UTComp

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: UTComp

Post by pooty »

New values. Should help reduce node/linking points which were pretty high. If I linked a node full it gave me 10pts not 8?

Code: Select all

NodeIsolateBonusPct=20 (was 25)
VehicleHealScore=250
PowerCoreScore=10
PowerNodeScore=6 (was 8)
NodeHealBonusPct=50 (was 60)
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Killing a node was 8 points. With linking bonus at 60 percent, linking a node full was 12 points.
Anonymous.

Post by Anonymous. »

Please check the settings for netspeed. I can't manually set my netspeed as the command gets ignored. I suspect this is what's causing my issues as my netspeed isn't high enough to sustain my frame rate, resulting in packet loss (noregs, have to press E multiple times to enter/exit, etc.). I was able to capture it on video where I had about 5 noregs in a row, I even started leading my shots thinking UTComp wasn't on until the last shot finally registered.
https://streamable.com/oy73xv

On the topic of scoring, currently linking and destroying nodes gives too many points. This disincentivizes team play because a player defending the node only gets 1 point per kill, while the linker can get up to 10 just by standing still and right clicking (I know 10pts wasn't intended, but set that aside for now). This leads to a few issues:
  1. Too many points for linking nodes where it ends up hurting the the team (linking a locked node, fully linking a node instead of going to the next, linking a damaged built node instead going to the next, etc.)
  2. The scores become lopsided once a team is being steamrolled, as building/destroying nodes becomes nearly impossible on the losing team, leading to point inflation on the winning team which skews the stats
  3. You barely get anything for trying to destroy key vehicles like the mino, ion, levi, etc., that are preventing your team from destroying or building nodes. If you die in the process and don't kill the vehicle, your effort was wasted because damage points only count if you kill the player with the vehicle (if your teammate steals the kill, you end up getting 0 points despite having done all the work, likewise if they jump out of the vehicle before it's destroyed)
Taking these points into consideration, it will look like a player is doing nothing when in reality they are the backbone of the team; clearing out enemies so teammates can safely build a node, and further keep the node up so the next node can be destroyed. It makes zero sense to disproportionately reward players for right clicking while the defenders do all the work. If a team is comprised of players that are only good at linking nodes, then that could explain the lopsidedness we've been having.
pooty wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:02 amgoing from 85fps to 120+ fps doesn't change much in the way of gameplay
You're getting a third of the visual information and nearly 3x delay of 250 FPS (not to mention 85 FPS on a 60Hz display will result in stuttering due to the mistiming).
pooty

Post by pooty »

You should be able to set netspeed to 15000, this was the server max even prior to UTComp. I'll double check the configs.
1. Too many points for linking nodes where it ends up hurting the the team (linking a locked node, fully linking a node instead of going to the next, linking a damaged built node instead going to the next, etc.)
The idea was that node building is key to ONS, not kills. There were a couple of goals with increasing node points, a. reward players who build nodes vs. just snipe b. make sure that when a person teams up and links, they get points for that team work. Right now 10-12 was yes way to high, it should be around 6-8. It has to be a bit higher, and if a single person links the whole node its one of the more valuable actions, especially during the beginning of the game. We can play with the range a bit, maybe its 5-7 or something.

On NVM last night, FuzzySlippers had lots of points, mostly from continued link tank usage -- which directly led to a core kill, as he spent much time linking 3 so the PPC couldn't kill it... keeping nodes up to me is also valuable...
2. The scores become lopsided once a team is being steamrolled, as building/destroying nodes becomes nearly impossible on the losing team, leading to point inflation on the winning team which skews the stats
True, but reducing the points above should reduce this skew considerably.
3. You barely get anything for trying to destroy key vehicles like the mino, ion, levi,
etc., that are preventing your team from destroying or building nodes. If you die in the process and don't kill the vehicle, your effort was wasted because damage points only count if you kill the player with the vehicle (if your teammate steals the kill, you end up getting 0 points despite having done all the work, likewise if they jump out of the vehicle before it's destroyed)
Key vehicles should net you 5 pts, plus 1 for each player. (I don't think Ion has that designation) The problem with damage points is twofold, mino/levi spammers rack up points quite fast (lots of deaths plus damage points) which then skews the points (exactly like your point #2) while not necessarily helping team play. Damage points have been off for at least a year.
We could try turning them on, but it just rewards the big vehicle users too much (they will already get massive points -- mino on minus, gets points for kills and node kills easily -- adding to it just skews it worse). That being said, worth considering because if you do team up on those vehicles you should get points. Given that now we have additional points for linking/healing nodes, turning damage points on might make sense (Snarf does that feature still exist?)

What do others think?
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Suggestion

NodeIsolateBonusPct=100
VehicleHealScore=250
PowerCoreScore=10
PowerNodeScore=2
NodeHealBonusPct=150
2 points for destroying a node, 5 points for linking a node, 2 points for each node severed, no bonus points for linking a locked node (requires a code change). I admit I did link a locked node to get more points :roll: :lol:

-1 point for taking a the mino from its spawn. If you can't make that up from killing nodes and players in the mino, you deserve the -1. (code change)
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

captainsnarf wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:28 am Suggestion

NodeIsolateBonusPct=100
VehicleHealScore=250
PowerCoreScore=10
PowerNodeScore=2
NodeHealBonusPct=150
2 points for destroying a node, 5 points for linking a node, 2 points for each node severed, no bonus points for linking a locked node (requires a code change). I admit I did link a locked node to get more points :roll: :lol:

-1 point for taking a the mino from its spawn. If you can't make that up from killing nodes and players in the mino, you deserve the -1. (code change)
Only 2 pts for destroying a node??? It used to be 5, and so did building nodes. Am I missing something?
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

But you will get points for an unlocked node that's being linked? Meaning node is built, taken damage but hasn't gone down, do you get points refreshing it -- this often happens while its being shot to keep it up.

I'll make the suggested changes later today.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Interesting, can you change player score on driver enter?
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

pooty wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:12 am But you will get points for an unlocked node that's being linked? Meaning node is built, taken damage but hasn't gone down, do you get points refreshing it -- this often happens while its being shot to keep it up.

And linking a locked node that has very low health is quite useful... I've linked up tons of locked nodes so that when I'm en route to the next one, the locked node I just healed is less likely to get destroyed when it unlocks and before I can even get to the next one.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

pooty wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:14 am
Interesting, can you change player score on driver enter?
You can if you modify the vehicle :D This way when scrubs take the power vehicles and waste them, it reflects in their score.
Enyo wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:16 am
pooty wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:12 am But you will get points for an unlocked node that's being linked? Meaning node is built, taken damage but hasn't gone down, do you get points refreshing it -- this often happens while its being shot to keep it up.

And linking a locked node that has very low health is quite useful... I've linked up tons of locked nodes so that when I'm en route to the next one, the locked node I just healed is less likely to get destroyed before I can even get to the next one.
You'd still get points, just not 'bonus' linking points. If node points are 2, then you'd get up to 2 points depending how low it was. This does require a code change. Currently you get bonus linking points for linking any node, locked or not.

I managed to reproduce the bug where players can move around after the game ends. A few players have already commented this is very annoying. It's a pain to reproduce though. I have to play a full game vs bots on a dedicated server to repro it.

I'm working on a fix for that, and I'll add the 'no bonus points for locked nodes' as a configurable feature also. Hopefully I'll have something today or tomorrow.

-1 pt for taking the mino from the spawn point will need a change to the omnitaur code.