Map Styles...

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Map Styles...

Post by pooty »

So it was nice to play TAL and Tyrant last night. I think going forward any maps/changes will be more "toned down". We've got a couple "free for all" maps with lots of power vehicles (Minus-KitchenSink, Dria-Rando, MassD and Valarna). But I think its better for play with less power for a couple reasons:
1. It keeps things more balanced, one really good player in a power vehicle can't run or ruin the map; Plus I think you as a player in most maps should be able to contribute without having to get into a Mino, Omega, Falcon, Predator, super vehicle.
2. Its easier on the server. The more vehicles, especially the ones that are very fast (faster than say stock raptor) or have high rate of fire (original wasp), or CPU killing effects (eg. Levi Cannon), create a ton of CPU lag.

We have a bunch of decent maps, that could use a refresh with updated vehicles, but make it so those don't go overboard. I plan on randomizing ZeroImpact, but will keep this in mind as I do. I am also going to remove Mega, Classic Mino, and Levis from Valarna -- aside from CPU those have really long ranges and make it kind of miserable for the other team if you get in the right spot (I'll admit its kind of fun for a bit just mercilessly spamming the other team to death though).

I am also think about how to remove the Levis on MassD so it reduces the cpu hogging levi spam. Maybe just try it without the levis. The Original wasp thats on there too is bad news for lag (shoots lots and lots of flak chunks each which has to be tracked by the server)

Thoughts on this?
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Re: Map Styles...

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

I definitely agree on #1. It was nice to play Tyrant and to be able to just run to a node and to also be able to make an impact. One time I was even going for the Goliath and a bottom player got there before I did. It wasn't as devastating of a moment for our team as I initially thought it would be.

Should we have a new tag to designate those OP vehicle maps? Kind of like what "tank-me-up" used to mean?
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

I assume 'randomizer' means OP spamfest.

I still think the rotation limit needs increased, and if 'resetmaps' function gets abused again I'll remove it. We still play the same maps every night.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Yeah I think we need a designation. Randomizer doesn't have to mean OP Spamfest, but on many the maps now it is just that.
pooty

Post by pooty »

One other thing would be to put a few maps into the rotation with the "Possible" or "Potential" designation and see how they play. It'd be worth it to me to play some maps before I spend the hours necessary to fully update them. If I get bored I'll find a map or three to throw up there and we and testplay. Maybe that's a good name ONS-somemap-TESTPLAY and then we can discuss vote here whether it should get an update or the trash can.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

pooty wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:59 pm
Yeah I think we need a designation. Randomizer doesn't have to mean OP Spamfest, but on many the maps now it is just that.
Call it Matchbox or Galoob or HotWheels or something like that. This is basically us while we play these maps:
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

captainsnarf wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:07 pm ...
if 'resetmaps' function gets abused again I'll remove it.
Who is abusing the resetmaps? I thought this was an admin function only.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

McLovin wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:11 pm
captainsnarf wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:07 pm ...
if 'resetmaps' function gets abused again I'll remove it.
Who is abusing the resetmaps? I thought this was an admin function only.
It was a certain admin, whom I won't name and shame.

We had a problem where a user was purposefully voting all the maps they didn't like early in the day so that during prime time they would be greyed out. We added the command to fix that. It really shouldn't be used for other purposes as it circumvents the map rotation. Realistically only Pooty should ever use it.
EmanReleipS

Post by EmanReleipS »

pooty wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:22 pm One other thing would be to put a few maps into the rotation with the "Possible" or "Potential" designation and see how they play. It'd be worth it to me to play some maps before I spend the hours necessary to fully update them. If I get bored I'll find a map or three to throw up there and we and testplay. Maybe that's a good name ONS-somemap-TESTPLAY and then we can discuss vote here whether it should get an update or the trash can.
We did the exact same thing so we wouldn't invest too much time first, called the maps "ONS-TESTME-Mapname". Should have called them "ONS-TESTandCOMMENT-Mapname". :lol: We did get some good feedback when asking peeps in chat, though.