Lagged out

Got a Glitch? Always Lagging? Need help with anything technical? Want to move off Windows XP?
Super Sanka

Lagged out

Post by Super Sanka »

I lagged out numerous times on valarna tonight. Couldn't see my crosshair or weapon effects for the majority of the match. Checking the match history it recorded me playing for 2 hours lul.

Any idea of why it happened?

https://www.omnipotents.com/utstats/mat ... match=1666
captainsnarf
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Lagged out

Post by captainsnarf »

I had the same problems. That match was nearly unplayable for me.

27 players, levis, mechs, and a map design that is basically a big bowl that you can see everybody. It's the worse case scenario for the engine to handle.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

There was significant lag throughout several matches last night. Frequent unregs, but the lag was in and out, not constant.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

So from a CPU perspective its been pretty good.
Last night it barely touched 50% CPU, on previous nights with UTComp it was spiking as high as 89%

So that leaves two things IMO.
1. We are still on shared server and perhaps other processes are slowing the machine down outside our game. I don't know if there's any way for us/NFO to tell, but I will ask.
2. UTComp still has some spots in it that cause the lag.

1 is fixed by Dedicated Server, 2 is fixed by either some recoding in UTComp or going back to ONSPlusOmni. I think everyone would rather have UTComp, and we only seem to see the lag with 22+, and certain maps like MassD, Minus tend to make it worse.

I can try lowering the tick rate from 28 to 26, which should help with CPU and perhaps with ping compensation on it won't be noticable.
Xexx

Post by Xexx »

zounds and hitsounds aren't UTComp right? At this point, I think ONSPlusOmni is superior. This lag compensation is not helping anyone... Yesterday I had already jumped out of my vehicle and started healing it on top of the building and it had decided a guy on the ground totally out of line of sight killed me earlier.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Hitsounds are from UTComp. If we don't use UTComp, then we lose the Brightskins and Hitsounds as well as the Ping compensation.

Zounds is standalone and doesn't affect anything.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Xexx wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:46 pm zounds and hitsounds aren't UTComp right? At this point, I think ONSPlusOmni is superior. This lag compensation is not helping anyone... Yesterday I had already jumped out of my vehicle and started healing it on top of the building and it had decided a guy on the ground totally out of line of sight killed me earlier.
Lag compensation is helping me. I don't enjoy playing on our server without it anymore.
pooty

Post by pooty »

So I lowered the tick rate to 26 which seemed to help quite a bit, we had a full server last night and I didn't see any lag complaints. I asked and many felt it was much better.

There's lots of goodness with UTComp, especially thanks to Snarf, the Omni version, so removing it is a last resort.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

captainsnarf wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:31 am ...
Lag compensation is helping me. I don't enjoy playing on our server without it anymore.
What is "Lag compensation" and how does it work?
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

UTComp figures out how much ping you have with the server, say 50ms, then back-tracks your aim to where it was 50ms ago and fires your shot their instead. This way you can aim where the enemy is instead of lead your shot. You shouldn't have to lead your shot with instant fire weapons but on our server when it's lagging you do.

If use vehicles most of the time and don't DM that much then you wouldn't notice.