Fire Vehicles...Fire Tank, Fire Manta, Fire Raptor

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
Enyo
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Fire Vehicles...Fire Tank, Fire Manta, Fire Raptor

Post by Enyo »

pooty wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:05 am I increased the damage on the Heat Ray (it was pretty weak). I think I am going to increase the range on the 2nd seat flame thrower just a bit..kills ground troops near the tank and fast on nodes.
That would help for sure... the 2nd seat flame thrower seems like it hits nothing unless you're right on top of the node with it and vehicles/troops more than step or two away don't seem to get hit either. Could you extend it out like the draco's flame, maybe a little less?
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

Yep. It definitely needs to be increased in range. Even to kill a node you have to be right next to it (it will take it down really fast though).
And I'd say the Flame Tank gobs are much better now -- great for node killing, and will kill most tanks quickly.... only downside is you might die too since they take a bit. But you can "spread" them and make a wall of fire (useful on Alienhop-Flooded bridges). It also appears to penerate shields (I took a shielded turtle down pretty easily with it). I wonder if they penatrate the grate on NVM-YEAHH?
pooty

Post by pooty »

So, looking at the Fire Vehicles..
I've adjusted the Fire Resistance of the Ifrit, so its easier to be killed by other Ifrits. Ifrit does take extra damage from bio goo, shock and flak, while having varying degrees of resistance to fire based damage.
In fact, most of the fire vehicles have degrees of resistance to the fire based (napalm, firekill, burned etc) attacks from each other. Its not zero but varies from 15% - 75% (Fire / Flame tanks have the most resistance to each other's attacks... you can basically set each other on fire and not do much damage -- it will obscure vision though).

With respect to the FireballIncindary damage... are we sure that this:

Code: Select all

if(bDoTouch)
{
    foreach TouchingActors(class'Pawn', P)
    { 
      bDoTouch = false;
    }
}
Isn't attaching burning to ALL the actors in the damage radius? Meaning if the fireball explodes between two tanks, it sets both on fire. Hence the foreach?

Going to play with it a bit.
However, I think most really enjoy that fire tank/ifrit projectile as it is today, even with Random damage, so I am hesitant to change it. In fact, I wonder if the random thing was a feature -- depends on how "on fire" the vehicle is...so the damage isn't constant.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Okay, I made the changes as Snarf suggested. Damage still varies somewhat, but its less powerful. It will take 2-4 shots to kill mino/mega. Damage seems to range from 800-1600 per shot. This means no more one-shot, burnt up mino, which imo is okay, bio can one shot it has to be close... It still seems it depends on the vehicle, I could one shot a Mega, and a Mech, most tanks die from it...except seemingly the mino (and fire vehicles because of the resistance).

I think I'll leave the new code in and we can see how it plays....so they Fire Tank and Ifrit use it.... I've often seen it plays a bit different on live server vs. standalne.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

Can you reduce the Ifrit's fire immunity? Right now it's impossible for an Ifrit to kill another Ifrit, which is dumb considering how hard it is to hit any flyer with the Iftit's alt fire projectile. I hit pooty's Ifrit 4 times in a row the other night with an Ifrit and it did nothing. The initial rocket should do regular damage, even if the burning doesn't do anything.

I don't really like the idea of all the fire-based vehicles having fire immunity, there's too many of them, whereas bio vehicles are more rare. There's a much higher chance of having to fight a fire vehicle with another fire vehicle. It would be better to just make some vehicles more susceptible to fire instead, I think some already are. Maybe they can have the extra flame burning do less damage, but initial projectiles should do normal damage.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

pooty wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:21 am With respect to the FireballIncindary damage... are we sure that this:

Code: Select all

if(bDoTouch)
{
    foreach TouchingActors(class'Pawn', P)
    { 
      bDoTouch = false;
    }
}
Isn't attaching burning to ALL the actors in the damage radius? Meaning if the fireball explodes between two tanks, it sets both on fire. Hence the foreach?
It's not damage radius. This is ProcessTouch, so technically it's collision radius, meaning whatever the actual projectile (not explosion) touches.
pooty

Post by pooty »

It seemed to work well in testing.
So uploading 2.5 Changes:
- Updated Vehicle Fire Resistances, mostly reduced, especially for Ifrit
- Slight increase in damage on the FireCannon projectile (it was still mostly useless)
- Slight increase in flamethrower damage (keep in mind this does less damage the farther away from the tank, so close it its quite powerful..especially on nodes)
- Updated the Fireball incindary (details below) this is the alt fire for FireTank and Ifrit.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

Is it me, or does it make a difference where you hit a node with a flame projectile in order for the left behind flames to continue doing damage to the node? I.e. it seem like when you hit a node directly in the middle with the Ifrit alt fire, it doesn't get much burning damage. But, if you hit the outer edge of the node, the flames seem to attach better to the ground right next to the node and continue damaging the node more. Is that really the case, or is the flame damage just kinda random?
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

We will have to try it now, as the logic is a bit different. But much of the vehicle/person damage comes from setting them on fire via a "Burner" inventory item. Nodes can't have inventory, so they won't get a burner. However, it also creates a flame napalm glob basically a burner actor and if its nearby to a node there's a damage radius to the burning globs. From what I've seen it won't create the gobs if you hit the node directly (either the ring or the base). So possibly continuing damage if you hit close to the ring to score a direct hit plus the gobs.
pooty

Post by pooty »

So the fireball incindary is changed (see below) and its on the server. Please provide any feedback. Playing yesterday I think its less powerful than it was previously, and its not all together a bad thing...as its still pretty powerful. Seems to be more consistent now though.

And don't discount the flame tank close up. Its got good speed, its a fast tank, and the full load of napalm globs will kill a mino (you'll probably die as he shoots you before it burns though), and two loads kill a tiamat.