Auto teams after 30 seconds?

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
McLovin
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Auto teams after 30 seconds?

Post by McLovin »

While spectating this past week I had to type "teams" at least 3 times when 1 team was down by 2 players.

Algorithm:

If (live players >= 10) and (red team count and blue team count difference is >=2) and (wait 30 seconds) then
auto teams
captainsnarf

Re: Auto teams after 30 seconds?

Post by captainsnarf »

We use UAdminMod for the teams command. We don't have a customized version of that one.

We have a customized version of EvenMatch that does have a teams command, but we don't use that teams command because it sucks. I think it does a shuffle also and there is a delay and announcement, something like "teams will be balanced in 30 seconds..."
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Can we activate it to go off when the conditions are met stated in the algorithm (or similar) above automatically? So nobody ever has to manually enter "teams" in the chat box anymore? I'd suggest not doing an auto "shuffle", that pisses people off when they get switched for team balance. It doesn't take long for a team that is down 2 players to disintegrate, which causes even more players to bail on their own. There have been a few times when it was unbalanced teams by 2 players, but the game clock was less than 1 minute left, and I've let it ride without typing "teams."
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

We don't have a customized version of UAdminMod, so there is no place to 'activate' it. A player has to type 'teams' into the chat window to activate it.

The other mutators like EvenMatch and UTComp are not players, so they can't actually chat in the window. They can broadcast messages like "Player called for a balance check" but that's not chat or part of the chat window. It is a console message but not a chat message. Chat messages go into the logs and more importantly have a player replication info object tied to them. That's what UAdminMod is listening for.
pooty

Post by pooty »

We could do it. EvenMatch has this option
https://github.com/TheRealWormbo/EvenMatch
bBalanceTeamsWhilePlaying
"Apply balancing during a round if the game becomes one-sided due to team size differences."

I think it randomly switches someone.

That being said, it uses different logic, it switches someone who's dead and upon respawn they are on a new team.

I think its unecessary though, any player can use 'teams' from UAdminMod to balance by last joined. Plus having it auto means it checks and during peak times lots of joining/leaving..I'd be worried it would thrash a bit.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

pooty wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:51 pm ...
I think its unecessary though, any player can use 'teams' from UAdminMod to balance by last joined.
True. But I've seen it go when everybody was to busy to keep checking the scoreboard and the team balance.
pooty wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:51 pm ...
Plus having it auto means it checks and during peak times lots of joining/leaving..I'd be worried it would thrash a bit.
That's why I suggest a timeout of 30 seconds, or even longer, so it doesn't thrash.

One thing bad might be some would learn how to game it, like they do now with spectating to force player switches.