Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Grit Nights 2022

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

For those curious...

To pass the trials you need to
1) Jump to first platforms (maybe double jump, I can't remember but this part is easy)
2) The first jump that seems impossibly long is doable with a dodge jump
3) As is the next jump around the corner
4) From here you need to shield jump onto the high platform (you only get one attempt with 100 health)
5) Once on the high platform, jump diagonally toward the wall opposite the ending platform. Dodge jump off the wall and you'll land on the ending platform. It doesn't seem like you'll make it but you will. The pillars appear to have a space to land on but it's false and if you jump toward them you'll fall.
6) Enjoy your weapons even though you probably should have spent that time in a Hammerhead
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:58 am For those curious...

To pass the trials you need to
Pics or it never happened. LOL

Seriously tho, a video demo would be awesome. I've spectated it, but I can't do it.
Super Sanka

Post by Super Sanka »

YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Super Sanka wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:23 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7AVyIVq4JE

Here you go
Interesting that you can wall jump to those long platforms. I just launch straight to them with a dodge jump.

Ever been in a trials server? They're nightmarish compared to this.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Super Sanka wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:23 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7AVyIVq4JE

Here you go
OMGosh, so amazing. Thank you.
Terminator

Post by Terminator »

Judas wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:51 pm
Terminator wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:05 am
pooty wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:55 am

Because the players that are good enough to get it, don't need the OP noskillz to add to their advantage.
Sounds like a band aid for a "I can't do the trials"
I understand what you're saying here -- there should be a skill ceiling and people should be rewarded for their effort to complete difficult obstacles. However, I don't think it makes sense in this context. 99% of the players either are unaware of the trials, or choose not to engage with it. The 1% of the players that do have such a disproportionate impact on the outcome of the match without meaningful counter-play available that the outcome becomes unrewarding to the vast majority of participants in the match. Besides, who logs on to UT2004 (in 2022!) to complete a punishing obstacle course? There's plenty of other games that do it better.

I also understand the idea that the trials are available to players of both teams. If both teams have access to a powerful tool, then the outcome is decided by the teams who use the tool best, which makes sense. However, this still doesn't IMO mean that it's fair, because the vast majority of players just aren't doing the trials, no teamwork is required to complete the trial and get the weapon, and it doesn't make sense on a tactical level to devote resources (time, vehicles) to preventing the one person from the enemy team who actually bothers with the trials from completing the trials and getting the weapon. I personally don't bother with it because just floating around the whole map exploding everyone effortlessly just isn't very fun. It also pisses people off when they just lose to stuff like that from a single individual without having a chance to stop it. I simply wish to irritate my opponents gently as I play to win.

An alternative idea would be to put a giant hideous neon sign in front of the trial pyramid saying "ENTER IF YOU DARE!" or something so at least people know what's there.
I understand but I disagree. Anyone can go down there and if you choose not to, then it's on you.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

In the 18 or so years of playing, the match the other night where anon got the noskilz translocator was the first game ever I saw someone complete the trials in game and use the weapons.

I would wait until it comes to the point where half of each team is going to the trials every time we play that map before considering changing it. If you remove it you might as well remove noskilz flak from AJ, omfg from massd, and probably linknuke from every map. Their existence on those maps dominates how you play them.
Super Sanka

Post by Super Sanka »

YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:47 pm

Here you go
Interesting that you can wall jump to those long platforms. I just launch straight to them with a dodge jump.

I made it as easy as possible. I think alternatively you can switch to 3rd person and also shield jump up the base of the pillar with health if you have a shield pickup. Haven't tried it though.

Also haven't been to a trials server as I'm an ONS scrub :D
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Super Sanka wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:53 pm
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:47 pm

Here you go

I made it as easy as possible. I think alternatively you can switch to 3rd person and also shield jump up the base of the pillar with health if you have a shield pickup. Haven't tried it though.

Also haven't been to a trials server as I'm an ONS scrub :D
Check one out sometime, they're insane. I believe they're listed under Assault but I can't remember. I have no idea what kind of person would put in the time to memorize keystrokes like that to play those maps.