LinkVehicles 3.0

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: LinkVehicles 3.0

Post by pooty »

Reduced base damage on turrents to ~100-105 to Vehicles. I used vehicle multiplier so that players take ~67. Yep Damage reduction. Similar to other recent changes, players don't take as much damage as vehicles.. gives people on foot more of a chance.

Used 0.45 multiplier. You can have unlimited linkers, but there now a Cap on total multiplier.. it varies per vehicle a bit generally around 3x, that is if you have 6 linkers, most you'll get is triple damage. HeavyLinkTank can go to 3.75x But as you can see below you'd need 5 or 6 linkers...

. Base 1 Linker 2 3 4
LT Beam 150 217.5 285 352.5 2.35x 420 2.8x
LT Turret 104 150.8 197 244.4 2.35x 291.2 2.8x

I think this will balance it out a bit.
pooty

Post by pooty »

So this change will likely mean two link tanks are better off fighting seperately but its highly beneficial for link guns, link scorps to link link tanks.
pooty

Post by pooty »

So I adjusted the Lamprey a bit, halved the negative momentum (tug). Increased the damage a bit on altfire, as it seemed like it had a hard time killing people on foot....
Keep in mind it does full damage close in, farther away from it damage decreases. Close by should kill any foot infantry that isnt shielded or kegged. It does do more damage to vehicles, but doesn't damage empty vehicles.

I looked into the LinkTank turrets colliding with the tank itself. I could fix it, but it just doesn't make sense to--do we really want lasers coming out the ass end in the middle of the tank? just looks silly), I know other vehicles have 360 turrets, but this isn't one of them....the base design is way more powerful forward facing. Also other vehicles have limits on where the turrets/guns can shoot...hell manta only shoots straight ahead. Besides limited arc of fire, benefits flyers, link tank has to pointed generally in the right direction (might not be able to shoot people on foot right next to it like some of the other tanks).

I upped the link stacking slightly (caps still apply). Reduced it on the Vampire tank though (since it heals at the same time).
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

Yeah I agree about the front turret. Which direction you point the link tank is part of the strategy. I don’t think it should be able to 360.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

pooty wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:02 am I looked into the LinkTank turrets colliding with the tank itself. I could fix it, but it just doesn't make sense to--do we really want lasers coming out the ass end in the middle of the tank?
It’s not just firing lasers behind the link tank that gets blocked, sometime you can shoot them sideways and it seems to get blocked by nothing. You almost have to point them straight forward. I get not making them 360, but as they are it’s way to restricted an angle.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

If you set bDoOffsetTrace=true in the turret then it won't collide with itself.
pooty

Post by pooty »

If you set bDoOffsetTrace=true in the turret then it won't collide with itself.
Doesn't work on the link tank laser turrets. I think there's some additional code that's messing with the collision.
It worked on the second plasma turret -- that's where you could shoot right out of the back of the tank -- which seems dumb...people will cry 'hax' when they see that.

I put an updated version on the server this am. I can mess with it a bit on the offsets.. .goal would be able to say shoot level side to side, which I think it does collide there..
pooty

Post by pooty »

FYI, the link tank originally had no turrets (ttanks1b), it was pretty hacky version.
Turrets were added for the LinkTank2.0 (wormbo?)....
As with much of what we find the code quality varies.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Ok, I tweaked some of the offsets. Seems pretty reasonable now. There are angles you get blocked, but feels much better. Part of this is because the collision boxes for the vehicle don't match exactly to what's drawn, try it, go to console KDRAW Collision and you'll see.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Ok a couple of tweaks coming.

Some Damage Reduction on the Lamprey, both primary and alt-fire..its a little too powerful, and maybe some health reduction, too.

OP LinkFlyer. Its health can go too high (450). Add in it heals faster than any other link vehicle = OP. Its going to have max health same as Falcon/RaptorTypes - 300, Ok I'll let it go to 325. Its as agile as falcon, except it can heal itself with the beam which is also too OP. Base Damage for the beam is 125pts/sec vs. players, 187.5 pts/sec vs vehicles! More than any turret... true the link tank beams are quite powerful, but range is limited and so is mobility.. no one is swooping in and dashing away in a link tank, not even Vampire tank which is fast....

Going to reduce it Base Damage 100 pts/sec (Link Gun beam is 75 pts/sec vehicles too), Vehicles 150 pts. And remember the damn thing heals itself at 0.6 so against a vehicle thats 90 pts/sec (before it was 112 pts sec).

So even with the changes still does lots of damage and heals itself, but you have a chance to kill it, at 450 none of the other Raptor flyers except maybe the Flare raptor have over 400, and it doesn't heal itself.

Its all a trade off. Want lots of health (big/slow), want fast (low health), want heal itself and fast -- shouldn't do big time damage, otherwise there's no balance.