Evergreen ...

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Evergreen ...

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

pooty wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:44 am
The side with 2 nodes connecting to 3 has the advantage since you have to take down both connecting nodes to lock it and the other side only has to kill one node.
Yes, I'll address that with the node layout fixes. I think the idea is to have separate "battles" for key nodes... you can load up one side but then lose one of the other paths. Plus I think a cut off is good too.
Yeah I liked that element of this map. It kind of felt like we all split into different maps. On my way to 3 from the core I flew past a separate battle zone in a dropship and everyone ignored me.
pooty

Post by pooty »

ONS-Evergreen-p00tylicious-V3.ut2
Change Node layout a bit. Cut off from 8 to 9. Lets see how that plays

I think ultimately I am going to add another node on the left side and make three parallel paths (right middle left) and maybe one cut off.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

pooty wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:09 pm ONS-Evergreen-p00tylicious-V3.ut2
Change Node layout a bit. Cut off from 8 to 9. Lets see how that plays

I think ultimately I am going to add another node on the left side and make three parallel paths (right middle left) and maybe one cut off.
Still seemed to be too much about node 3. I'd recommend adding a third fully separate path, but maybe cross connect them so the middle path can cut off 3 or 4.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

Yep. It was better but not quite there, but much more fun and even with it being huge, seemed much more fun. I think it was Anon that pointed out, this map really does penalize lack of team work.. you have to have an advance team ready and/or use teamwork to defend. If you use the I'll just get to the next node myself doesn't work... (unless maybe starbolt)

I am going to add a node between on what is now 6/12 on the left side. So there will be
- Zig/Zag path to cores on left
- Middle straight shot through 4 (node high on the hill)
- Right side 1/3/2 end around.

And then one or two crosspath cutoffs should do it. It will renumber the nodes though (don't have any control over it), but I think there should give us the extra path. 3 will still be vital, but so will 4 and the newnode.

I'll also go through the vehicles again. I think the cores are good. But a few of the outliers might need changes.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

pooty wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:19 am

I'll also go through the vehicles again. I think the cores are good. But a few of the outliers might need changes.
Yeah maybe a couple more good vehicles out near those critcial nodes. It was frustrating trying to spawn at whichever node connects to 3 only to have vehicles that take forever to get there. The manta couldn't even get over that big hill.
pooty

Post by pooty »

So here's two prospective layouts, not sure which I like better. Leaning toward the second one

CenterHill

XandHill
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Try prospective configurations in a randomizer?

Also maybe you can model some after popular maps like minus and dria.

Both of these look good to me.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

Or maybe something like this... in your 2nd config, there's 5 nodes to core on every path EXCEPT going from 9 to 13 (or 10 to 6) there's only 4 nodes. That's the path I'd start taking since getting13/6 down also locks 3 nodes on the left side. The layout below makes it 5 nodes to core regardless of the path you take.

Hard to tell though until we play all the layouts... I like YEAAAHHHHHHHHHHH's idea of making the layouts randomized so we can try them out and see which plays best. Let's try all 3!

Or maybe even the 4th option below. 5 would become a pivotal node for cutting off the top/bottom paths, but would be very difficult to keep it locked with 3 nodes attached to it.

CenterHill2

KingoftheHill
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

I set up those link layouts and randomize it, so we can try them. On the server!
pooty

Post by pooty »

So we played last night...

The new node (2 shown below, 1 on actual map -- wish I had control of node numbering..) seemed to work well to balance attack routes....

Both node layouts, 1st XandHill and 2nd CenterHill did well. I think Enyo like first (in order they were posted here) better. Edit: I added the names to the node layouts on the forum posts.

Things to work on:
Vehicle mix. I think the goal will be each node has at least 1 flyer, 1 manta/flyer type, 1-2 ground/anti-air movers (Centaur/Hellhounds), Some have Aegis types for defense. I think it would be cool for each middle node to have some reward vehicle (like the Odin at the middle right).
- I want to remove the Arbiter - flying rail tank - it wrecks the "dogfighting" and any single shot flyer kills should only come from ground (relatively fixed positions). With such a big open space its too hard to even find out where its at before boom you're dead. We have starbolt for intercepting, as well as guppy bomber, which is formidable in air to air.

I think the other flyers are ok, as the other bombers take more than one shot to kill, and the dragon's beam is far reaching, but that its slow moving target.

I also wonder if adding something to the top hill node for defence, maybe a turret? node shield might be cool. Something to help you protect it a bit more, its pretty easy to take down.