UTComp

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
DrScrotey

Re: UTComp

Post by DrScrotey »

captainsnarf wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:23 am The CEONSS admins have very graciously given us access to a new dedicated server that we can test on.
What pals! Thanks Ema!
captainsnarf
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Post by captainsnarf »

pooty wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:06 am
With newnet=false on the server, that mutator barely does anything.
So why would it leave avrils all over the map? There's something there doing that (fixed now), but perhaps that's part of what might be showing some performance issues. We still saw yesterday on VolcanoHigh the ghost players as well, although I don't know how to repo those.
Here it is:

Code: Select all

class UTComp_ONSAVRiL extends ONSAVRiL;

event ModeFire()
{
    ...RecordUTCompStats(...)...
    super.ModeFire()
}

defaultproperties
{
   FireModeClass(0)=class'UTComp_ONSAVRiLWeaponFire';
   PickupClass=class'UTComp_ONSAVRiLPickup';
}
PickupClass was missing.

When you die you drop the weapon you were holding. Not sure why but it was spawning a pickup instead of the weapon itself. It was annoying but really shouldn't have caused any performance issues. CPU usage yesterday never went over 30%.

My guess is the ghost players are when someone gets switched or leaves, their bright skin gets left behind. I remember someone saying this bug is in UTComp1.7 also.
pooty

Post by pooty »

really shouldn't have caused any performance issues. CPU usage yesterday never went over 30%.
Agreed. CPU was pretty low, so we shouldn't have any issue. That being said its still UT2004, with all the vehicles and some maps we might still have lag (MassD).

One thing that I think is particularly hard on the server is the super fast vehicles/projectiles. The occasional fast mino shot isn't that big of deal, but fast vehicles (eg. Starbolt, boosted Guppy Bomber types, and few others) IMO are much harder on the server. I suspect there's a reason we haven't seen these type of really fast vehicles in the past. Now I have no plans to slow them down (although we did slow the 'Bolt from its original speed). Also in the past homing missiles, spider mines were pretty hard on the server IIRC (there was a bunch of good stuff on this on the old forum, sadly gone).

I think we should keep track of which maps (vehicles) have the most lag. Could be map issue (lack of anti-portals), or vehicle coding issues. Randomizers will be high on the list because typically lots of heavy (in terms of server usage) vehicles. Have we seen lag on more traditional vehicle loadouts? We know that if we try to play the Vehicle loadout map it becomes unplayable after about 12 players.
pooty

Post by pooty »

1.23 on server.
pooty

Post by pooty »

I still felt like we had a bit of lag/missing turrets etc on Minus-TMU and Dria-Rando last night. I can't remember getting that when running ONSPlus. Not saying we should go back to that, but I think there's still a bunch of optimization needed. I would like to try a couple of days on ONSPlus and see if that lag shows up when loaded, I don't seem to remember it doing so.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Sure go for it. I saw the lag on Minus-TMU also.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

If we have enhanced netcode off anyway, maybe we want this instead?

BrightSkins and HitSounds
pooty

Post by pooty »

I'll take a look. I might get to it later this afternoon, if not probably this weekend.

I think we can continue to work on getting the enhanced netcode working, but there's some interaction with Vehicles, and maybe we can debug that on the test server.
pooty

Post by pooty »

I've turned off UTComp for now. Lets see how that goes, in terms of lags or crashes.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

pooty wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:24 am I've turned off UTComp for now. Lets see how that goes, in terms of lags or crashes.
lol, just when I made a new version.

New version! Download here UTCompOmni_1.24.zip

- Fix bug where linking didn't work on link vehicles with server setting enhancednet=true
- Fix bug where fast movement such as doding may not have worked with server setting enhancednet=true
- If client netspeed is > 10000, automatically set netspeed for client
- Remove bAlwaysRelevant flag for UTComp_xPawn to reduce net load