How many maps/how long should the Map Rotation be?

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums

How many maps/how long should the Map Rotation be?

Poll ended at Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:57 am

0 - Lets play Minus Mega Arena endlessly
No votes
2-3 Democracy, Mob rule in action.
17%
4-5 Lets let the people decide, and who cares if we play Minus 4 times in a row
33%
8-9 Should be enough not to play the same ones every night, maybe.
No votes
15 Where it is now..
33%
18+ I love variety its the spice of life
17%

Total votes: 12

Super Sanka

Re: How many maps/how long should the Map Rotation be?

Post by Super Sanka »

pooty wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:51 pm Culprit has been identified, as deliberatly forcing maps out of rotation. Admins will decide what to do. This qualifies, under server rules as being a dick.

The culprit, who may be named later, is a player coming in afternoon and deliberately voting certain maps out of rotation. They've done it repeatedly and consistently for the last 5 or 6 days... logs show them voting a map, then immediately voting another and so on.

Anyone in the community have any thoughts what the course of action should be?

In the meantime, I am going to reduce the rotation to 5
Who was it? He must be tarred and feathered. Ban for 6 days !!
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Post by pooty »

Admins are determining whether they should be named and shamed or what exactly what the dose of act right should be.

The Facts:
This player, logs on and just votes maps out of rotation. They did it for 5 days straight, changing their player name each day (guess is to avoid detection as they didn't AFAIK actually play with the names used). Based on the timestamps, they voted a map, as soon as it loaded and map vote was available they voted again (less than 45 seconds or so).. and repeated until the SAME maps were locked (one of them being Dria-Randomizer Leon mentioned). This was based on server logging and because the utstats page doesn't track incomplete matches they don't show up there....it does however show up in the server logs.

To me, the fact its repeated, targeted and they kept changing their name puts in it the "being a dick" and sabotaging the gameplay for everyone else category. This wasn't someone practicing or just exploring a few maps during off hours.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

TotalBurn wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:37 am 1. You can prove intent OR its probable. A 5 day ban and message explaining why and also the ill effects of the actions.
2. The person can claim stupidity. No ban, but messaging as mentioned with the caveat if it happens again, 5 day ban.

As admins you have the tough job of judging people who vote and play a map during the day when no one is online vs someone doing it on purpose to take maps out of rotation.
1. The proof is in the logs and the fact he did it repeatedly over several days, and voted for a new map as soon as he was able, without playing any of them. And, he only voted through the most popular maps that he's publicly whined about not liking.
2. He should claim stupidity because that's exactly what this is. But it's also intentional stupidity, so it should and likely will be punished.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Enyo

Post by Enyo »

pooty wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:43 pm Admins are determining whether they should be named and shamed or what exactly what the dose of act right should be.
And sadly, we'll have to update the server rules to explicitly state, "do not sabotage the map vote rotation by repeatedly voting through maps on an empty server." Dumb... it's because of guys like this there's stupid warning labels on things like Tide Pods that say, "DO NOT EAT."
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
leon

Post by leon »

I agree. 6 days ban (every month) 😜😎.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

A warning might cause more people to do it… Barbara Streisand effect.

It sounds like you have found a motive/pattern but I also know I’ve gone in during the day on an empty server to check out maps. Sometimes just to recall names or to quick check out updates. That’d be the only excuses I can think of.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

If you were on the server about 9pm last night you know the culprit was Ecmerd. Pooty has proof in the logs that it was him, his actions were repeated and intent was clear.

He's been banned for one week and will be allowed back on after that, assuming he knocks it off. So everyone is clear, repeatedly voting and cycling thru maps when the server is empty will result in a ban. It's akin to sabotaging the server, just a very immature way to do it. That's totally different from checking out a map or two, and actually playing the map when nobody is on... that's fine.
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

And to be clear, if you say got on during the day, cycled through a bunch trying to figure out which maps was what, and maybe ran through 6 or more, wouldn't be the best thing, but wouldn't get you banned either. This was deliberate repeated attempt 5+ days every day to put things out of rotation.
amightytribble

Post by amightytribble »

I finally found this thread. All I can say after reading it is I was not doing anything nefarious. I do not feel like I broke a single written or implied server rule, not even the over general "Don't be a dick". The reason for voting through those maps was so I could re-download them. I needed to re-download them because my 'gaming rig' was in a vm temporarily and I kept having trouble with it - after restoring a previous version of the vm I'd need to re-download the 'popular' maps. <- That's my mea culpa. I've finally built my new 'gaming rig' on new hardware and it's running on the metal not a vm and the problem I was having seems to be resolved. I'm not gonna whine, bitch or complain I'm man enough to take my whacks even the previous multiple undeserved ones. Please restore my access after the agreed 7 days.