PingCompensation2

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
captainsnarf
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

PingCompensation2

Post by captainsnarf »

I found Wormbo's PingCompensation2 mutator. It's not on his homepage anymore. Download here PingCompensation2.zip

Since we turned off UTComp's ENC, maybe we can try this one instead. I have no idea how well it works but it is much lighter than UTComp's netcode.
pooty

Re: PingCompensation2

Post by pooty »

Do we want to put that into UTComp or run it seperately?
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

it can be run separately. I don't think it should be run with UTComp ENC turned on though. If it works ok, maybe we can incorporate it into UTComp as a new option.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Looking at this, it looks like:
1. It does not make a copy of the Pawns - which might be the fundamental flaw in UTComp with vehicles.
2. Runs mostly on the client side, meaning each players client executes the extra code, not the server.

Code: Select all

if ( Level.NetMode != NM_Client ) {
    Disable('Tick');
    return;
  }
Not sure what the overhead is, might even be worth coding a local .ini flag to just ignore this completely if it places too much load on the client -- but I am going to guess nearly all of us have enough compute to make this work.

I'll load it up tomorrow am. I probably won't be on tonight so I don't want to put it on and have it not work and they not be there to back it out if need be.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Loaded on the Server. Played a bit with bots, didn't notice any adverse affects, but I had 36-40 ping so I doubt anything would change for me. Lets see how it does at load, and hopefully our high pingers get some benefit without any added lag.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

pooty wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:15 am Loaded on the Server. Played a bit with bots, didn't notice any adverse affects, but I had 36-40 ping so I doubt anything would change for me. Lets see how it does at load, and hopefully our high pingers get some benefit without any added lag.
I thought you said in the UTcomp thread this was loaded but not active?
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Enyo wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:23 am
pooty wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:15 am Loaded on the Server. Played a bit with bots, didn't notice any adverse affects, but I had 36-40 ping so I doubt anything would change for me. Lets see how it does at load, and hopefully our high pingers get some benefit without any added lag.
I thought you said in the UTcomp thread this was loaded but not active?
I think we are going to try the new UTComp setting first (PawnCollisionHistoryLength) before trying Wormbo's version.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Correct we adjusted somethings in UTComp. UTComp Enhanced Netcode is Enabled, but off by default -- players have to turn it on if they want it.
PingCompensation2 is uploaded on the server, I tested it briefly, but its presently turned off ie. that mutator isn't loaded for the game.