My ping is all over the place

Got a Glitch? Always Lagging? Need help with anything technical? Want to move off Windows XP?
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

My ping is all over the place

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

For the past couple of weeks my connection has been garbage. I assume this is an issue with my ISP? Or does anyone have any other suggestions?

My ping will jump around between 100 and 900. My character skips around the map and it's making the game "literally unplayable".

Between this and not being able to play randomizer maps my time in this game is going to take a serious drop.
captainsnarf

Re: My ping is all over the place

Post by captainsnarf »

https://www.pingplotter.com/download

Use this tool to see where the issue is. It could be your ISP, your router, the server, or somewhere on the internet backbone between you and server.

My connection to Omni in Chicago isn't the fastest but it's very consistent. SoL hosted in Dallas is another story. It's usually 68ms but some days it will jump all over, up to 200ms. My ping is lower connecting to ceonss in Germany lol. Using pingplotter I can see there is a single router in gtt.net (backbone between me and Dallas) that is having issues.
Anonymous.

Post by Anonymous. »

You could also try this test to see if it's due to loaded latency between you and the ISP. https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat
Here are my results to give you an idea: https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbl ... 17a3271f97 (keep in mind this is early in the morning)
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

What type of internet provider are you using, cable or DSL, or something else? I had Comcast side-by-side DSL for a while. Comcast would burst higher throughputs but trail off to terrible rates. DSL was rock solid, day or night, didn't matter. I ditched Comcast and have been happy ever since.
pooty

Post by pooty »

I have spectrum, and its been down now for 2 days. It wasn't the storm it was up after that....
It seems to be pretty consistent, though when I posted before had 3ms latency from computer to the router (via Netgear Orbi - which I am beginning to think are junk)
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

Okay cool I'll try running these some night while I usually play. I was on last night and it seemed okay, still spiked up to the 60's or so. I'm used to being steadily in the low 30's.

I'm using Metronet fiber internet. My router isn't too far from my computer, it would probably be good to just run a cable instead of go over wifi...
pooty

Post by pooty »

One thing is your ping will be higher before the match starts, and even for several seconds after. The Engine preloads a bunch of resources which affects the ping. Best to check say 30s into a round.