Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Fire Vehicles...Fire Tank, Fire Manta, Fire Raptor

Post by pooty »

Big changes here for the fire vehicles

- Draco
- Fixed the Primary fire so it fires independent of the secondary smoke screen - chargebar is for smokescreen.
- Smoke Screen lasts longer now, grows faster and slightly bigger

FireTank, FlameTank
- Glob spreads smaller, meaning you the fire globs/napalm won't spread as far after impact.
- 2nd seat uses the firebug/draco flamethrower instead of the goofy one that pretty much didn't work for shit. (it had numerous problems - slow, and had a cool thing that set people on fire, which was nice, except on nodes it wouldn't damage an open node on the sphere, and few other glitches so its deep sixed)

FireHound
- Updated version for Omni, primary driver weapon is flamethrower (same as firebug)
- Rear seat as HeatRay turret with Zoom (it used to have heat ray with W zoom instead of alt-fire and shot fire tank like shell as secondary), but we are all used to quick zoom with alt-fire.. so its standardized.
Its not on any map yet, though.

Now you may be wondering WTF am I doing, adding in more flamethrowers when they lag. Well I fixed that too!

The issue wasn't the flame emitters... it was the flame projectiles. So the way this worked is it used an emitter for the flame effect so it was smooth and looked good (unlike the 2nd seat on Tanks which was independent "puffs" and IMO looked like shit. But the actual projectile (its not hitscan) was generally invisible except for Lighting. It did make for a cool effect where the flames actually provide light and corresponding shadows... BUT that really hammered the engine... Locally if I was using Firebug, I could drop my framerates big time (like 200 to under 100) with it. On the projectiles I turned off bDynamicLight (eg. False). Now it doesn't have the cool lighting effects, but it doesn't have the big time lag either.
For the techies in the crowd, that dynamic lighting would increase the BSP render,number of triangles often by 10x. Which does make sense its firing one dynamic light projectile every .1s. That means in 1s, there's 10 dynamic lights that the engine recalculates all that light on every object its near.. so you can see how it gets out of hand quickly....
I also turned off the dynamic light on the fireblobs/gobs/naplam... again this was lagging it out.

So hopefully, we can all love our fire vehicles without the lag.
captainsnarf

Re: stats blew up again

Post by captainsnarf »

Super Sanka wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 9:51 am Damn it I wanted to see how many times I killed snarf with Draco :(
-udick :D

Draco smoke screen does too much damage! I was getting one shotted with full health. I thought it only did 20, pooty :? 8-)
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

captainsnarf wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:20 am Draco smoke screen does too much damage! I was getting one shotted with full health. I thought it only did 20, pooty :? 8-)
I had the same experience, was in a tank, I think a heavy Goliath, got hit by the Draco smoke bomb and it burned over 400 HP off! I think the projectile damage is only 20, it’s the burning damage that’s the issue. The constant burn damage should probably just be removed.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

Code: Select all

Damage=85.000000
     DamageRadius=1001.000000
     MomentumTransfer=1000.000000
Oh wait, I think is the fireblobs getting spawned.
6 at 90 pts a pop I think..yikes.
I had copied it from FireTank and I think I meant to change those.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Ok its fixed. Draco 2.925

I set Damage at 55 (which is pretty puny). Damage Radius of 1701. This should be enough to tickle a node, and kill any wounded infantry. No more burners/fire blobs. Strange, when I tested before changing it.. it did < 100 to Hurricane, burned up Wraith (500) and Badger (600) one shot yikes. The damage radius was smaller but a direct hit was pretty much FireTank territory which was way too much.
FuriousRabbit

Post by FuriousRabbit »

WTF!! Stop nerfing everything. In one breath, you guys bitch about tank turds. In the next breath, you nerf the exact vehicles designed to take out camping tanks. The draco was perfect for taking out a camping tank or deployed Levi. It is pretty difficult to score a hit with the draco when flying solo against a maneuvering tank. It had perfect balance (except Enjo got killed once). #$!@&!!!!!!!
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

FuriousRabbit wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:25 pm WTF!! Stop nerfing everything. In one breath, you guys bitch about tank turds. In the next breath, you nerf the exact vehicles designed to take out camping tanks. The draco was perfect for taking out a camping tank or deployed Levi. It is pretty difficult to score a hit with the draco when flying solo against a maneuvering tank. It had perfect balance (except Enjo got killed once). #$!@&!!!!!!!
Dude, simmer down... if there's anyone that prefers OP flyers over OP tanks it's me. But, the updated Draco 2.0 alt fire was always intended to be a smoke bomb, not a fire tank blast that does 500+ burn damage. Had nothing to do with getting killed by it, and everything to do with the original discussion on how the smoke bomb should work. The smoke bomb's fire rate is also pretty fast, and allows you to obscure your approach and get in close for the flame kill.

Draco now also makes a much bigger and more powerful explosion when it dies, which I'm not a huge fan of, makes it impossible to bail on low health and not get killed anyway. The Draco is still probably one of my least favorite flyers despite the upgrades.

I would like to see the gunner seats do something different on it though, those rockets kinda suck IMO.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
FuriousRabbit

Post by FuriousRabbit »

Oh, ok. I'll go back to being content (for at least an hour). I will say I do like the rockets for taking out Levi's.
pooty

Post by pooty »

I would like to see the gunner seats do something different on it though, those rockets kinda suck IMO.
Idea the rockets are good from a distance against slow moving (levi) and stationary targets (nodes). Put in two gunners it works pretty well. I could speed up the projectiles a bit might help .. meaning speed of the shot, not faster fire rate, which would make it easier to hit since those don't do a ton of damage (maybe up them slightly?)

I did slightly, I think reduce the explosion... I wonder if there's a way to protect the driver? Maybe give the driver ejection seat, I think like the Helix pilot.
pooty

Post by pooty »

So a few updates here (since I was toying with fire manta)

- Standardized Fire Tank, Flame Tank lasers within normal damage ranges (so slight nerf to damage), they also use the vehicle damage scaling so less lethal to infantry more to vehicles (that's the general trend to give people on foot more change to dodge and not get instagibbed by lasers). Range is not standard at 40000 (was 80000), yes we said lasers get 20000, but these "heat-rays" do 0 momentum, so I figured it'd be a good feature to make the fire / flame tank turrets have extended range to compensate (same range at the mino lasers btw).

- Fire Manta updates (in the other thread)

- A few misc changes on some of the effects to try to help the FPS, still some dynamic light on the fire manta that I removed.

- Adjusted some of the damage radii on the Fireballs (so the Firetank primary, Flame tank alt-fre (same as fire tank primary), Fire tank alt-fire (same as Ifrit alt-fire), Draco smoke screen, Draco fireball turret all adjusted. Direct hit is unchanged, but a couple of these either had Damage Radius hard coded (220, 330, 1701? WTF there?) also there was a possible bug for those doing double damage (Calling HurtRadius twice). Either way I cleaned those up and no more hard coded. Some quick testing showed the Fire TAnk Alt-Fire is still capable of 1500+ depending on how it hits....

So the way this all works, and its relevant to the fire manta as well, the projectile hits / explodes (does damage), spawns little "fires" that do immediate damage and heat/burn damage, and set things on fire. If the little fires direct hit does 15-18 pts, plus burns for a while. Some things do NOT burn like Nodes, things that take burn damage are players and vehicles. So expect way more damage on those flammable things than vs. nodes / cores.

Likely the big Fireball needs a bit of nerf since it seems to at times be able to do more damage than the Mino, but I figured we should discuss that first. I mean the altfire (ok its called FireballIncendiary in the code) probably should get nerfed on the ifrit and even nerfed a bit on the tank.... but it IS satisifying to nail the mino with it. And one key difference it takes ~3s to do all the damage, which gives the burning enemy time to kill you.