Randomizer candidates...

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Randomizer candidates...

Post by pooty »

So since Randomizers are pretty popular I've thought about giving the randomizer treatment to a couple of maps:

VolcanoHigh - Good for Kitchensink like mix I think.
Valarna - Might be better with more tanks with less flyers-- but still some (remove Omega for sure)
Acerbus (Huge map with the Library and falcons in the middle) - Might be good for the Kitchensink treatment, or perhaps this needs more careful edit.

Thoughts?
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Re: Randomizer candidates...

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

Good call. Yeah I think this'll be a good way to make those less popular maps get played more. There are some maps that clearly took a ton of time for someone to build that apparently just arent our cup of tea.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:32 pm Good call. Yeah I think this'll be a good way to make those less popular maps get played more. There are some maps that clearly took a ton of time for someone to build that apparently just arent our cup of tea.
Agreed, they're huge maps with weak or not enough flyers. Making them into randomizers are sure to get more play on them.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Enyo wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:01 pm ...
Agreed, they're huge maps with weak or not enough flyers. Making them into randomizers are sure to get more play on them.
F the flyers. More MegaBadgers, please. LOL
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

And I also think a randomizer map can be a live-action sandbox to find which vehicle configurations work for certain maps.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Yes, we just did the live action sandbox of Volcano High...

So needs some adjusting. All flyers are available. Have to check point values which control the balance of vehicles on each node grouping.
Fixed vehicles at core Mino, Hospitaler, Helix (figured with Helix if there weren't many flyers...get on the bus..)

1. Remove the toon vehicles (goes for pretty much everything else too)
2. For VolcanoHigh - I think a couple of options
a. 2/3 flyers, 1/3 vehicles that work on the map (Benders, Badgers, Mantis) Benders, esp HellHound and KHH work really well as they can now climb all the hills, except the very steepest (1/13) front side. I had good success racing to 3/12/10 with KHH and using the powerful combo in seat 2 to take out the nodes quickly and laser keep the flyers off..
b. All Random Flyers, some fixed Benders, Tanks at certain nodes -- to help defend against flyers. Maybe add a few turrets.
Tanks aren't so useful--takes to long. So keep only "fast" vehicles..noderunner, firebug (pretty fast and jumps), mantas, as "cheap" filler rides.

It is randomizer, so there's some "random" you might not always get a good mix...but I think I like option a. You'd get enough flyers often enough, and I include mantas as flyers, but they are lower point value.

Also should VolcanoHigh get link nuke and/or a couple of boards? Leaning against it, as I think it'd unbalance the map in a bad way.
Super Sanka

Post by Super Sanka »

Was fun but the map would be better if you update to the new Aurora and get rid of Draco.

Just add every raptor type of flyer we have on that map and not make it randomizer. Itll be the ultimate flyer map! That would be wild. You could start off with bombers and helix at the core and get the raptor types at different nodes. Replace the ion tank with the omega and the ppc with one of the new benders for air defense.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Was fun but the map would be better if you update to the new Aurora and get rid of Draco.
Yes, I need to export out the Aurora. I think it needs its own file, otherwise there's no way to tell which version it is in the map editor. I think there should be two versions:
SkyMiner - aka Weak Aurora (good for maps where the original is too powerful).
Aurora - the powerful one.... generally a well placed combo brings down a node/most tanks in one go.

Why all the hate on the Draco? Its not the fastest, nor has any distance, but its good on maps that don't have the OP flyers. I also think perhaps increasing the damage a bit on it -- it has to get close up, and it ought to kick ass on anything close, since its basically defenseless otherwise.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Exported out Auroras (see other thread)

Cleaned up VolcanoHigh-Randomizer, very flyer heavy and ground vehicles are usually powerful (link badger) or have antiair capability (Benders, Badgers, Hurricane, Rail Tank etc). I think about 60+% are flyers(mantas, raptor, bombers, copters, etc.). Should get at least one and often half of vehicles loaded are flyers. All flyers in play.
Super Sanka

Post by Super Sanka »

Nice. Ty pooty.

Maybe if the Draco was faster? You gotta get in close and anyone not named joekameltoe would be able to hit and dodge the flames. Also it creates a big ass explosion so even if you eject you die heh