server tick rate

Got a Glitch? Always Lagging? Need help with anything technical? Want to move off Windows XP?
captainsnarf
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

server tick rate

Post by captainsnarf »

I notice the omni 2.0 server tick rate says 27.78/28.0 (max)

The ceons server says 29.95/30.0 (max).

What's the difference?
pooty

Re: server tick rate

Post by pooty »

About 2.
Seriously though our is lower because the Omni server is windows, and CEONSS is linux. Linux usually needs a higher rate to get same frames. See:
https://wiki.unrealadmin.org/Netspeed_Tutorial_(UT)

I played with it a bit when setting up the server...over 28 it really started to hit the CPU hard, and with 18+ players lag was quite noticable. Lower felt sluggish so after a bit of back and forth settled on 28. I wasn't as concerned with a number as one that provided the best play experience.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Bringing this old thread back up. Still can't hit shit on our server, not like I can on other servers. My ping is pretty consistent 46ms. It's not my ping, and you saw my online/offline lag videos.

The HoC server is set to 100 tick rate, and I can land flick shots with the LG there pretty consistently, at least as well as I can offline anyway. It is a DM server and probably most maps are heavily optimized with zone portals etc, but still...

I went through every server in the UT2004 server browser for DM, VCTF, and ONS games looking for tick rates. The Omni 2.0 server is the lowest tick rate in the world.

If it's a matter of server resources, I'll happily donate $$$ for a better server to get our tick rate higher.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

captainsnarf wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:19 am ...
The HoC server is set to 100 tick rate,
Side note about tick rates:

A tick is a single beat of the operating system clock. On our target OS at work, the default tick rate is 60 Hz. Meaning you could get 1/60 second (16.7 millisecond) granularity for context switches between threads. Our application needed context switches requiring 4-millisecond servicing of critical events. We bumped our system's tick rate to 1000 Hz. Our OS vendor thought we were crazy, but it works. - "Military grade death from above." - LOL
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

If I recall correctly, the Windows OS tick rate is 1000hz.
pooty

Post by pooty »

I played a bit with tickrate when setting the server up...much trial and error, when I set it higher it really pounds the cpu. I can try bumping it a little, but you'll see big time lag when the players go over 20.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

McLovin wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:23 am ...
"Military grade death from above."
https://youtu.be/i-gMMQTt5-c
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Hmm, we definitely don't want it to lag when the server is full. Do you know what the cpu is and how it's shared?

I get free credits for azure cloud. I might be able to setup something there. Not sure it would help though.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Server is Intel Xeon E5-2667v2 (Ivy Bridge-E 3.3ghz) node with 16 total processor cores and 128 gigabytes of RAM.
It is shared, but we have high priority.

There's some basic metrics on nfo control panel.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

hmm that seems plenty beefy to run this old game.

I'm guessing its because we are an ONS server which requires more processing? I believe power nodes and vehicles have the same net priority as players, so when you say 20+ players can cause problems that's players + vehicles + power nodes. I think vehicle Tick() method is disabled until there is someone in it so it should only be driven vehicles contributing to lag. I wonder if there are some problematic vehicles. Anonymous already pointed out Marvin's emitter issue which has since been fixed.