Map with no vehicle respawns

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
captainsnarf
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Map with no vehicle respawns

Post by captainsnarf »

I'm also probably going to add some respawning weak vehicles in the core
I think doing this ruins the whole idea.
Rhamp

Post by Rhamp »

V1.9-TEST on the google drive.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/10qTel5 ... sp=sharing

Changes:
-Added 7 UltimateONSFactories per core that spawn weaker versions of the badger, hover badger, link badger and king hellhound. These have a fast respawn cooldown so there will always be vehicles available at the core. Also these are much faster than the tanks, so they can be used to get to nodes fast. The existing random tank spawns are the same. These respawning vehicles are extremely weak compared to the tanks, so the theme of preserving your tanks is still there.

-Fixed non-tanks not respawning.

-Tweaked the center node to take much longer to build, making it harder to blitz the center and then the core, especially since the center node can spawn the good tanks. The link multiplier and hp of the node have also been increased to compensate.

-Increased the hp of the link tank, troop carrier and perses to 2000, 2500 and 10000 respectively. The map should now revolve around which team uses the perses better similar to how most other maps revolve around the mino. Hopefully this will lead to a levi that is fully crewed for once.
pooty

Post by pooty »

On the server.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Is this working as intended? It doesn't feel like there are no respawns. There are always plenty of vehicles available.

Someone complained in previous edit they ended up with only trucks available towards the end and it was painful. Isn't that the point?

There needs to be player starts outside of the core house. Once they are spamming your core you cannot get out, even with spawn protection since you also get knocked back.
Rhamp

Post by Rhamp »

There were a bunch of complaints regarding having no vehicles at all, so I made it so anything that isn't a tank or levi respawn. That way one side isn't stuck without any vehicles, but the vehicles that respawn are on average much weaker than the original ones you start with. The idea of having no respawns at all is definitely not feasible since it seemed everyone hated it when that version was played.

Also here is the explaination for anyone who is wondering why it seems there is only one type of truck that respawns at the core:
The weak respawning vehicles at the core (the ones that spawn right by the core) are spawned with the UltimateONSFactory which goes by a different system than the normal vehicle randomizer spawns. These weak respawning vehicles choose from either a badger, hoverbadger, link badger or king hellhound and spawn those in. Each time it respawns it is randomly chosen from that selection. Since players don't seem to ever want to drive the king hellhounds, those tend to just sit in the core and accumulate while players pull any other vehicle type, so eventually, every spawn eventually cycles to the king hellhound.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

With respawns reduced but not eliminated, it feels like every other map. I spawn at core and 'all the good vehicles are taken'. Whether they are actually taken or not respawning is irrelevant at that point.

I get that everyone hated it. My maps don't get much play time either. "-leon-dmmap". But if you only make maps that our players like, you'll end up remaking AJ-randomizer or Minus-KitchenSink over and over.

We should just copy the UMD server maps and get it over with :lol: Those maps had all the old OP vehicles like classic mino and warhawk, and all the weapon lockers had the ridiculous weapons in them like crispy, transdimensional distributor, steorra, sentinels, concussion rifle, etc. They weren't even special or hidden. They were in the weapon lockers. I believe those come from the 'weapons of evil' mod. I could see a map like that quickly becoming the most popular map. I've always wanted to avoid that. The arms race keeps escalating, but here we are. It's what the players want.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Since players don't seem to ever want to drive the king hellhounds, those tend to just sit in the core and accumulate while players pull any other vehicle type, so eventually, every spawn eventually cycles to the king hellhound.
Love the KHH. Its fast, 2nd seat combo can take out a node in one go, 3rd lasers are powerful. Don't get the lack of love...its an awesome Truck!

I haven't played the most recent version, but I think based on the previous ones, I think the cores need lots of protection. No direct fire path onto the core vehicles. Maybe even put a blocking volume to block enemy fire and vehicles from entering the core.

I like the idea of one and done vehicles, its a cool idea. I might take a run at making a map along those lines.
But if you only make maps that our players like, you'll end up remaking AJ-randomizer or Minus-KitchenSink over and over.
You forgot MassD (which I really made as sort of a "joke" map...).

I personally don't want to see any more OP spamfest maps, we have enough to address that.., Less OP, doesn't mean none, just means its more thoughtful. Maps that require more strategy and teamwork are good -- unfortunately we have a good 1/3 of our players that want to either sit and spam or drive and spam. Its why with Link Vehicles, and gunner seats on some vehicles -- teamwork will be devastating.
Also, I try to avoid making anything where one vehicle dominates without any counter....
Rhamp

Post by Rhamp »

This is the balance I've been trying to find with this map, between half the players that just want to leeroy jenkins and the half that actually want to tactically position themselves. The leeroy players can grab the weak, fast moving vehicles that respawn and the tactical players can grab the one and done vehicles. The map is still unique enough in that once you lose all your tanks, you are only left with very weak vehicles that get 1-2 shot by most tanks.