Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Admin's Choice, map forcing.

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

I don't mind Trench
FuriousRabbit

Post by FuriousRabbit »

pooty wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:08 am lol. I have to be the mean forum admin.
And we know you love it! After all, this whole thread is really about your slow descent into authoritarianism.
pooty wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:08 am What I've found is the more complex maps don't do well either. The populace favors simple flat, drive in a tank style maps.
This is true but too simple also doesn't get voted. I'm thinking of tanks a lot which is well designed map. It seems like there is some sweet spot of average complexity. And it actually is annoying to have to worry about every branch or bump when driving a tank around.
Super Sanka

Post by Super Sanka »

It's pace. DJY and maps like it are too slow because of high health vehicles. Even some of the flyers have 800 HP. The same thing happened with Dria boring and is happening again with HSH, Minus and Mass.

I would start by lowering the health of all tanks and weaken the flyers damage accordingly to balance it out. This would create a faster paced match. It's a start to fix these maps.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

Super Sanka wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:45 pm It's pace. DJY and maps like it are too slow because of high health vehicles. Even some of the flyers have 800 HP. The same thing happened with Dria boring and is happening again with HSH, Minus and Mass.

I would start by lowering the health of all tanks and weaken the flyers damage accordingly to balance it out. This would create a faster paced match. It's a start to fix these maps.
Quit trying to give pooty more work!

Djunk is slow because it hardly has any flyers, it’s almost entirely tanks. Vehicle health is not the reason any map moves slow. Any map with mostly flyers is fast paced, and those with mostly tanks are slower. Just compare MTMU regular vs KitchenSink… KS plays much faster. And if you lower health and damage then it’s all relative anyway.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
Judas

Post by Judas »

I agree with Enyo and Sanka here. I prefer using medium tanks because I think they're fun, but they move so slow that I'm basically failing my team by cruising for 30s-60s from one node to the next in a Spider Tank, Hurricane, or Fire Tank on Dria or Junkyard. It's worse on a map like Home Sweet Home, where the tanks can take significantly longer to reach a node, only to get blown up by all the other stuff on the map. The higher health, firepower, and anti-air capability don't sufficiently counteract the advantage conferred by speed + air travel to justify using these tanks. I kill a flyer, take some damage, and 10 seconds later the next flyer has arrived -- I'd need to kill like 5+ flyers to start to make a rational case for the amount time I'm spending driving to the node.

What about lowering the health of these slow ground vehicles across the board while increasing their speed to something like the Vampire Link Tank?
pooty

Post by pooty »

Quit trying to give pooty more work!
Haha. Thank you!
Weaker vehicles = slower pace, IMO. You're in a 200 pt falcon, and boom Avril you're dead, no linky for you!

As Enyo said its relative. I've literally spent hours normalizing and adjusting damage (and range) across vehicles, everything from Falcons, Arbiters, Tanks, Scorpions, Lasers, Miniguns. Its much better than what it used to be.

Pace is dicated by map layout and vehicles. Add more flyers to JY, compared DJY to AJY, same exact map, but entirely different pace due the plethora of flyers.
And we know you love it! After all, this whole thread is really about your slow descent into authoritarianism.
Please assign yourself for re-education and get with the program. :lol:
Seriously though I have no desire to micro manage, or dictate. At times running the server requires a careful guide and sometimes when you're off the path need to be gently guided back. This server will *never* be driven by fixed map rotations, or even map packs, everyone should be able to vote what they want, but we do need some variety.
Part of this is people who I guess play fortnite or something until Minus/Dria/JY comes up and then they leave....

Code: Select all

What about lowering the health of these slow ground vehicles across the board while increasing their speed to something like the Vampire Link Tank?
Part of what makes ONS work is time. That is the big flaw with HSH randomizer, there's no time to build a node since there's a never ending stream of flyers. I keep saying Flyers need to be carefully managed as they can break a map--maybe flyers need longer respawn since they just ignore terrain and move fast. I've often advocated the flyers having a max speed (eg. Wyvern, Starbolt are too fast), and for reference Wasp/Falcon have same speed as base Raptor. Might be worth looking at speed of the flyers.
Canon Fodder

Post by Canon Fodder »

The only thing that frustrates me about HSH is you get a couple of one shot wonders that can shoot any flyer out of the sky at will.

I like a challenge, but come on. When you can't even get anywhere close to the farthest nodes, it gets quit frustrating. You'd think an onslaught of flyers, eventually one would make it through.
Super Sanka

Post by Super Sanka »

Yes flyers would obviously increase pace but to keep the spirit of JYD being a tank and ground heavy map I would just tweak the health down so you can give them other buffs. Giving them more speed like Judas said.

It's just a starting point.