ONS-Pistola

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
TotalBurn

Re: Map Testers wanted....

Post by TotalBurn »

More Node 4 issues. The same. Two additional spots where something is blocking movement and projectiles.
Node 4 - 2.jpg
Node 4 - 2.jpg (247.95 KiB) Viewed 1624 times
Here is a top view. This is as far as I can move forward then hit something.
Node 4 - 2 - Top.jpg
Node 4 - 2 - Top.jpg (233.13 KiB) Viewed 1624 times
Node 4 - 3.jpg
Node 4 - 3.jpg (241 KiB) Viewed 1624 times
TotalBurn

Re: ONS-Pistola

Post by TotalBurn »

Please test but I believe all outstanding issues are now fixed. Which include:

Blocking/Objects in path leaving red core left side
Blocking/Objects in paths around node 4
Node 4 Lightning gun now spawns
Node 1 Blocking/Object near rock

Download updated version
captainsnarf
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Post by captainsnarf »

Well holy shitballs, nice job!

I'm curious, how did you fix it?

I read the thread about bsp errors so I did a 'select all' and then made sure the snap to grid was selected with grid size=64, then moved everything a little in top and side views. That seemed to fix the blocking around node 4 but then I found more blocking in new areas.

I made a handful of maps for UT3, some of them with scripted actions and gameplay. You'd think I could use the ut2004 editor but I can barely select an actor :? . The editor just seems broken. I had to ask pooty how to rotate things. I was resorting to setting yaw/pitch/roll by hand. I open 'onslaught.u' in the actor browser, but nothing new shows up in the tree. Where are the power nodes? I had to copy/paste them from another map which is pretty lame.

I'm not sure how many maps I'm gonna do. I might stick with mods heh.
pooty

Post by pooty »

I had to ask pooty how to rotate things. I was resorting to setting yaw/pitch/roll by hand. I open 'onslaught.u' in the actor browser, but nothing new shows up in the tree. Where are the power nodes? I had to copy/paste them from another map which is pretty lame.
Yes, it took me a long time to figure out how to rotate, I was setting things by hand for a while too...and kept thinking there has to be better way (for those who want the secret, you select it in the top view and use the RMB and move the mouse to rotate. You can also drag. And sometimes the editor gets confused and thinks you want to move instead of rotate -- its a great exercise in patience).

I think you have to change the gametype in the level properties too.. but usually copy/paste is easier.
TotalBurn

Post by TotalBurn »

captainsnarf wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:33 am Well holy shitballs, nice job!

I'm curious, how did you fix it?
You are most welcome! Im glad I could help with something. Its a great map and I love what you did with it. I want to play it so bad I kept looking for the blockers. Turns out they were meshes that were tagged in a group named "InvisCollision". In the browser if you go to the "Groups" tab you'll see the InvisCollision group unchecked. Which makes it not visible in the editor, but active in the map.
Group-InvisCollision.JPG
Group-InvisCollision.JPG (242.11 KiB) Viewed 1616 times
captainsnarf wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:33 amI read the thread about bsp errors so I did a 'select all' and then made sure the snap to grid was selected with grid size=64, then moved everything a little in top and side views. That seemed to fix the blocking around node 4 but then I found more blocking in new areas.

I made a handful of maps for UT3, some of them with scripted actions and gameplay. You'd think I could use the ut2004 editor but I can barely select an actor :? . The editor just seems broken. I had to ask pooty how to rotate things. I was resorting to setting yaw/pitch/roll by hand. I open 'onslaught.u' in the actor browser, but nothing new shows up in the tree. Where are the power nodes? I had to copy/paste them from another map which is pretty lame.

I'm not sure how many maps I'm gonna do. I might stick with mods heh.
Yeah I thought for sure it was a weird BSP issue. It made sense at the time... The v2 editor in 2004 is a MF to use. I often accidentally select more than one item and when I copy/paste something, it causes all kinds of issues. Its laggy and a pain to work with. Definitely takes patience.

But yeah Groups. Who woulda thought if you uncheck a box it hides everything in that group in the editor. I had a message composed to say Im sorry I have to give up and then I thought, let me look through the browser real quick before towel tossing lol
TotalBurn

Post by TotalBurn »

The alternate node setups work just fine. Havent found any more issues. The hellbender is a game changer in taking a node as opposed to fighting for it on foot.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

I agree. Your fixed version works great. There are still some minor glitches that I don't know how to fix.

The weapon lockers on the terrain near 1 and 2 aren't quite on the ground because the terrain is not flat. I'm not sure how to flatten it, but it's probably not a big deal.

You can get on the cliffs using jump boots by node 1 but not by node 2. There should probably be a blocking volume there so you can't get up there, but I'm not sure how to add one. I'm ok with leaving it. It might get abused but it might also end up turning into a feature.

There is one thing we must fix though - we need to add your name to the credits :) Done.

Download here ONS-Pistola-v1.zip
pooty

Post by pooty »

There should probably be a blocking volume there so you can't get up there, but I'm not sure how to add one.
You need to build a "brush" get it the size/shape you need, move the brush and then make a blocking volume from it. Its a bit odd the way it works. Let me know if you want me to add one or show how its done.

WRT to the weapon lockers, you can play with pitch/roll and give them a tilt to match the terrain or just partially sink them.
pooty

Post by pooty »

A couple of thoughts:
- Might want to turn on QuadJump (LevelGameRules, add Quadjump mutator)
- I wonder if adding a few nodes might help? The bases are pretty cool, but all the action is outside them except the core. Might explore one or more nodes inside. Also maybe a node in the center under the bridge. This way it isn't just built node and direct shot at the enemy node, unless that's what you're going for but with say even 4v4, its going to stalemate pretty fast.

I couldn't find the jump boots?
TotalBurn

Post by TotalBurn »

captainsnarf wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:44 pmThe weapon lockers on the terrain near 1 and 2 aren't quite on the ground because the terrain is not flat. I'm not sure how to flatten it, but it's probably not a big deal.
I think Pooty had a great suggestion in sinking the lockers into the terrain. That should work fine. The space is so slight it shouldnt be an issue.
captainsnarf wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:44 pmYou can get on the cliffs using jump boots by node 1 but not by node 2. There should probably be a blocking volume there so you can't get up there, but I'm not sure how to add one. I'm ok with leaving it.
Leave it and see how things go. If someone wants to spend time up there, the team will call them out for not actually helping. Every map has a place to camp so I wouldnt put any priority on this. Not unless in game it becomes a real problem.
captainsnarf wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:44 pmThere is one thing we must fix though - we need to add your name to the credits :) Done.
My many thanks and appreciation! You are a class act.