I'm coming back

YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: I'm coming back

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

GuythatkillsU wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:42 pm Can you still buy ut2004 on steam?
...We've had quite a ride since you left. Maybe a gif from the Matrix would have been better.

First was the migration away from the original server. Most of those in charge went MIA so we were basically on a moving train with no captain. It's somehow still working, but this new 2.0 server was started so we can have control over it.

There have been quite a few mods since, but most of them still fit the genre of the original Omni server. It's mostly new vehicles.

A few months ago Epic Games announced they are closing the ut2004 master server. Luckily the user base was tech savvy enough to create a new one within a couple of days. You cannot buy the game on steam anymore unfortunately.
Anonymous.

Post by Anonymous. »

GuythatkillsU wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:42 pm Its sad that Windows 7 isn't supported anymore as I would gladly pay for updates to keep using my perfectly good hardware. I will take your guys' suggestion and install Win 10, thank you.
You can get the extended security updates for free with BypassESU AIO (login required to view). I personally haven't bothered though, the only useful update of those is added support for UEFI only systems, which I don't have.

Supposedly Rufus has a GUI to easily turn off the Windows 11 requirements (TPM, secure boot, etc.)
https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/byp ... equirement
Last edited by Anonymous. on Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pooty

Post by pooty »

First was the migration away from the original server. Most of those in charge went MIA so we were basically on a moving train with no captain. It's somehow still working, but this new 2.0 server was started so we can have control over it.

There have been quite a few mods since, but most of them still fit the genre of the original Omni server. It's mostly new vehicles.

A few months ago Epic Games announced they are closing the ut2004 master server. Luckily the user base was tech savvy enough to create a new one within a couple of days. You cannot buy the game on steam anymore unfortunately.
1. Yep, the old 1.0 server was run by Anal)o(g and no one was able to get in contact with him, even via FB or other sites. That server is running in a Datacenter in East Lansing, MI (about 35 miles from me actually), but no one knows exactly where, why and more importantly no one has any login info.

2. Just a few mods and new map edits. Mostly we tried to fix bugs (like Avrils not working on badgers) and tweak them for balanced play, although we still have the OP mino.

3. Ebay has the game for sale.. I posted a free CD key from an ebay auction. (Ok, so its not really free, but if they were dumb enough to post it in a public auction, its not my fault).
FuriousRabbit

Post by FuriousRabbit »

GuythatkillsU wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:42 pm Today, I have decided to stretch my budget a bit more and look for a Ryzen 5600x Hexcore to take me the next ten years or maybe longer and see what modern games might be available to play around with. I would like to dink around with Linux a bit but I need something that works without too much fiddling as I don't have a lot of time like I used to.
I have a blast building out new systems too. Whatever you invest in now, having it last 10 years won't be much of an issue since Moore's law is effectively dead (probably since 2020). If you ever do want to fiddle with Linux, install VirtualBox on your windows machine and then Linux in that. You won't be able to play games in Linux but 2D graphics works fine. All the above software is free (but stay away from commercial use of VirtualBox). If you did want to try games, you'd have to dual boot which works perfectly well but is a pain in the ass.
Lehi

Post by Lehi »

Welcome back Guy! I keep hearing “stupid monkeys” in my head when I on the losing team!

Smoker used to live close to me. Might still have his number
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

He's back, confirmed!
infinitecat

Post by infinitecat »

I encountered at least SOMEone named Guythatkillsu a couple of nights ago in late night game. Seemed to know his shit though I never saw his birth certificate. Coulda been Obama. :lol:
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Welcome back Guy!

"Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen!"

https://youtu.be/sU9_Irda0Dw
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

infinitecat wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:58 am I encountered at least SOMEone named Guythatkillsu a couple of nights ago in late night game. Seemed to know his shit though I never saw his birth certificate. Coulda been Obama. :lol:
Heard him on voice chat, so definitely him, unless someone has a good voice changer device programmed to sound EXACTLY like GTKU.

Then again, he was way nicer than the old GTKU. Kinda hoping the old "stupid shitstains" Guy starts creeping back in.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

Enyo wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:41 pm
infinitecat wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:58 am I encountered at least SOMEone named Guythatkillsu a couple of nights ago in late night game. Seemed to know his shit though I never saw his birth certificate. Coulda been Obama. :lol:
Heard him on voice chat, so definitely him, unless someone has a good voice changer device programmed to sound EXACTLY like GTKU.

Then again, he was way nicer than the old GTKU. Kinda hoping the old "stupid shitstains" Guy starts creeping back in.
It's like Pulp Fiction... he's in a "transitional period"