Too much minus

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
Enyo
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Too much minus

Post by Enyo »

captainsnarf wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:44 am I think Valarna is probably the most taxing yet, even more than MassD. It's a big bowl of terrain. There are plenty of spots you can see the entire map but are out of max range of all weapons. You can sit on the hill in a levi and spam their core but they can't shoot back because it's too far (levi has longest range in the game at 25000 units).
Could always add a heavy fog that sits in that bowl, make it harder to know where to point those levis or long range tanks and lasers. Does it make rendering easier since you can't see everything happening through fog?
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Enyo wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:55 am ...
Could always add a heavy fog that sits in that bowl, make it harder to know where to point those levis or long range tanks and lasers.
HEAVY FOG!

I once played a Quake CTF server where you could only see with 2 eyeballs out in the distance. It's super creepy and scary, even on maps you are familiar with because everything was blacked out with the artificial blinders. If somebody was right next to you, you wouldn't see them until you pointed your eyeballs in their direction.

Nobody here knew how to implement such a modification. The ideas thrown out were to use heavy fog. Unless they were near, you couldn't see them. This would really change up the strategy and play on any map that it was implemented on. This is probably better for death-match-style maps. It would be hella-fun to dial in the fog on small maps and see how they play. Definitely would be creepy and scary as hell as I remember.
pooty

Post by pooty »

I could add some fog to it.. might be interesting to have the levels above the fog layer, though keep in mind the power node skybeams will be visible above/through the fog so flyers will be able to hit the nodes fairly easily (especially with hit sounds), but the grounders won't be able to see the flyers...I'll have to play with the distances a bit so you can see thorugh it directly overhead but not across the map. Should be doable.