Master server shutting down on Jan 24th

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
Xexx

Re: Master server shutting down on Jan 24th

Post by Xexx »

pooty wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:48 pm So banning is done locally on our server, not dependent on Epic servers.
Not sure on CD key auth, but I haven't used a CD in years.. as long as you have a valid key in your windows registry you're fine.
I assume the CD-key is authorized to play by the master server? Dont official servers try to check on the authorization when joining?
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

Wont this game be free "abaondonware" at this point anyway?
COLDCUT

Re: Stats page down

Post by COLDCUT »

poof
Last edited by COLDCUT on Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Abandonware has no legal definition. The game is still Epic's property. The term is more murky when the legal owner itself dissolves. Then there is nobody left to sue you.
CD key generators have existed for a long time for this game. I doubt there is a list of valid CD keys that some master server somewhere kept track of (UTAN being the exception). There is an algorithm. If your playerID matches then you are considered to have a valid CD key. PlayerID bans are stored on each server that bans them.
pooty

Post by pooty »

I assume the CD-key is authorized to play by the master server? Dont official servers try to check on the authorization when joining?
Nope. You can run UT2004 all day long with no internet.
And I tested yesterday with no connection to the master server and could join just fine -- without the "uplink" you won't see it online in the list.. and even our hosting company NFO thought the server was OFFLINE, but you could connect just fine.

I think the openspy thing will get worked out too, so we will have that listing, just need to make a local config change.
FuriousRabbit

Post by FuriousRabbit »

reshred wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:36 pm a few years back i stopped being able to reload from my multiple disc original game, and so just loaded from Steam, i guess I am gonna be SOL jan 24?
I've been copying the game directory from system to system for about 12 years now. This is on Linux though... not sure if it works the same on Windows but otherwise I'd be happy to share the directory. I've been surprised by how many stamped CDs fail after about 20 years. Thought those would last forever. Mind you, I'm also down to one remaining disc drive in the house... that I use once every 5 years.
FuriousRabbit

Post by FuriousRabbit »

pooty wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:47 am And I tested yesterday with no connection to the master server and could join just fine.
What is the IP or range of IP's to block for the master server? I want to test my client as well.
pooty

Post by pooty »

In the UT2004.ini file

[Engine.GameEngine]
GameStatsClass=IpDrv.MasterServerGameStats

Controls comms with Master Server. I had to change it for the stats logging and when I changed it back, I forgot the above entry so no master communication, I was able to connect via my local PC to the game running on NFO that reported no master connect. (In fact without it, NFO thought the server was down... so they must tap into that feed somehow).
FuriousRabbit

Post by FuriousRabbit »

pooty wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:07 pm In the UT2004.ini file

[Engine.GameEngine]
GameStatsClass=IpDrv.MasterServerGameStats

Controls comms with Master Server. I had to change it for the stats logging and when I changed it back, I forgot the above entry so no master communication, I was able to connect via my local PC to the game running on NFO that reported no master connect. (In fact without it, NFO thought the server was down... so they must tap into that feed somehow).
Tested with a nonsense string and was still able to connect to my omni favorite fine so that's good.
macintoxicated

Post by macintoxicated »

4Doors wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:04 pm Just had the below link posted to the BMS clan server (thanks Miauz)

https://ut2004serverlist.com/

Seems like a possibility to at least guarantee OMNI stays alive. Wouldn't solve the issue of new/less frequent players likely not coming back tho.

Maybe we blast this on the front page of the forum + make ppl aware of it as much as possible before 1/24?
Yes this a good idea. Let's do this!