New toy 'Pallas'

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
captainsnarf
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: New toy 'Pallas'

Post by captainsnarf »

Thanks for putting it on the server and thanks for the feedback!

I already found a few issues myself.

The range of the deployed primary fire (not SPMA mode) is artificially reduced and will always end after 2 seconds. I never noticed during testing because I was testing on Red Planet but Mass Destruction is a bigger map.

The rear PPC turret shooting through the floor is interesting! I might be able to fix that.

When I first put the PPC turret on the levi body, it was attached too low. Trying to shoot would always shoot yourself. I added code to work around that by making the projectile emanate from a little in front of the cannon. I've since fixed the low attachment. I probably don't need that workaround code anymore. I think that's what's making it shoot through the floor.

I'll add a HUD message or something about 'press space to deploy' since it's non-standard.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Ok, new version is here!

Changes:

Fixed range of deployed primary (non SPMA) fire
increased range of deployed SPMA fire
Reduced weaponfireoffset for PPC turret to help stop shooting through floor
added 'press space to deploy' message
moved PPC turrets to front and laser turrets to back

I tried for a while to get the main weapon (seeking missiles) to have zoom but it got really complicated really fast due to the interaction of altfire between deployment, camera, and now zoom.
Terminator

Post by Terminator »

Thank you for making me Pallas. 10.2/10.2

Favorite to Worse

Tiamat
Pallas
Leviathan
Hospitaler
Shocker
Kraken (closed Turret)
Chimera
Perses
Kraken (open Turret)
pooty

Post by pooty »

Hey one thing, can you add a version number to the Vehicle name?
eg. VehicleNameString="Mobreaker 1.0"
So maybe for the beta versions something like "Pallas 0.8"
This way as you add new versions we know what we are getting. It helps too in the editor so I can keep track of what's what, especially when they are embedded (which is how I think we should test things until stable then they get their own .u file)
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

pooty wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:35 am Hey one thing, can you add a version number to the Vehicle name?
eg. VehicleNameString="Mobreaker 1.0"
So maybe for the beta versions something like "Pallas 0.8"
This way as you add new versions we know what we are getting. It helps too in the editor so I can keep track of what's what, especially when they are embedded (which is how I think we should test things until stable then they get their own .u file)
Sure, np! I was curious how versioning would work :)

Here is the updated version with 1.0 in the name. CSPallas_1.0.zip
Most obvious difference visibly is PPC turrets are in the front, but that don't help much in the editor. Btw I never could get the PPC turrets to shoot through the floor so I'm not sure if that's fixed or not but I did try to adjust it. Hopefully this is the final version and no more fixes necessary.

> (which is how I think we should test things until stable then they get their own .u file)

If people get the .u file that means it's the final version. I think I'd have to make a new package then for it to re-download successfully.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Updated Version loaded on MassDestruction Pallas Test V10 on server. Still embeddedf or now..but we can test it out.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

I got to test it out a bit. Much better than the first one. The deployed primary fire can shoot across the map now. The SPMA fire can hit inside the nodes with a little luck.

The main problem with SPMA fire on Mass Destruction is the ceiling is too low. The the trajectory arc has but three determining factors: start location, end location, and gravity. If end location is too far, the arc can hit the ceiling. You can shoot SPMA further on Red Planet (higher ceiling) than Mass Destruction because of this.

PPC turrets can still shoot through the floor. You have to really aim directly at the floor.

I had an issue where the target reticle was stuck and I couldn't aim for a few seconds. Not sure what that was about as it seemed to work ok after that. Lag? Bug? Not sure.

I was hoping this might be the final version but I see there will be updates.
pooty

Post by pooty »

I had an issue where the target reticle was stuck and I couldn't aim for a few seconds. Not sure what that was about as it seemed to work ok after that. Lag? Bug? Not sure.
I saw that too. I didn't see any errors in the log(s). Does it do that on Red Planet? Maybe its the Ceiling interfering?
PPC turrets can still shoot through the floor. You have to really aim directly at the floor.
I couldn't duplicate, but didn't try too hard. Does this mean that the "explosion" happens below the terrain/surface? Any side effect other than not damaging enemies?
Terminator

Post by Terminator »

Can the right click make it deploy like normal?
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Terminator wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:04 pm Can the right click make it deploy like normal?
I right click and deploy. How do I fire the SPMA camera? Right click again? Then how do I undeploy?

That's when I came up with spacebar instead. Camera and deploy can't both be alt fire. If there is a better way I'm happy to try it though.