Why I like the omni minotaur...

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
FuriousRabbit

Why I like the omni minotaur...

Post by FuriousRabbit »

This vehicle has been a staple of the OMNI server for as long as I can remember. Lately, there has been a lot of talk about removing it or replacing it with classic.

But, believe it or not, I think the Mino makes the game play so much more interesting and promotes teamwork. I love attacking the Mino. If someone on the other team is dominating the map with it, you have to attack it. There's nothing more beautiful than seeing 2 of my teammates joining me it attacking the Mino on Nevermore as soon as it comes into play. And it's a well balanced vehicle. A single foot soldier can often take it down. Now and then, you get Dognuts in the mino spot covered by two teamates in a Hurricane and a PPC. Then you are fucked, but the other team deserves the advantage for meeting the low-bar of actually deciding to work together as a team.

I don't know. I guess I like these challenges and it is why I come to this server. Remember Dimshade on the hills in DJY with a turtle? If you worked with another hammerhead, you could take him down in two seconds. But instead the map was changed because too many people complained. That challenge is gone. Now the nuke tank is gone, there goes that dynamic. There is so much effort on moderating the fun dynamics in the game and so many new crazy vehicles that are randomly placed without effective counter strategies. Again, the Mino has a very trivial counter (as long as you can get to it with a flyer or hoverboard) that any dummy can master. By contrast, you have to be a super pro to take down Tater in a wyvern.

I've gotten over the fact that many well designed maps have been replaced with randomizers and crazy vehicles. But please don't take away the mino!
Enyo
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Why I like the omni minotaur...

Post by Enyo »

A fair point, I get the appeal of the omnitaur and it has been a staple on OMNI for a long time.

I disagree that it’s any less of a “crazy vehicle” than many of the new vehicles that have been added over the last few years. All of the newer “crazy vehicles” have weaknesses and can be easily countered if you know how. FYI, the Wyvern has been around as long or longer than the Mino.

The real problem is that new vehicles and new maps change the dynamics of play and we no longer have a dynamic community of players. Most are stuck in their old tank tard ways and refuse to learn anything new. There’s more than a small handful of longtime players that still don’t know how to dodge jump.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

I've been complaining the most.

On a map like Alienhop, Xexx can spam your primary from their primary. The match is decided in less than 20 seconds. I think it's pretty dumb, but maybe people like that challenge? A similar thing happens on Minus with mino in the dognuts spot hitting 8/9. If one mino sits there, and the other goes random direction, you are losing.

We have a lot of maps without the mino. They rarely win the vote though. Regular nevermore seems to win out over pooty's nevermore, which I feel is superior. To Enyo's point, maybe it's not the mino or the map rotation limit. Maybe it's the crowd. They have a strategy they are successful at which involves the mino, and don't want to change. Nautikal is one of our better players, and he'll complain about change too. He plays the game to relax, not to be stressed out by chaos. For me the chaos is the 'relaxing' part. It's why I've been liking DM more lately. Different strokes I guess.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Enyo wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:55 am ...
"All of the newer “crazy vehicles” have weaknesses and can be easily countered if you know how. "
Termi is the best one I know of that can discover a unique and devastating exploit. I shutter at the thought of playing an entire team of Termi's.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Rest easy FR, its not going away. I am working on maps that have different levels/appeal. Some are TMU, Some flyers, Some higher powered with mino, others more DM, others lower more "classic". I think variety is key...we play MB all the time and it has no cool vehicles. I try to balance the maps/vehicles so there are cool strategies to use power vehicles and ways to defeat them. I'd like to make something for everyone....
But, believe it or not, I think the Mino makes the game play so much more interesting and promotes teamwork. I love attacking the Mino. If someone on the other team is dominating the map with it, you have to attack it. There's nothing more beautiful than seeing 2 of my teammates joining me it attacking the Mino on Nevermore as soon as it comes into play. And it's a well balanced vehicle. A single foot soldier can often take it down. Now and then, you get Dognuts in the mino spot covered by two teamates in a Hurricane and a PPC. Then you are fucked, but the other team deserves the advantage for meeting the low-bar of actually deciding to work together as a team.
Yes, Yes, 100% Fuck yes.

Teamwork here is hard, some get it, some never will. Even some vehicle combos (like Hospitaler with link turret, linking Linkatron linking Hospitaler on HSH Xmas .. they can link each other like forever.), or vehicles with gunners....
FuriousRabbit

Post by FuriousRabbit »

captainsnarf wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:47 am I've been complaining the most.
There should be an award for this. I'm also pretty good at complaining.
captainsnarf wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:47 am On a map like Alienhop, Xexx can spam your primary from their primary. The match is decided in less than 20 seconds. I think it's pretty dumb, but maybe people like that challenge?
This is a good example. On Alienhop, if you take a manta, you first build the primary, then have to choose between building the secondary or attacking the mino. Both are good choices. Without the mino, obviously you just go for the secondary. Less dynamics.
FuriousRabbit

Post by FuriousRabbit »

McLovin wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:14 pm
Enyo wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:55 am ...
"All of the newer “crazy vehicles” have weaknesses and can be easily countered if you know how. "
Termi is the best one I know of that can discover a unique and devastating exploit. I shutter at the thought of playing an entire team of Termi's.
And he's a very capable player which goes to my other point about not needing to be a super pro to counter the mino. Any dummy can slop goo on a mino. You just need the will (and a vague notion of strategy) to do it. Getting a headshot on the mech's with an LG is nearly impossible for me. Many of the new flyers also require a lot of precision to counter.
macintoxicated

Post by macintoxicated »

This is gonna be a huge n00b question. What does the mino look like? I’m not sure I’ve ever seen it
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

macintoxicated wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:05 pm This is gonna be a huge n00b question. What does the mino look like? I’m not sure I’ve ever seen it
Hey Mac, no worry about the question. Glad you're here. I've seen you in a bunch of other servers.

The Omni "Mino" (called Minotaur officially in-game) looks like a standard tank but is bright orange for red team and bright teal for blue team.

It's a pretty ridiculously powerful tank. The main cannon can kill pretty much anything with one shot and has a massive amount of splash damage. It's also very slow and heavy. It's kind of a pivotal vehicle for whatever map it's on so it's good to keep an eye on it. I wouldn't suggest driving it on full servers, but it's a good idea to ride in the 2nd or 3rd seat to learn how to use it. It's also super helpful for the driver to have a gunner.

The 2nd seat is a minigun and the 3rd seat is a laser. The minigun is good because it's slightly more powerful and won't give away your location as easily. It can't shoot straight up though. The laser is good if a flyer is right above you, but it blows your stealth.
pooty

Post by pooty »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2MfxR4MW-w

Best part that video is from 2009...