OLD Players

pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: OLD Players

Post by pooty »

Almost everything needs tweaked after really playing with people on the server, bots get you close but when you add in the the leons, taters, terminators, rogers.... things you didn't think of or bots never did appear.
ItsMeAgain

Post by ItsMeAgain »

I decided to go ahead and finish it before break. Here is the link to a google drive share. Please review and let me know what needs changing.
LinkFlyer
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Nice!

Here is what I found. In LinkFlyerWeapon

Code: Select all

defaultproperties
{
    WeaponFireAttachmentBone="Muzzle"
    YawBone="Object02"
    PitchBone="Object02"
    Mesh=SkeletalMesh'ONSWeapons-A.PlasmaGun'
}
I know that for the mesh 'ONSWeapons-A.PlasmaGun', those values are not right. It doesn't matter as much in this particular case since PlasmaGun is an empty mesh, but it does still have bones. They should be:

YawBone=PlasmaGunBarrel
PitchBone=PlasmaGunBarrel
WeaponFireAttachmentBone=PlasmaGunBarrel

This will change where the bullets emanate from. With the wrong bone name the get coordinate method will return 0,0,0 so they are probably emanating from the center of the mesh currently. It's a minor difference, probably not very noticeable. Probably not worth fixing this version.

FemaleSuicide="%o has problems controling her Link Flyer..."
    MaleSuicide="%o has problems controling his Link Flyer...
'controlling'

Looking forward to trying it out :)
pooty

Post by pooty »

Looks really good.

Even with the Mesh item it seems to fire and look ok. The one thing I noticed though was you can't shoot down, basically underneath you. Not sure if that's intentional, but for healing vehicles you almost need the ability to shoot directly below.
pooty

Post by pooty »

So it doesn't work right on the server. I added it to the vehicle load out map. It flies, but the primary fire doesn't work, and the link beam is erratic.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

pooty wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:02 pm So it doesn't work right on the server. I added it to the vehicle load out map. It flies, but the primary fire doesn't work, and the link beam is erratic.
This is always the frustrating part. It works on my machine™ is always a devs famous last words :D

Best way to fix these is to setup another machine on the lan running UT2004. Use it to connect to your dev machine by IP address (use add to favorites functionality). On your dev machine, when you run your game with your mod, run ut2004.exe with -lanplay flag. This will make the mod download quickly to your client machine without needing to setup a redirect. Without the flag it downloads mods on the LAN extremely slow.

Generally, the only difference between client and server is if the method has 'simulated' on it or if the variable needs to be replicated. I will add log('') statements, e.g .

log("Current Rotation="$WeaponFireRotation$" My Flag="$bMyFlag);
log statements are weird how they concat string with $ symbol so I wanted to show an example.

Run the game, check the logs on the server machine, then check the logs on the client machine. You'll notice some of your variables are not set on the client, maybe bMyFlag is always false. This means it needs to be in replication block, e.g.

replication
{
    reliable if(Role == ROLE_Authority)
    	bMyFlag;
}
You'll also notice your log statements never get called on the client. This means that function is not called on the client. It might need 'simulated' modifier. It also might need to be redesigned unfortunately.
ItsMeAgain

Post by ItsMeAgain »

Thanks for the tips. I changed the bones, removed some unused variables, did not see anything that stood when i added the logs (other than a 400mb log file :) ) Seemed to load fine on FrostBite over -lanplay. I did notice the squirrely beam when turning and not being to aim directly below, it does however allow to lock onto charge and fly above, my first thought was well it needs a bit of handicap since beam is so powerful. The main fire seemed to work fine. I will try to load over -lanplay using the full load out map, if it works on that i will push another copy to google drive once i tame the crazy beam while turning.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

The latest loadout map is a bit too much and breaks the game. I wouldn't use it for testing. You'll get false positives. The other night YEAAAHHHH and I were playing 1 v 1 on the loadout map. Even with only two players many of the vehicles simply did not work correctly, vehicles that I'm certain do when not on that map.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

captainsnarf wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:40 am The latest loadout map is a bit too much and breaks the game. ...
Maybe split the loadout map into 2 maps?
pooty

Post by pooty »

The latest loadout map is a bit too much and breaks the game. I wouldn't use it for testing. You'll get false positives. The other night YEAAAHHHH and I were playing 1 v 1 on the loadout map. Even with only two players many of the vehicles simply did not work correctly, vehicles that I'm certain do when not on that map.
Yep, there's too many vehicles to render/track in the wideopen space. I am going to have to split it up -- or just remove it off the server. Maybe a version that has a few popular vehicles (Mino, Hurricane, some flyers) and then "newer" ones. I mean right now we don't really need the 87 versions of the scorpions that are on there.