DesertedSands... updates..

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

DesertedSands... updates..

Post by pooty »

V10 is there..

Its still not quite right. It needs a powerful flyer at the cores, since if you lose 3 and they attack 12, its too hard to get a tank to 3 to lock 12. So maybe move the falcon to the core, and put a different reward flyer at 13, Wasp was suggested.

There's some map glitches, which I thought were fixed, water still damages vehicles...which I removed, or at least would have sweared I did, so that the boats/alligator would work, his would allow play on the left side in the water.

And you could drive across the river, albeit slowly in a tank, I might make the river do some damage to non-water vehicles, something slight.

I also need to add kill volume under the map, this map for some reason is prone for letting you fall through the hills, so it needs to autokill you when that happens...I guess its like quicksand.

I also want to edit the terrain a bit on the big hills. The Trucks should be able to drive up them and get to the top. I think they can on one side but not the other. The linkscorps with boost can get up there. And you still have the Dropship which can take any vehicle up there but the Tiamat...

That being said I also want to review the node layout.... that 12/3 might be too far and maybe a tweaking there would help, but not sure.

May update a few vehicles... I think Vampire Tank would be fun--its fast, and it was suggest a heavy tank/fire tank as both are strong and have good anti-air.

Also, remember the center primary which cannot be taken has good supply of vehicles including a reaper, link tank so those can retake 5, although Alligator there kind of owns that node...so might have to balance that out somehow. Maybe that spawn is good spot for FireTank or such.
Rhamp

Re: DesertedSands... updates..

Post by Rhamp »

Moving the falcon to the core will definitely help preventing one team from snowballing. The other main issue is that once a team locks their side of the river, it is way too easy to surpress the nodes on the other side. All you need is two tanks camping and some anti air and the other team won't be able to retake it. Putting the nodes behind a small hill or something will make it so the tanks would at least have to cross the river or at least enter it instead of being able to sit super far back.

Another idea I had was what if the locked nodes were moved on top of the mountains closer to the center with a path from the core up to the them? The node can then have most of the heavy ground vehicles instead of the core. That way, the powerful vehicles that spawn at that node can be deployed faster than if they were at the core or at the original node position and can either camp the high ground (which is already acheivable with the dropship) or drop down on any side of the mountain depending on where the action is. I found that the time it took to bring out any high powered vehicle from the core other than the mino or levi wasn't worth it due to how far away the nodes are.

Vampire tank is way too op for the power levels on this map.
pooty

Post by pooty »

V11
Falcon at core instead of Draco
Wraith instead of Cicada.
Node 13 reward flyer is Ifrit.
Flyers have some pretty long respawn times 80s, so use them wisely.
Replaced Plamsatank with FireTank at the cores.

Added Draco at the 5/8 uncontested primaries.

Fixed the Water glitches so it doesn't damage boats/gator.

Removed the middle bridge 3/10. I added that, but I think that breaks the map since it gives a too easy direct route to secondary that leads to the 11/12 primary with big hill in between...Yes you can shoot across the river, but much harder to get there and build -- it gives the defending team extra time to get there.

However, you CAN cross the river.. it has current and it slows you for sure, but you can do it in some vehicles. Plus it lets the boats play in the river.

I didn't move the nodes. I tried editing the terrian to play with that, but it crashes the editor Every.Time. ugh.

This should improve play though, and I think now the boats (1 per side) could also be key as they can battle flyers and tanks on the beach.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

I tried editing the terrain to play with that, but it crashes the editor Every.Time. ugh.
That's unfortunate. Scrotey fell through the terrain twice and I did three times. There is nothing to flak yourself on and you end up stuck. The only way out is to console suicide yourself. After the third time I was frustrated and started walking around under there to see if there was any place I could get out. Nope. I walked all the way from core to the beach under the terrain. There was no escape. I started shooting at the enemy instead, and yeah, sorry about that Enyo. I know I shouldn't have done it. I was frustrated and didn't feel like we were going to win anyway, and I wasted half the time stuck under there.

The other half of the time I wasted trying to get the Hospitaler up the hill. It is possible, but extremely painful. It probably has the worst hill climbing ability of the levis, which leaves it with basically only one strategy - park it on the bridge at the waterfall. Tiamat would be better.

If you can't edit the terrain to fix it, we might need a couple kill volumes under there on each side of the river that span the whole side.
pooty

Post by pooty »

It probably has the worst hill climbing ability of the levis, which leaves it with basically only one strategy - park it on the bridge at the waterfall. Tiamat would be better.
Not sure why that would be? It actually has faster speed than Tiamat.. I thought about putting a vehicle teleporter in, but figured that might be too much.

I added some kill volumes on the last edit. Which I hoped would fix the falling issue....but I guess I need to move them up a bit.

The terrain is just weird on this map, always has been, I've rebuilt it several times with different parameters.... maybe one of you could try opening it and seeing if you can mess with the terrain. For me as soon as the terrain dialog opens = boom.
pooty

Post by pooty »

I added some kill volumes on the last edit. Which I hoped would fix the falling issue....but I guess I need to move them up a bit.
Fixed. There was a Watervolume above the killVolume which stopped you from dying. Hopefully fixed now.

I replaced the Hospitaler with Dark Levi, its faster so should be more useful.