International CEONSS vs OMNI matches

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
McLovin
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

International CEONSS vs OMNI matches

Post by McLovin »

I know how to do it. At least the idea maybe.

If we host on our server, we artificially lag the OMNI players. If we play on their server, they get the artificial lag. Simple, right?

I wish MailBox was still around cause he was all over these. I'd even join that worth-less Discord server to do comms right. That's how we did it last time.

PS: My motivation for all this: I just wanna hear that sexy German Ema gal's voice, it makes me melt, LOL
leon

Re: International CEONSS vs OMNI matches

Post by leon »

Sorry McLovin but her first language is Russian (I almost sure).
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

leon wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:44 pm Sorry McLovin but her first language is Russian (I almost sure).
Even better, I love the Ruskie gals!
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

McLovin wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:10 pm we artificially lag the OMNI players
How could we do that? Seems pretty difficult. We might be able to alternate servers though, or even players. We kind of get that now though, with omni players on ceonss and ceonss sometimes playing here.

I'm an ok shot, not the greatest, but I feel like I always slaughter the ceonss players when they join our server heh. That ping...it's ok they get payback when I join theirs. I shoot like a storm trooper on ceonss server. Probably on omni too :lol:
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

captainsnarf wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:02 am
McLovin wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:10 pm we artificially lag the OMNI players
How could we do that? Seems pretty difficult.
I don't know how to implement the lag exactly either. It could be something on the server side running. Probably need to sample incoming pings and add timeouts up to some limit that is averaged for the incoming pings of the CEONSS players. At work, we use native milliSecond msleep() function calls from the OS. Our threads get context switched to sleep for the timeout periods. On implementations without OS support I've seen people use square-root-of-2 calculation for-loops to simulate the same thing.

After the lag addition implementation was solved.
For example, running on the OMNI server.
if OMNI GUID then
// Add milliSeconds of lag, msleep()s.

If server side is too difficult, you could also run something, probably easier to implement, on the client side. In addition to the UT app running, you would run a latency app, slowing down your own pings.

All yucky stuff, really. But it would make it more competitive if everyone had essentially the same ping.

captainsnarf wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:02 am ...
We might be able to alternate servers though, or even players.
That's how MailBox did it. We had mixed teams. When I played on the CEONSS server, I sucked so bad I couldn't help much. It was playable, but it wasn't competitive, nor fun.
EmanReleipS

Post by EmanReleipS »

McLovin wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:10 pm PS: My motivation for all this: I just wanna hear that sexy German Ema gal's voice, it makes me melt, LOL
You know I can read your forum, right? :lol:

Sorry for just seeing this thread now.
If enough people are interested, I can try to organize another match event. What we can do is running the matches on a separate machine or server instance, which would have a mutator called ClanManager installed. This mutator comes with improved netcode, so that should help the side that has the worse ping. Won't be perfect, but much better. ClanManager isn't whitelisted, which is why we haven't enabled it on CEONSS, but this won't matter for the match event, because all participants would get an IP to connect to.
leon wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:44 pm Sorry McLovin but her first language is Russian (I almost sure).
It's not.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

EmanReleipS wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:28 am
McLovin wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:10 pm PS: My motivation for all this: I just wanna hear that sexy German Ema gal's voice, it makes me melt, LOL
You know I can read your forum, right? :lol:
Ema = EmanReleipS !!! I'm in wuv, LOL I guess there is a reason to get on discord after all.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

The one other female, besides Paminator and Yamashita, that actually plays this game comes around and you all turn into starry eyed school boys vying for the same girl. You fellas need to get out more, or get on Tinder or something.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

Did you forget Slothy? She's played a few times in the last six months too...
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

pooty wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:44 am Did you forget Slothy?
I try hard to forget SlothMouth, er Slothy. The last time I spoke/tangled with that one, her comeback was, "I saw you suck a dick". Shuts-em-up right quick, LOL Now I ignore her filthy words. I might have her on mute.