Misc Map Changes Thread..for little glitches and annoyances...

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Misc Map Changes Thread..for little glitches and annoyances...

Post by pooty »

and the Bonelli shotgun,
Shotgun was quite fun.
I like SSR because it's built in to UTComp so it has netcode. These other weapons won't have netcode, but maybe that is a feature not bug ;) The hitscan junkies won't be able to aim as well with them.
So what does UTComp need as far as code to enable Netcode?

Maybe we build up an OmniWeaponPack that includes things like limited SSR, IonA, GL80, Bonelli shotgun, the Hydra Genade launcher (Yeahhh suggested). etc
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

pooty wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:10 am
and the Bonelli shotgun,
Shotgun was quite fun.
I like SSR because it's built in to UTComp so it has netcode. These other weapons won't have netcode, but maybe that is a feature not bug ;) The hitscan junkies won't be able to aim as well with them.

Maybe we build up an OmniWeaponPack that includes things like limited SSR, IonA, GL80, Bonelli shotgun, the Hydra Genade launcher (Yeahhh suggested). etc
If so, please add the other ut2 weapons as well. A version of Goliath but with only ut2 weapons lockers would be cool. This server loves things that go boom and look pretty so I think they'd go over well.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

There is quite a bit. Each weapon would need hit detection re-implemented. Instead of explaining it again, I'll copy/paste what I posted to horst in TUS discord
With newnet weapons, each player pawn in the game gets a "collision copy" actor running. The collision copy keeps a history of where that pawn has been for a certain amount (350ms of history). When a player fires a newnet weapon, the weapon calls a 'TimeTravel' function which rewinds all the collision copies position/rotation to where they were on the server when the player fired the weapon, then does hit detection. It has to rewind the position/rotation because the server timing is always in the future relative to the client. How far in the future is the client's ping difference
I'm ok with the odd weapons not having netcode. Vehicles don't have it either.

For SSR it would be easy enough to modify UTComp to change the ammo values on SSR. It has Ammo=1 but AmmoCost=0 so it never runs out. Ammo=20, AmmoCost=1 would fix it.
Super Sanka

Post by Super Sanka »

pooty wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:38 pm So a couple of things:

Check Hitboxes on Predator/Reaper (csapveriv.u) and CSGPolice flyers

Thoughts on SSR update, I think it'd be much nicer to have the SSR have limited ammo. Currently the SSR has infinite ammo which makes it less popular more OP on most maps. It'd be cool to have it with limited ammo (5 or 10 shots default), and then we could put it on more maps... plus it'd be nice to have it have a combo as well.
SSR is like the no skillz translocator gun on grit nights. The pickup is available to everyone but reward those that can get it without wasting a lot time out of battle. I think an ammo nerf is fine but it should be at least 25-30 shots. The very best of us have at MOST a 35% hitrate with shock on average, maybe 45 % with good hardware and ping. Plus you're trying to position yourself out of tank fire.

Oh yeah I wanted to add that my favorite combo is lgshot then quickswitch into a shock beam. Does 110 pts in damage very fast and is kind of like a scuffed SSR.
pooty

Post by pooty »

CSGPolice Havoc - Fine.
CSGPolice Venom - could use a small tweak.

Predator - needs work mostly the top 20% by rotors is a miss.... yikes.
Reaper - better than Predator, but needs some tweaking.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

pooty wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:16 pm
CSGPolice Havoc - Fine.
CSGPolice Venom - could use a small tweak.

Predator - needs work mostly the top 20% by rotors is a miss.... yikes.
Reaper - better than Predator, but needs some tweaking.
I knew I wasn’t imagining it on those, and probably just thought the Havoc was broken too because all the rest of the choppers were. Is that an easy fix?

I don’t know exactly how it works, but shouldn’t hit boxes try to match the size/shape of the vehicle as much as possible? Can you stack multiple sized hit boxes together to get the general shape of the flyer?
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
FuriousRabbit

Post by FuriousRabbit »

On a map like tyrant, what about replacing the SSR with the concussion rifle? Wouldn't it be just as fun to make people fly as to one-shot kill them?
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

FuriousRabbit wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:02 pm On a map like tyrant, what about replacing the SSR with the concussion rifle? Wouldn't it be just as fun to make people fly as to one-shot kill them?
Hmm this is interesting.
pooty

Post by pooty »

I knew I wasn’t imagining it on those, and probably just thought the Havoc was broken too because all the rest of the choppers were. Is that an easy fix?

I don’t know exactly how it works, but shouldn’t hit boxes try to match the size/shape of the vehicle as much as possible? Can you stack multiple sized hit boxes together to get the general shape of the flyer?
Yes, you can have a box, or you can put together multiple boxes to approximate the general shapes. If you want to see them in game, start an offline game, go to the console and type KDRAW COLLISION and the engine will show you all the collision wireframes.
On a map like tyrant, what about replacing the SSR with the concussion rifle? Wouldn't it be just as fun to make people fly as to one-shot kill them?
Or maybe both up top?
FuriousRabbit

Post by FuriousRabbit »

pooty wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:48 am
Or maybe both up top?
Well, no. The point was to find a compromise to keep the snipers somewhat happy while getting rid of one-shots that are counterproductive to onslaught play. Why would anyone use concussion if SSR is available?