Spawning at a node that is under attack?

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
McLovin
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Spawning at a node that is under attack?

Post by McLovin »

I thought this was not supposed to be possible? But while specing Ankeedo and Son_Of_Slam playing ONS-DesertJunkYard-TMU-Randomize sure enough I saw Son_Of_Slam spawn into a node that was halfway dead that Ankeedo was attacking. I've seen this before. Does this happen often? Is it a glitch?
captainsnarf

Re: Spawning at a node that is under attack?

Post by captainsnarf »

it's a glitch. The node might flash like it's under attack a little bit even after it's no longer considered under attack.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

McLovin wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:39 pm I thought this was not supposed to be possible? But while specing Ankeedo and Son_Of_Slam playing ONS-DesertJunkYard-TMU-Randomize sure enough I saw Son_Of_Slam spawn into a node that was halfway dead that Ankeedo was attacking. I've seen this before. Does this happen often? Is it a glitch?
captainsnarf wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:09 pm it's a glitch. The node might flash like it's under attack a little bit even after it's no longer considered under attack.
It’s more of a glitch than just looks like the node is flashing… what McLovin saw is what I’ve seen hundreds of times. I’ve hit a node 3, 4 or even more times in a row to watch a player spawn there while I’m actively hitting a node with no significant pause between hits. This is a long standing glitch in the game that’s super annoying. Not sure the cause or the fix, but it happens all the time.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

I don't think I ever click on a flashing node. I guess I have to start trying it now.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 10:24 am I don't think I ever click on a flashing node. I guess I have to start trying it now.
I have, and it never works for me. Sometimes I’ll click a node that’s not even flashing and it won’t let me spawn in because it’s actually being attacked and just hasn’t shown the flashing on my end yet. Not sure why some players can spawn at nodes that are actively being attacked and some can’t, probably an internet connection/server sync issue, just guessing.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

Hmm weird. It seems the map is probably pretty glitchy then. Sometimes when I join, every node shows up as one color which is super disorienting. I have no idea where to go and takes me a second to realize what team I'm even on (I'm so used to determining what to do by a quick glance at the map).

I also have my settings set to nearly transparent map background, but on some maps it still shows up as solid detail which is pretty annoying. Especially on new maps where I'm not sure where I am and it's hard to see my dot on the overly colored map.
Provert

Post by Provert »

Been happening for years, nothing new here. Funny reading all the things I've seen for years you guys are just now starting to see. In this case, I would bet it's not someone clicking on a node but having their settings set to repawn at nearest node automatically.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Yes, that's what seems to happen. You die, "Click fire to respawn" and you respawn at the same node.

The game is generally server authoritative, but I think in some instances it's client authoritative. The server might say the node is under attack but if your client hasn't received that yet (node is not flashing to you) then you can still respawn at that node.