Bandwidth Fix

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
McLovin
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Bandwidth Fix

Post by McLovin »

infinitecat wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:53 am Something curious.

I changed my netspeed to 50000 but couldn't see other servers using the "Internet" tab. I had to lower it to 25000 to see other servers. (Onslaught only)

UNLESS the servers were in my Favorites, then it didn't matter HOW high I set the netspeed.
Confirmed.

I had to click on each favorite to get it to show map/players/ping.

pooty

Post by pooty »

Yep its a bug in UT/OpenSpy. It was on their discord, the recommend just manually setting your netspeed to see them... dumb if you ask me.
I just mostly play here, occasionally CEONSS or HoC, so I have them favorited.

You can always just console the netspeed to browse, which I do much less than click Omni 2.0 and go.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

There might be a way to fix this with a mutator. I'm pretty sure AntiTCC would flag you as a hacker though.
Anonymous.

Post by Anonymous. »

Looks like a success to me, I'm guessing the last few people are manually setting their netspeed?
asdasd.PNG
asdasd.PNG (38.91 KiB) Viewed 382 times
pooty

Post by pooty »

CPU was pretty good too.
We did go over 60% (MinusKS and/or MassD) with full server. Seemed like it played ok though. If needed we could reduce the tick rate back to 28 from 30, but right now I think leaving it at 30 works, unless anyone noticed any huge issues on those maps.

I have seen consistent InBytes > 20000, so we definitely had a network bottleneck previously...and often it goes 30-40ish, even saw it top 50 once as I mentioned. This change should open the pipes so to speak. Even a full network 60 kB/s * 32 means server needs to send 1.6 Mb/s. Not exactly huge and that's at 100%. If we take it say 25 kB/s average 800 kB/s (6.4 mb/s speed...which was LAN speeds back when this game was developed, now its just slow)
Anonymous.

Post by Anonymous. »

Do you think you could ask NFO to try switching us to ucc-win64? I got these results after about 30 minutes of run time on similarly configured servers (32 bot Torlan):
ucc1.PNG
ucc1.PNG (10.01 KiB) Viewed 355 times
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

I found a bug with the 64 bit version of UT2004.

If you are using 64 bit and have changed your default netspeed in User.ini file, it will get overwritten to 9636 when you launch the game. It will also start at this value when joining the server and bandwidth fix will not work for you. You'll need to run 'netspeed' command when the game starts to manually fix it.

You can also fix this permanently by editing your DefUser.ini file and changing your netspeed value to your desired default value there.

This value is under

Code: Select all

[Engine.Player]
ConfiguredInternetSpeed=9636
ConfiguredLanSpeed=20000
I set mine to 100000