly redundant, so this can improve connectionreliability in exchange for higher bandwidth.
Fewer updates decrease bandwidth requirements in exchange for decreasedstability under packet-loss.

The server can restrict how often clients are allowed to send updateswith both a lower and an upper limit on the rate of updates.`

add minimum netspeed from UTComp 1.8c, this will force all players to atleast use a specific netspeed or higher resulting in smoother gameplay always. lower netspeeds can be harder to hit that higher netspeed players currently.
That ^^ tells me we don't need 100+ NetUpdates. Seems like if you had ping issues, you don't want this too high. This is updates PER second. Given that most are running netspeed < 10000 and capped at 85 fps, no reason to have 100+ updates / sec.
I think we set minNetSpeed at 9300 (which is the lowest I saw folks connecting with).

https://www.utzone.de/forum/showthread.php?t=4326
So we shouldn't need huge netspeeds either (> 13500)..
Not sure how NetUpdatesSec equates to packets/s; but too high net update is just swamping server with redundant data, (and slowing your client).

Not sure why Azazel has dodge problems...even with a slightly higher ping shouldn't be an issue?

So lets pick some top values, I suggest
Min/Max Netspeed 9300/13500
DesiredNetUpdateRate Min/Max/Default: 45/120/90

I'll take a look later today.
pooty

Post by pooty »

So here's what its set to now:

MinNetSpeed=9300
MaxNetSpeed=13500 (Lowered the limit from 15000 which was server max previously)

MinNetUpdateRate=60.000000 (UT Comp Default, didn't want to allow it lower unless reason to do so)
MaxNetUpdateRate=125.000000 (Lowered from 200 I think) See below I don't think anyone needs more update frequency (I bet a few like Anon might like it but I don't think we can support everyone at those speeds so there's a limit to make it the same for all)
NewNetUpdateFrequency=90 (Lowered from 100, I think this is the "default" for new netcode).

Snarf, let me know if you feel we should have different values.

BTW. The server has been running with the 28 tick rate and UTComp, so I didn't lower like we did previously and seemed to be fine.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Those numbers seem ok to me.

The UTComp default for NewNetUpdateFrequency was 200 and it was hard coded before. I made it configurable so we could try and reduce the load on the server.

The default for actors is 100. 90 might be too low since it's less than everything else, but we can try it and see. I didn't have a problem aiming with it at 100.
pooty

Post by pooty »

I'll set it to 100
pooty

Post by pooty »

Ok. On AJY-Rando, it was pretty bad. Lag, glitches. Even with the current settings and it even affected those with Enhanced Netcode off. On. Didn't matter. We didn't see that behavior when UTComp was gone entirely.
27 Players, according to the NFO charts, and CPU was under 40%, so didn't look anywhere near CPU bound.

Something in that UTComp code doesn't work right with all the vehicles. It seems to work ok with fewer players, but it still felt glitchy even on TwinFang and that wasn't as heavily loaded, at times it felt better, but it was inconsistent.

I think we should turn it off until we can figure out what's making it lag, we didn't see that with it off and just ONSPlus on. At its best that doesn't feel as good for aiming as UTComp, but its decent and decent more of the time.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Try turning off netcode in the server settings. That should stop the lag while still giving hitsounds and brightskins.

Code: Select all

bEnableEnhancedNetCode=False
We tried that before but it broke the link gun. That's fixed now.
Super Sanka

Post by Super Sanka »

No problems with Link today good job on that fix!

Bath, NM, AJY and Dria were perfect for me. Mass D my vehicle would lock sporadically and then I would get this weird delay anytime I moved towards mid or parked near the Levi. I have a pretty good setup and net so I know it's not that. I had the netspeed option turned on and it was set at 110 I believe. Thoughts?
pooty

Post by pooty »

Let's let a few others chime in as well on the experience, and lets see how it goes tonight. MassD is a brutal map for the server, lots of vehicles and everything basically in a giant spambox so everything has to update everything else....

If we turn off the netcode entirely (in the server), then we might as well go back to ONSPlus, add hitsounds either from UTComp code, another standalone mutator. Same with brightskins. I guess what features does UTComp give us if we turn off the netcode? ONSPlus gives us damage points, potentially shield points and vehicle names on the dots....

Do we think we can figure out what's causing the lag with the enhanced netcode? I suspect there's some interaction with vehicles.

I'd love to get all the features working and thanks to Snarf for his hard work pulling all this together.

If anyone would like to help test this out let us know, we have a testing server potentially available...and need some players.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Super Sanka wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:15 am No problems with Link today good job on that fix!

Bath, NM, AJY and Dria were perfect for me. Mass D my vehicle would lock sporadically and then I would get this weird delay anytime I moved towards mid or parked near the Levi. I have a pretty good setup and net so I know it's not that. I had the netspeed option turned on and it was set at 110 I believe. Thoughts?
I think the main issue is linking 'link' vehicles like link badger with newnet=true in the F5 menu. I still believe that is broken. I diff'd the three different linkgun sources and I don't see the issue. I'll need to debug it.

For me it was very noticeable the server was getting lagged again pretty hard. I looked at the usage and it looks similar to without utcomp on, but the cpu spikes are higher, 10-20% more than with it turned off. I saw many tanks driving around without turrets. Some of the comments I've read say that utcomp needs a higher tick rate, like 35-40. Ours is 28, but setting it higher kills the cpu also.

The CEONSS admins have very graciously given us access to a new dedicated server that we can test on. I think we should leave the newnet code turned off on the omni server and try to get it working better on the new server instead. We can try turning up the tick rate and changing utcomp code on the new server without affecting our players.

ONSPlus gives us damage points, potentially shield points and vehicle names on the dots....
Damage points are pretty easy to add. The code is actually there in UTComp but it is commented out. Shield points only worked for the Paladin. I'd have to add the modified Paladin vehicle from ONSPlus back to ONSPlusOmni to make it work (all of those vehicles were deleted). And vehicle names on the dots.. I guess I'll get working on it :lol: The main thing UTComp gives us over ONSPlus is better source code. Man I hate working on ONSPlus :( As long as turning off the net code fixes the lag issue then I think we should keep UTCompOmni over ONSPlusOmni. It's much nicer source code.