Windows 11

Got a Glitch? Always Lagging? Need help with anything technical? Want to move off Windows XP?
Tater

Windows 11

Post by Tater »

So the new Windows 11 is being pushed out over the next few months, does anyone run it and UT?
I'd like to upgrade to the free Windows 11 when I get the chance but I'd hate to find out that it screws over UT and makes it unplayable.
captainsnarf
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Windows 11

Post by captainsnarf »

you go first :)
pooty

Post by pooty »

I don't want to upgrade, seems like every major windows upgrade brings pain.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

pooty wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:49 am I don't want to upgrade, seems like every major windows upgrade brings pain.
I work on both Mac and PC, the pain is virtually the same for both OS upgrades. I always wait a few months until the biggest bugs get worked out of new major releases and make sure all the software I use is compatible. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

I tried upgrading my old PC that I used to test ut2004 net play.
"The processor isn't currently supported for Windows 11."

Processor: Intel Core i7-6500U @ 2.5Ghz
There is a 'health check' app that tells if you can upgrade.
Provert

Post by Provert »

There are several workarounds for unsupported processors on WIN11. Just do a search and pick one.

I'm like Enyo. I don't upgrade until a year or so. I actually just bought a copy of WIN7 Pro that I was going to put on a disk to only run UT. While there is no WIN7 support for the new AMD processors, there is a workaround for that, too. I just need a few more pieces before I tear everything apart and build my custom loop with copper pipe to match my radiator with copper fins.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

I have three different PCs for work. I installed Windows 11 on two of them.

So far I'm not too impressed. I don't think it's quite ready. On both machines I've run into a bug where the start menu simply stops working and I've had to reboot to fix it. Most things were simply renamed or made more annoying not less.

I needed to mess with a group permission, but I could not find administrative tools. It was renamed windows tools. Shell extensions are harder to use now, requiring more clicks. It's no longer as simple as right click -> edit with VS Code / Vim / whatever. There is an extra 'more options' you have to click on. The new WSL2 is good if you care about that.

This release should have just been another windows 10 update. I think the only reason they are calling it windows 11 is due to the more strict hardware requirements, forcing people to upgrade 7+ year old hardware.

Because of all this I think it's going to be a while before I update my gaming PC to Win 11. I'll probably wait for SP1 or whatever.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

captainsnarf wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:26 pm I have three different PCs for work. I installed Windows 11 on two of them.

So far I'm not too impressed. I don't think it's quite ready. On both machines I've run into a bug where the start menu simply stops working and I've had to reboot to fix it. Most things were simply renamed or made more annoying not less.

I needed to mess with a group permission, but I could not find administrative tools. It was renamed windows tools. Shell extensions are harder to use now, requiring more clicks. It's no longer as simple as right click -> edit with VS Code / Vim / whatever. There is an extra 'more options' you have to click on. The new WSL2 is good if you care about that.

This release should have just been another windows 10 update. I think the only reason they are calling it windows 11 is due to the more strict hardware requirements, forcing people to upgrade 7+ year old hardware.

Because of all this I think it's going to be a while before I update my gaming PC to Win 11. I'll probably wait for SP1 or whatever.
What he said, and you should change your name to Snarf-Ra!
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

Tater

Post by Tater »

I went ahead and updated to Windows 11

Works fine, no issues for the past few days so far with concerns with UT.

OS-wise... only 1 bug with the taskbar so far but no real impact.