HellBenders and their ilk..

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

HellBenders and their ilk..

Post by pooty »

So anyone else feel that HellHounds, King HellHounds and pretty much any Bender should have an easier time on hills? I feel like especially on the JY randomizers it sucks not to be able to get them up the hill -- I meant they are like badass 4x4 trucks, but can't climb the hills?

I think a small tweak that let them drive up hills would improve them and make them more useful.
Enyo

Re: HellBenders and their ilk..

Post by Enyo »

Just add the climbing ability from the Mantis to benders. I think one of the benders on RedPlanet already has it, I've seen some players like Termi get a bender on top of one of the cliffs.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
4Doors

Post by 4Doors »

Maybe some other (small) buffs could occur as well? I don't know about anyone else, but the HellBender class of vehicles seem one of the most neglected to me. Only time I see consistent use out of them is people using the rear turret to snipe vehicles and people on MasterBath.
Bruh im just tryna be famous
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

I guess you've never opened the 'Loadout' test map. Next to scorpions, there are more benders than anything.

Most of our maps have a lot of vehicle to choose from. Hard to choose the bender when you have tanks and flyers available also.

To make them go up hills you can change the values in the TorqueCurve property. Dark Leviathan has some larger values there. :)

MegaBadger's torque curve

Code: Select all

TorqueCurve=(Points=(
  (InVal=0.0,OutVal=3.000000),      // first 'gear'
  (InVal=200.0,OutVal=5.000000),    // second 
  (InVal=1200.000000,OutVal=12.000000), // third 
  (InVal=1500.000000,OutVal=0.0)    // cut off
  ))
You can add more values for more 'gears'. InVal is how fast it's going, outval is how much acceleration to apply at that speed. So between speeds 0-200, 3.0 is the output torque, which is why megabadger can barely make it up a hill from a dead stop.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Correct!

HellBender (Stock Vehicle)
EONS HellBender (like Stock, but Driver gets seat 2 sky mine weapon)
HellHound
King HellHound
FireHound
BioHound
Cerberus (Two versions with slightly different weapons)
Assault Bender (has a nice alt-fire that damages everything in 360* close by)
BattleBender (has a front shield, but its too small IMO to be really useful)
Crusader/Heavy Crusader (shield based from same family as the Hospitaler)
There's also a weird bender with tank cannon.

If terminator was here he could make sure I got them all.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Just add the climbing ability from the Mantis to benders.
That's actually a bit of bug between the Mantis and the MutWheeledVehicleStuntsMutator (which lets some ground vehicles jump and do various stunts). I am not sure we want a vertical climbing Bender? Maybe that should be reserved for the Spider Tank?
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

pooty wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:27 pm
Just add the climbing ability from the Mantis to benders.
That's actually a bit of bug between the Mantis and the MutWheeledVehicleStuntsMutator (which lets some ground vehicles jump and do various stunts). I am not sure we want a vertical climbing Bender? Maybe that should be reserved for the Spider Tank?
I think some of the benders should be able to climb at least near vertical, that would make them much more useful.

The spider should be able to not only climb vertically, but climb onto any surface, even upside down on a ceiling. I can just see the spider on the ceiling in MasterShower now! :twisted:
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

I think giving them all nitro/jump ability would be great. You can actually get them on-site quicker and up tricky climbs.
Super Sanka

Post by Super Sanka »

pooty wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:38 am So anyone else feel that HellHounds, King HellHounds and pretty much any Bender should have an easier time on hills? I feel like especially on the JY randomizers it sucks not to be able to get them up the hill -- I meant they are like badass 4x4 trucks, but can't climb the hills?

I think a small tweak that let them drive up hills would improve them and make them more useful.
That tweak would make them more useful but still, a lot of the tanks just do thier jobs better. For anti-air, I would much rather use a fire or bio tank that has an infinitely better primary fire, more hp and is faster than using a stationary vehicle like a bender. Lasers do more dps and since there are 600-800 hp flyers, benders get left in the dust. For example, the jyd strategy of parking a centaur up on the hill would still be better than a bender even if you were to make them drive up there.

A good ability would be giving it a stealth badger like cloak so you can at least play like a real "sniper".
pooty

Post by pooty »

Lasers do more dps and since there are 600-800 hp flyers, benders get left in the dust. For example, the jyd strategy of parking a centaur up on the hill would still be better than a bender even if you were to make them drive up there.

A good ability would be giving it a stealth badger like cloak so you can at least play like a real "sniper".
King HellHound has powerful lasers vs. twin beams. Cerberus has powerful minigun and homing missles.

I like the idea of the Stealth HellHound.

I think the idea to differentiate the Benders from tanks would be ground speed (faster) and ability to climb so that they can get to places tanks can't go and get there faster. Otherwise, you are correct, rather have Hurricane or Bio lasers than a 'Hound Twinbeams.