Any interest in non-symmetrical map?

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
TotalBurn

Re: Any interest in non-symmetrical map?

Post by TotalBurn »

Thanks Pooty! You and Snarf do so much that I wonder what Omni would be without you guys? I'd rather not find out.
TotalBurn

Post by TotalBurn »

Ok I saw in the chat log that people were not happy with the cicada and a couple people think the cranes should be removed. Im guessing they got sniped from there ;) Im open to all suggestions.
captainsnarf
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Post by captainsnarf »

It was chaos and it was fun :) I like the cranes
pooty

Post by pooty »

Yes keep the cranes! I think someone was commenting it wasn't symmetrical (too bad they don't read the forum).

A couple suggestions

Use some blockers to protect the core from the farther primaries. You can build them and then immediately shoot the core...
Consider offsetting the teleporters for the tunnel/chasm....so you'd have to run along the train to the other side to get back up.

I think the cicada is fine, its the reward for working and building that node which isn't easy since its in the center of the action.
TotalBurn

Post by TotalBurn »

** Updated **

Changes:
Moved train teleporters so the train divides them
Removed one door from each core
Added shipping containers to block direct core attack from other side of map

Download here
pooty

Post by pooty »

We played last night and blocking the core was good, but the "close" node to the core was impossible to regain once lost, as the whole other team spawns in the building and shoots it faster than you can even get to it from the core.... I think that building needs a wall in between so the oppostion has to walk around which would give the closer core players time to get the node up.
TotalBurn

Post by TotalBurn »

pooty wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:18 am We played last night and blocking the core was good, but the "close" node to the core was impossible to regain once lost, as the whole other team spawns in the building and shoots it faster than you can even get to it from the core.... I think that building needs a wall in between so the oppostion has to walk around which would give the closer core players time to get the node up.
Last night was the 1st time I got to play the map on the server. The carnage was beyond what I imagined, yet fun at the same time. I think you hit on a great idea. That primary was impossible to reclaim. I'll work on it today.
Miauz55555

Post by Miauz55555 »

I like the map design.
And I like how you named the Zones you have right now in the map. =D

Some things to optimise the map, not gameplay, just performance and so on:
  • Use the Ultimate Mapping tools to add forced dir volumes to the map site walls. Make them big enough.
  • You have to be carefull with small SM or BSPs because with a tank, or paladin it can be possible to stand behind one, but the projectile spawn point is behind it. So you can shoot but can’t be hit. For ground vehicles, blocking volumes are fine there.
  • For sure use the OnslaughtSpecials2_RNH for advanced Powernodes and Powercore as well as advanced minimap.
    Infos find here: http://ceonss.net/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1104
  • If you can’t find the files I can send them to you.
  • Adjust StallZ (blue line in site view) and KillZ (red line in site view) for each ZoneInfo and the map overall. StallZ should be ~3200 UU or more under the top of the level, not over it. KillZ should be ~64 UU under the lowest part of the respective Zone, so when you fall through the map, you don’t fall forever. You can see the line when you viewport (3D) is in the respective Zone and you build the map there.
  • Make the outside walls bigger (the first room bigger), now flyers hitting invisible walls. Easy with Vortex Editing, but be aware of the grid.
  • Make walls which are not visible and don’t need lightning “unlid”
  • Use RGB lighting when building the map.
  • Add a “NOTE” in the map. You can pull one out of my maps. There you can add the Edit history and so on within the map as free text. It’s nice for other mappers as well as for you when you come back after a time. (right click edit sorce code than compile changed within the note you got from my map. .. Be aware that there is another default note where you have just one line, it's ok but not very usefull.)
  • You need at least one more ZoneInfo for the overall world, yes you can use the map default one, but it’s unclean.
  • Within all ZoneInfos add ZoneSound -> ZoneEffect .. than the fitting for the Zone. With that you will have better and proper gamesound locations (weaponfire and so on).
  • You can use Volumes to create LocationNames where you can’t add another ZoneInfo.
  • You can use some ZonePortals more to divide the train down and the lower part in general.
  • There should be some Antiportals + InvisibleCullisionHulls in the map to divide the sites a bit. Here I describe how to: http://ceonss.net/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=887 You could for example build a container wall and inside it make an Antiportal, or create a shed in front as Antiportal. The network connection will thank you. You can check what is loaded when testing with console command “rmode NUMBER” (1 to 5 instead the word and without quotes).
  • Take a look at the bot paths. In the middle down the teleporters aren’t connected to the node. You can “ForcedPath” in the settings of all paths, do it to connect some better. For example the both road path nodes on the bridge, which are not connected. Such a connection will be yellow. In general try to make all connections white.
  • On RoadPathNode the MaxRoadDist, lower the number to restrict the automatic path building in range.
  • Add some more roadpathnodes, and flyerpaths. Some of the paths on the root are not connected.
  • Regarding bot paths, my personal meaning is that the bots shall play the map good. With vehicles it's not so easy as without. I would rather do some good clean paths, than randomly putting pathnodes over the map and hope they will connect well. So it's OK for me when bot's don't go everywhere, but to the important places.
  • You can have respawning explosive barrels, if you like. You can pull them from my “RottenTank” map, if you like. You can also change the SM of it, just be aware that the collision should fit.
  • Remove all collisions from small SM.
I for sure forgot something.
But it should be some tasks already. =^_^=
pooty

Post by pooty »

Thanks, great information!
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

TotalBurn wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:55 pm ONS-Hangar-18 is complete

Changes:
- Fixed more collision
- Removed arvils, except at core
- Added mini map
- Added tribute to Snarf and Pooty by naming buildings after them

Download here
After playing Hangar a couple times, some observations:
- The map seems to play very lopsided. Can't remember which side config has the advantage, but every time teams switched sides, the "advantaged" or "easy" side wins via total slaughter. This is the usual case with non-symmetrical maps and prob why there aren't many of them. One side is likely to have an advantage over the other, only way to mitigate that is symmetry. I'm not a big fan of non-symmetrical maps for this reason.

- Removal of all vehicles would make this a much better map, it's too small for them. Maybe one manta per team at the core. It's kinda ridiculous having any flyers, especially a Cicada, on such a small map. The badgers are also overkill and make it impossible to come back from no nodes.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain