Misc Map Changes Thread..for little glitches and annoyances...

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Misc Map Changes Thread..for little glitches and annoyances...

Post by pooty »

Good compromise, the link board should prob only be on randomizers.
So there was some concept in the LinkTank (taken from LinkGun I think) that you'd have Ammo, meaning you wouldn't have unlimited link, but perhaps a set amount... or a recharge time.

Alternatively, I think the link board shouldn't be any more (maybe less) powerful than the link gun. And it I think it should be a bit slower and less agile than the trick board.
I don't want to change trickboard to linkboard because I think that would adversely affect a lot of maps that already have trickboards (like what happened with Arbiter).
Agree.

And can we fix the swimming bug? Where the player shows up like they are swimming after using the Trickboard?
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

pooty wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 1:09 pm And can we fix the swimming bug? Where the player shows up like they are swimming after using the Trickboard?
I've lost a few saturdays already trying to fix that stupid bug hehe. I can try, but not sure I'll make any progress.

It's not new. It happens with the original Locust board also. It only happens online, so some network/replication bug.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

pooty wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 9:03 pm - Still have camera rolling problem, Dria-Rando, Bio on Tiamat.
I miss the camera rolling bug. Bring it back. Nothing funnier than to Bio blog a Tiamat whore, knowing they are rolling and disabled. LOL

Not sure it's the camera rolling bug, but I've been hit so hard my view was goofed up, even after I respawned. Like my view was pointing up in the air or down at the ground. Takes a respawn or more to correct itself. LOL
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

When that happens you can just shoot your gun and it fixes itself.
pooty

Post by pooty »

I've never been able to fix the roll. Once your vehicle rolls you're screwed. After respawn, if you damage yourself yes, then its fixed.

And I'll take a peek at the Trickboard code on the swimming thing, I don't think I noticed it on the Locust boards though... might be because they weren't on any maps. I had a skin replication issue on the tick scorpion that I fixed...may be related.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

Don't know if anything can be done about this, but something that has always been of huge annoyance is the fact the flyers of all types get stuck on EVERYTHING. When I say everything, it includes pillars, walls, buildings, trees and even the damned ground. Sometimes if you fly a raptor type flyer straight at the ground and jump out just before it lands it gets stuck in the ground. Some flyers are worse than others, Hammerheads are the worst, raptor types and bombers 2nd, helicopters rarely. Mantas get stuck a lot too.

There are particular spots on maps where this happens more, just a few examples that come to mind:
1. On Nevermore, when you land on the middle crossbeams above 7 to get the double damage, my flyers get stuck there nearly every time. I can usually wiggle it free, but it always takes a few secs and I often end up getting killed because I can't take off immediately.
2. Also on Nevermore... flyers get stuck on the ground near the nodes a lot, or on the half walls that shield the nodes.
3. Any map with trees that aren't part of the foliage you can turn off.
4. On the corners of any buildings on MTMU.
5. The castle ruins on Dria at the middle nodes, flyers get stuck on those all the time.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

I'm sure you are familiar with invisible walls that you've run into. These are called blocking volumes in the engine.

A lot of what you've described can be fixed by adding blocking volumes around meshes. The crossbeams above 7 are meshes. If blocking volumes were added which are the same size and shape as the cross beams ,then you'd no longer get stuck in them. Meshes use surface collision and blocking volumes use volume collision. Surface collision just isn't very good. Volume collision requires something called a 'closed manifold' to work and meshes aren't always the right shape to do that.

It's hard to make blocking volumes that match the mesh perfectly. Fixing the castle ruins in Dria using blocking volumes would be difficult. Any mismatch would result in invisible walls, so you trade one problem for another. The engine does have a feature where you can select a mesh and create a brush out of the mesh, then you can use that brush to create a blocking volume that matches, but it doesn't always work and is difficult to use correctly.

There is a lot of random crap (meshes) in Ganja's Room. I had to do a lot of work creating blocking volumes so you wouldn't randomly get flyers and mantas stuck everywhere, but it's still easy to get stuck on that map. It's a problem with meshes, but BSP maps (inside maps like DM style maps) don't have this problem.

It's a ton of work to go back and refine these old maps with better blocking volumes. Maybe if the pay were better :lol:
pooty

Post by pooty »

Yep I fiddled with it a bit and its PITA to put blocking volumes everywhere... and you've probably noticed on JY maps, you shoot/drive close to the pillar rocks (esp around 4/5 and 3/9) and your shot doesn't hit the node but detonates short, or the vehicle gets caught on the invisible "wall".

I'd say on certain maps (esp when its a flatter surface its easier) we can work to fix them, but as Snarf said, its a bunch of work and the pay sucks. You have to mostly (manually) scale the blocking volumes and the editor shape editing is IMO pretty cumbersome.

Perhaps some high volume annyonances (eg. NVM node 7) could be addressed. But like every rock/tree/building would take months....years... and our developers still haven't fixed the stats yet. ;)
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

Yeah I seem to always klunk my flyer on the invisible towers on either side of the cores on MassDestruction.

For node 7 on Nevermore I jump out early and try to have the flyer land on the pillar, not over the DD. Best I can do is get back in the flyer before it lands, or try to jump back into it as it does it's little glitch dance over my head.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Yeah I seem to always klunk my flyer on the invisible towers on either side of the cores on MassDestruction.
Yeah I put those in, marked by the lower level towers, probably not as cleanly as I should have, to block the sneaky, spawnkillers (you know who they are) from taking the Omega, Ifrit behind the core and spawnkilling all the vehicles over and over and over again. Probably should have had some kind of visual effect...or just put some kind of dome around the core.