So there was a question on Lasers and Momentum..

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

So there was a question on Lasers and Momentum..

Post by pooty »

So as reference the hand held Shock Rifle:
Momentum=60000.000000

Default for any ONSWeapon is 1. This is the amount of force/knockback done.
Concussion Rifle: is 600000 (note extra zero)
Mino Tank shell: 600000 (same as concussion)
GoliathTank Shell: 125000

So the question came up on lasers knocking around flyers.
Mino Lasers: 500
CSRhino Lasers: 500
CS Bomber Lasers: 1
Armadillo Lasers: 1
Hurricane Lasers: 1
MegaBadger Lasers: 1
Starbolt Lasers: 1
Fire/Flame Tank: 0
Link Tank, Link Tank Heavy: 10000
DragonLaser: 100000
Centaur: 25000
King Hell Hound Lasers: 100
Heavy Tank Shock Beam: 88000 (this has single beam, ie. slower fire similar to a beefed shock rifle vs. turret lasers)
HellHound Twin Beams: 150000 (makes sense with the charge)

So really most lasers don't knock around flyers. Exceptions are SR, Heavy Goliath, and Twin Beams (eg. HellHound, Mantis and the like)

And no I'm not going to change anything, its good to have variety...

There's nothing that would show as Enyo and couple others said that they get knocked around or pulled toward things. The things that Pull (ie. negative momemtum) as Tractor Manta, Tick beam, Vampire Tank Beam and Lamprey Beam. No lasers that I could find do that other than Tractor manta.

Maybe there's something with the 0 on Fire/Flame tanks since default is 1, not 0.
Enyo

Re: So there was a question on Lasers and Momentum..

Post by Enyo »

There’s something else going on, and it seems to be worst with the Cicada shaped flyers. Maybe those have bigger areas you can hit to knock them around? And maybe some players are better at hitting those spots, but don’t always seem to be like this.

But sometimes it seems lasers will do it to Raptor types too where it doesn’t just knock you around with momentum… suddenly you can’t even fly or thrust away, you’re stuck rocking around in one spot until the lasers chew you up.

Maybe I’m not using lasers as effectively somehow, but I never see my to be able to stop a flyer in its tracks like some players can with lasers.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
pooty

Re: So there was a question on Lasers and Momentum..

Post by pooty »

Maybe I’m not using lasers as effectively somehow, but I never see my to be able to stop a flyer in its tracks like some players can with lasers.
Nope me either, but had it done to me where I cannot move. Remember all this is based on a Physics engine and perhaps its just an engine limitation when computing all the vectors.. and Cicada types get knocked around easily