Power Node Base vs. Sphere Damage

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
Enyo
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: General Map Announcement Thread

Post by Enyo »

pooty wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:22 pm Wraith 1.61 - Fixed issue with linking ONSSpecialPowerNodes (used on several maps including Minus) where you can link any part (base, shield, sphere) of node. Also turned off Dynamic Light on missles and beam. Dynamic light can be pretty gpu/cpu intensive...and while the little glow those give off are not worth lag.
How about the issue where hitting the top of the node does less damage than hitting the base? I think they should take the same damage.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

From Wraith's perspective with the Beam Yes, it actually redirects the beam to the base. The visual effect is different though.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

pooty wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:12 pm From Wraith's perspective with the Beam Yes, it actually redirects the beam to the base. The visual effect is different though.
Sorry, I wasn't clear... I didn't mean to reference the Wraith beam specifically. What I meant was on some maps, with any vehicle when you shoot the top of the node (the sphere) it does less damage than when you shoot the base. Is there a fix possible for that? Or is that by design for some reason? Seems it should do the same damage regardless where you hit the node.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

Nope. EnergySphere (top of node) directs the damage to the base node's take damage, so they are the same.

Code: Select all

function TakeDamage( int Damage, Pawn instigatedBy, Vector hitlocation, Vector momentum, class<DamageType> damageType)
{
    if (PowerNode != None)
        PowerNode.TakeDamage(Damage, instigatedBy, hitlocation, momentum, damageType);
}
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

pooty wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:08 pm Nope. EnergySphere (top of node) directs the damage to the base node's take damage, so they are the same.

function TakeDamage( int Damage, Pawn instigatedBy, Vector hitlocation, Vector momentum, class<DamageType> damageType)
{
    if (PowerNode != None)
}
I know this is true, but I also think Enyo is on to something. I noticed when I'm playing sometimes the hitsound is a slightly deeper sound hitting the base than the energy sphere, like it's doing more damage on the base.

Splash damage weapons like rockets do a 'HurtRadius' call which then calls TakeDamage. I wonder if the damage value passed in to TakeDamage is actually smaller when you shoot the energy sphere, like HurtRadius counts a direct hit on the energy sphere as not 100% direct compared to the base.
pooty

Power Node Base vs. Sphere Damage

Post by pooty »

I thought to there was something like if you damaged the node and so did a teammate it took more damage but I don't see that in the code.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Re: Power Node Base vs. Sphere Damage

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

I always make sure shock balls land as close to the base as possible. I never had any hard data on that.

Speaking of damage, do manta projectiles lose any power over distance?
Super Sanka

Post by Super Sanka »

captainsnarf wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:21 pm
pooty wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:08 pm Nope. EnergySphere (top of node) directs the damage to the base node's take damage, so they are the same.

{
    if (PowerNode != None)
}
I know this is true, but I also think Enyo is on to something. I noticed when I'm playing sometimes the hitsound is a slightly deeper sound hitting the base than the energy sphere, like it's doing more damage on the base.

Splash damage weapons like rockets do a 'HurtRadius' call which then calls TakeDamage. I wonder if the damage value passed in to TakeDamage is actually smaller when you shoot the energy sphere, like HurtRadius counts a direct hit on the energy sphere as not 100% direct compared to the base.
If you shock combo the middle space between the base and sphere does it do double damage since the explosion hits both then?
pooty

Post by pooty »

If you shock combo the middle space between the base and sphere does it do double damage since the explosion hits both then?
Yes they are two seperate actors, the base(node) and the sphere.. so they both would takedamage. That might account for shooting the base with say a tank, the blast might hit up toward the sphere..where the sphere might block some of the blast toward the base.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

pooty wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:37 pm
Yes they are two seperate actors, the base(node) and the sphere.. so they both would takedamage. That might account for shooting the base with say a tank, the blast might hit up toward the sphere..where the sphere might block some of the blast toward the base.
I'll add that it's not quite double damage. At the closest range a shock combo does 200 damage, but it reduces the further out you go. Shooting the combo in the middle space between you are maybe getting ~150 damage x2.